Miles Jesu

• Thread starter Thread starter wannabee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wannabee

can anyone tell me about this group please.

I seem to be hearing a warning bell - but dont know why

40.png
wannabee:
can anyone tell me about this group please.

I seem to be hearing a warning bell - but dont know why
Well, according to CA, they’re OK.
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9306drag.asp
Here are some young Catholics to whom the label “wimp” never can be applied. They’re members of Miles Jesu, an organization doing much good throughout the world. From their house in Brno in the Czech Republic comes these words from member Mark Whelan:
"We are always looking for new ways to spread the gospel. We are very active in the Czech Republic and Slovakia in evangelization. We teach a weekly Bible class is Bratislava and have two apologetic youth groups in Brno. At the local prison we give conferences on the Catholic faith, and we pass out evangelization tracts on the streets. Our whole aim is to get an educated Catholic laity, to protect them from sects and also to get them to a deeper spiritual life.
“We are being overwhelmed by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Moonies, and, worst of all, secularism. The people and the Church here have no idea of how to cope with these problems. We are doing all we can to help. But raising funds for evangelization seems to be impossible in average Catholic circles.”
Of course, Miles Jesu needs not only funds, but volunteers. It has begun a one-year mission program. Patterned after the missionary program operated by the Mormons (why not take a cue from their success?), the Miles Jesu program asks young people to donate a year of their lives to service of the Church. Expenses are paid mainly by the missionary and his family, which is the way the Mormon missionary program works.
If you or some young person you know might be interested in this outreach, contact Miles Jesu at its main house: Miles Jesu, P.O. Box 256528, Chicago, IL 60625-6528, or call (312) 769-0485.

thank you for those replies

The second Site you published did give some backing to me concern - I quote an extract
Like all priests of his order, Sullivan will be bi-ritual, although he is not yet and can only offer the Latin rite by himself. “I really prefer the liturgy of the Byzantine rite. I think it’s more conducive to prayer. It’s done with a great amount of reverence and it helps move you to communicate with Our Lord. Although you can do the Latin Mass with as much reverence, it’s less common to see it done reverently. I think the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom has more and deeper theological concepts. As you go through the liturgy and think about what you are saying, there’s just more there. It’s longer and more ornate. The Latin rite is progressively losing people to the Byzantine rite.”
Do all their priests have permission from the local Ordinary to Serve Bi-Ritually ?

Also I have heard this from a poster elsewhere
Last night I went to confession and Mass at the founding Miles Jesu community (founded in Phoenix).
Anyways, I guess that they are bi-ritual, they had an iconostasis in the Church (it was quite interesting to attend a Novus Ordo Mass with an iconostasis), we also prayed the pre-communion prayer of St. John Chrysostom before receiving.
I also talked to one of the consecrated lay members of the community, and he just got back from a hard-core retreat at Holy Transfiguration skete in Michigan.
Mixing the 2 Rites in the same service is surely not permitted.

I’m not too worried about Mass RC Mass I mean here ] being celebrated in an Eastern Catholic Church - but mixing the Rites ??

Might I suggest you spend some time in discussion in our Eastern Christianity forum?

We have several posters here who are from Eastern rites, and at least one who is bi-ritual.

40.png
wannabee:
Do all their priests have permission from the local Ordinary to Serve Bi-Ritually ?
Just to clarify one aspect of this question – only deacons get bi-ritual faculties from the two bishops involved. Priests must get this permission from Rome. Since I don’t know enought about this group I cannot speak to the universality of bi-rituality among the priests.
Mixing the 2 Rites in the same service is surely not permitted. I’m not too worried about Mass RC Mass I mean here ] being celebrated in an Eastern Catholic Church - but mixing the Rites ??
Since the pre-communion prayer is really a private prayer said communally in the Byzantine Rite, there really is no problem using it in the Latin Rite. It’s also not too unusual to have an iconostasis in a church where the Mass is being said. There is nothing that would prohibit it.

Deacon Ed (a bi-ritual deacon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back