Millennials Are Out-Reading Older Generations

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, but I wonder at the significance. Since the under 30 crowd includes those in school where reading books is usually a requirement, I would expect the number to be higher for that age group. Time will tell if that makes them life-long readers to a greater degree than the older generations.
 
I’m not sure what to conclude from the “less likely to use libraries” portion of the findings – that millennials are all affluent and so can afford to not borrow books from the library?
 
As for me I’m not a millennial (rather gen-xer) but I don’t use my local library much anymore either. I guess that once I had a steady income I found I preferred to buy books rather than borrow them. Now I have a house full of books I would like to extricate myself from.
 
Unfortunately, after 2008, budget cuts hit libraries quite hard. Some could not afford to buy books or cut hours or closed. A recent overview:

lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/funding/libraries-around-the-country-under-budget-pressure/

My local library began to cut public programs aimed at getting more people to visit.

Best,
Ed
HA! My DH and I were just talking about this Sunday. Seems the libraries are either fabulous (like the ones at and around Universities) or they are abysmal, like the ones in small communities. I was so disgusted with my local library when I discovered that they didn’t have decent copies of the classics. For more recent releases you have to wait on a waitlist for months on end. I went to a few fund-raisers for the library, but they failed to raise big amounts of money to effect any measureable change. The “donation” books looked mostly like books that had been rescued from the ocean floor.
It’s really sad. Other places have wonderful libraries with stacks you can get lost in…perusing all sorts of wonderful antique and new release books.
My daughters have not seen the inside of a quality library for years. 😦
 
Interesting, but I wonder at the significance. Since the under 30 crowd includes those in school where reading books is usually a requirement, I would expect the number to be higher for that age group. Time will tell if that makes them life-long readers to a greater degree than the older generations.
I’d be willing to bet that the school factor is the biggest determining factor here. I’d be curious to see how this study would stand up to the same study done 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. My guess is that, because of school, the younger crowd has always out-read the older crowd. I’d suspect that something else influencing it is the fact that reading is now pushed in schools much more heavily than it was in years past. When I was a kid we did a few book reports each year and the teachers told us the values of reading. When my son was in school it was about the same, although there were more contests and activities to encourage reading than when I was a kid. With my daughters, they are required to have an age-appropriate book to read at all times. If they finish with an assignment or have some other period of quiet time, they’re expected to read. They also have a couple periods each week devoted to quiet reading time. This reading is over and above any assigned reading or book reports.

At the same time, most of the parents around my age require their kids to read for a certain amount of time each week, even if they don’t do any reading themselves. My parents both read quite a bit when we were kids and while they encouraged us to read, it wasn’t mandatory. We make reading a part of our kids’ nightly homework regimen. Even though we give them a set time, they generally read for longer than we tell them. The parents I know who do the same have similar results.
 
My area is not particularly affluent (nor particularly downtrodden, for that matter) but our library is just amazing. I went there the other day for the first time in years, and I was just blown away at all of the renovations they had done. They have increased the amount of lectures, roundtable discussions, book discussions, etc.

Additionally, they have an e-borrowing system that I was unaware of. You can borrow e-books straight from your kindle or nook, or audiobooks from most PCs, and they have a service that lets you download and permanently keep 3 mp3 songs each week. Basically, at the end of every month, you’ve gotten a free album worth of music! Fantastic.

I work from home and I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I work. Thanks to my library’s audiobook lending program, I was able to cancel my Audible subscription ($22.95 per month for 2 audiobooks). That was so cool.
 
As for me I’m not a millennial (rather gen-xer) but I don’t use my local library much anymore either. I guess that once I had a steady income I found I preferred to buy books rather than borrow them. Now I have a house full of books I would like to extricate myself from.
This is why I got a Kindle.

No more books to extricate oneself from.

You can always donate them.
 
Millennials aren’t worried about their finances — maybe that’s why they have plenty of times for leasure things like reading.
 
Millennials aren’t worried about their finances — maybe that’s why they have plenty of times for leasure things like reading.
Sorry but being a Millennial, I just acknowledge that worrying over money is emotionally unhealthy. That doesn’t mean I have plenty of free time on my hands. 🤷

Heck my peers consider me among the most financially cunning folks their age. I’ve been their benevolent ‘loan shark’ on more than one occasion. 😛 Managing your cash flow doesn’t always have to do with how old you are. I’d go as far and say that books on wealth creation are among the many books we read. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top