Mental Illness and Salvation

• Thread starter Thread starter IanAG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IanAG

I suffer with a severe mental illness called Borderline Personality Disorder which affects my decision making and impulsivity.

Salvation is the state of being saved from sin and its consequences.

Due to my illness I have sinned and experienced the consequences of that sin, including life limiting physical illness and pain. Does that mean that, although I have always done my best to follow Jesus in spite of my illness, I haven’t been saved?

I suffer bipolar disorder. Please do read the following link. The first part is probably more for medical professionals. But the latter part was a real consolation to me in my own difficulties with my disorder and our moral theology and just as you are now.
Scroll down to “If the above holds true”
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAMegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2BAz9hvxriHjFvLTZm-ZvZ

I am very sorry, I am writing this on my mobile as IT technician calls tomorrow to fix, I hope, my computer. Never tried to use my mobile on discussion site, or anything else.
Hopefully I can come back to you tomorrow on my repaired computer.
Meanwhile, you are on a very safe path in my book - if an extremely difficult and confusing one.
Trust fully in Jesus who is far more compassionate and infinite understanding than the very best of humanity could ever be.
Sufferers of serious mental illness especially are asked to bear a tremendously heavy cross in union with Jesus and His Own Shocking Suffering and death while here on earth.

Take care -
Barb, South Aust

Last edited:
Thank you Barb,

Reading that article gave me a whole new perspective on my illness which I haven’t considered before.

Ian

Great news, Ian. It is what the article did for me too.
Regards Barb

The Lord is merciful and understand beyond comprehension.

Remember mortal sin requires full consent and full knowledge. God knows your intentions and he knows your heart. Your mental illness will not get in the way of your salvation 💖

It’s not just a state. We can also think of salvation as a process which is ongoing here on earth, like a journey. In this life, we are not yet free from sin and its consequences. Our salvation will be completed in heaven, and our body and soul made perfect, through Jesus Christ. Trust in him.

Last edited:
Many excellent resources:

https://ncpd.org/disability-ministry/mental-illness

In what ways do mentally ill persons faithfully reflect the image of God? In an address to health care workers in February 2006, Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragán, president of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers, observed that “the mentally ill person resembles our Lord on the cross; and since the cross is the only way to resurrection, the mentally ill person … is worthier and reaches such a level of excellence because of the magnitude of his love and the suffering he endures.” from this USCCB document

Thanks so much for these helpful resources. I have been really blessed by them.

Ian

Last edited:
Thank you, Ian. The address by His Eminence was a great consolation to me also.
I saw that you have another thread on the subject of this thread. I am hoping you will get some answers in that other thread - answers that you need.

I suffer with a severe mental illness called Borderline Personality Disorder which affects my decision making and impulsivity.

Due to my illness I have sinned and experienced the consequences of that sin, including life limiting physical illness and pain. Does that mean that, although I have always done my best to follow Jesus in spite of my illness, I haven’t been saved?
I agree with what C.S. Lewis wrote in Mere Christianity. To paraphrase, God knows what he’s given us and what crosses and blessings we’re working with. He knows if he made one man with a balance temper and one without. He takes all that into account in his judgment. His judgment isn’t blind to these things.

I’ll say separately that, in my view, salvation isn’t merely a state, it’s a way, a road. Stumbling on the long journey isn’t something that’ll damn us. Rejecting the road altogether is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back