Mental health issues and Faith

  • Thread starter Thread starter Penitent60
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penitent60

Guest
I have struggled with mental health issues all my life. Mostly these days I am pretty well but have problematic periods. My Faith isn’t particularly consoling when I am not well, i.e I am convinced I am damned. I know it is a sin to despair of God’s mercy but it is very difficult to see beyond my wretchedness. It is utterly silly when I say I wish I was dead, because obviously I am terrified I am going to hell. On an intellectual level I know this is foolish, on a “gut” level this is where I am at present.
 
Definitely ATTEMPTING to go to Mass today. I hope not to freak out.
 
Not sure if the Rosary is your thing, but promises #7 and 8 of the 15 promises of the Rosary:
7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have, during their life and at their death, the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.

This helps me because I can get myself overly focused on whether something was a sin, was it venial or mortal, etc, etc. The Rosary helps my objective need to “do something”, and the promises of our Blessed Mother are about as good a surety as I could hope to ask for.

Hopefully it’s helpful to you too!

Peace!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top