A
ajpirc
Guest
I the Gospel of John, chapter 3 verse 16, the Catholic Bible says “might not perish” but many Protestant Bibles say “will not perish”. What did it really say in the original Greek and why are they different?
In Latin16 οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον, ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ’ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον.
The verbs that are in subjunctive can be translated as may not be, let not be, or something to that effect.16 Sic enim Deus dilexit mundum, ut Filium suum unigenitum daret : ut omnis qui credit in eum, non pereat, sed habeat vitam æternam.
This does help a bit more. English is so confusing though so I’ll just have to buy an original Greek Bible to explain things to people next time.I’m not good enough to give you a complete exegesis on the actual Greek, but the problem appears to be one of the translators either not knowing or not caring about the actual sophisticated grammar. The entire phrase, “For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting” has a very specific meaning revolving around God’s love and His gift of His Son to us. It then has a purpose clause, rendered in the subjunctive mood: “that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.”
(For those who care: the subjunctive mood is used when discussing necessity, uncertainty, desire, emotion, or doubt: “May you be happy” is subjunctive – it might or might not happen – as opposed to the indicative “You will be happy” – which will, in fact, happen).
In modern English, “might not perish” and “will not perish” are both wrong. It might be better to render it “for the purpose that whoever believes in Him not perish but have eternal life.” The sentence is not a promise that merely believing will guarantee eternal life; it’s a statement of the goal of the preceding phrase (why God sent His Son).
The same Greek word ἵνα (in order that) is used in Luke 20:14 (Whom when the husbandmen saw, they thought within themselves, saying: This is the heir, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours). It’s a “so that” construction, but it doesn’t mean that they would, in fact, get the inheritance.
The fact that it’s rendered in the subjunctive means that it might or might not happen. So yes, God so loved [indicative; He did in fact love] the world that He gave [indicative; he did in fact give] His only begotten Son, that whosever believes [indicative; whoever does in fact believe] in Him might/would/should/could not perish [subjunctive of purpose; he might or might not perish, but the not-perishing is the purpose of the preceding phrase] but have [subjunctive of purpose; he might or might not have life, but the having-life is the purpose of the preceding phrase] eternal life.
Hope this helps.
Good explanation of the subjunctive. I agree that they’re both wrong. I notice the English-speaking world is slowly losing the distinction between subjunctive and indicative modes. For example, it’s now okay to say “if I was” instead of “if I were” to perhaps further blur this distinction. In this case the listener can more easily conclude the clause is more fact than supposition while the speaker has legally/technically covered himself with stating it as a hypothetical.(For those who care: the subjunctive mood is used when discussing necessity, uncertainty, desire, emotion, or doubt: “May you be happy” is subjunctive – it might or might not happen – as opposed to the indicative “You will be happy” – which will, in fact, happen).
In modern English, “might not perish” and “will not perish” are both wrong. It might be better to render it “for the purpose that whoever believes in Him not perish but have eternal life.” The sentence is not a promise that merely believing will guarantee eternal life; it’s a statement of the goal of the preceding phrase (why God sent His Son).
The same Greek word ἵνα (in order that) is used in Luke 20:14 (Whom when the husbandmen saw, they thought within themselves, saying: This is the heir, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours). It’s a “so that” construction, but it doesn’t mean that they would, in fact, get the inheritance.
The fact that it’s rendered in the subjunctive means that it might or might not happen. So yes, God so loved [indicative; He did in fact love] the world that He gave [indicative; he did in fact give] His only begotten Son, that whosever believes [indicative; whoever does in fact believe] in Him might/would/should/could not perish [subjunctive of purpose; he might or might not perish, but the not-perishing is the purpose of the preceding phrase] but have [subjunctive of purpose; he might or might not have life, but the having-life is the purpose of the preceding phrase] eternal life.
Hope this helps.
Yes, you’re right. The fault lies with English itself, which has lost a lot of the tenses used in other languages. For example:This does help a bit more. English is so confusing though so I’ll just have to buy an original Greek Bible to explain things to people next time.
But what you’re saying is that, in a nutshell, the Father sent the Son “in order that” we have salvation. It’s just saying God sent Christ for our salvation, not saying whether it’s definite or not if we believe.
This is what I got out of it. If it’s not what you meant, please tell me.![]()
Ya, I take Spanish and the changing of the verb into its agreeing “person” is called conjugation. I think all European languages (except English, of course) conjugate their verbs.Yes, you’re right. The fault lies with English itself, which has lost a lot of the tenses used in other languages. For example:
English Indicative…French Indicative
To make…Faire
I make…Je fais
You make…Tu fait
He/she/one makes…Il/elle/on fait
We make…Nous faisons
You make…Vous faites
They make…Ils/Elles font
So you can see that, even in the indicative present tense (which is the “normal” tense for everyday use), French differentiates in the form of the verb more than English does.
English subjunctive…French subjunctive
If I were to make…Si je fasse
If you were to make…Si tu fasses
If he/she/one were to make…S’il/elle/on fasse
If we were to make…Si nous fassions
If you were to make…Si vous fassiez
If they were to make…S’ils/elles fassent
(Sorry about the random spaces appearing there; they don’t appear in my editing screen, and I don’t know why they’re happening).
In English, it’s all the same word, with or without an “s” on the end: make or makes, and you need the noun to know the context. In French, there are ten different forms of the verb.
But even an English speaker recognizes a huge difference between “I make” and “If I were to make.” In fact, note the English national anthem, “God save the Queen.” It’s not indicative (that would be “God saves the Queen”), and it certainly isn’t the imperative (that would be “God, save the Queen” and would be highly inappropriate as a command to God). It’s the subjunctive of desire: “[May] God save the Queen.”
The Gospel of John is using the subjunctive of desire: God sent His Son for the purpose that those who believe in Him [may/would/should] not perish but [may/would/should] have eternal life.
English is a descendant of the Germanic language which was spoken by the barbarians and used by the Reformers who wanted nothing to do with the Church. Today English is stuck with having to use weird auxiliary verbs, such as should, must, may, might, ought, let be, can, shall, etc. and all they do is confuse. And the illiterates and semi-literates are only making it worse.I’ve also noticed that almost all English speaking countries are Protestant! It probably wasn’t the confusing English Bible though. Probably just because they were British colonies and were mostly Anglican.
The original is in Greek, not Latin, and the word is σωθήσεται, which is third-person singular future passive: will be saved, will be made safe, will be safe. And for what it’s worth, the Latin Vulgate (which is just a translation from the Greek) has salvus erit, which is also the third-person singular future passive: will be saved, etc.New Verse - Mark 16:16:
“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned.”
The first time I read this, I thought to myself, “Hmmm, I’ve been baptized and I believe. I’m going to be saved!” So then I thought it sounded too much like Sola Fide.
So, what was the original Greek and original Latin of this verse? Any clarifications on how it relates to Catholic teaching?
It could be but as phrases such as “have went” and “he gone” are becoming more and more accepted even in writing and especially from our politicians, I’m not sure that there is much future in teaching organized and correct grammar. Maybe I can see this better as I’m not a native-English speaker, though.English is just as organized and subtle as Latin. It’s just that those of us who are English speakers are too close to the subject to see it.
Many vernacular languages are constantly changing. I read Blessed Pope John XXIII’s encyclical on Latin that you suggested in another thread. Because Latin isn’t a vernacular, it doesn’t change and therefore can be used throughout the Universal Church without it changing meanings and grammar. If we as Catholics all learn Latin, the Church can issue something and we could know the meaning of it word-for-word without it being translated and words being altered or changed and have people understanding different meanings.It could be but as phrases such as “have went” and “he gone” are becoming more and more accepted even in writing and especially from our politicians, I’m not sure that there is much future in teaching organized and correct grammar. Maybe I can see this better as I’m not a native-English speaker, though.