Missa Cantata - Traditional Dominican Rite, at Church of St Vincent Ferrer

• Thread starter Thread starter TrueLight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrueLight

For those of you who live in or near NYC, In honor of St. Thomas Aquinas, there will be a Missa Cantata according to the Traditional Dominican Rite (Iuxta Ritum, Ordinis, Praedicatorum).

Date: March 7, 2012,
Time: 6:30 PM.

How exciting!

The flyer is attached.

Since I have never seen a traditional Dominican Liturgy, I took a look around and found this blog, which has some excellent pictures from a Traditional Dominican Requiem Mass.

For those of you who live in or near NYC, In honor of St. Thomas Aquinas, there will be a Missa Cantata according to the Traditional Dominican Rite (Iuxta Ritum, Ordinis, Praedicatorum).

Date: March 7, 2012,
Time: 6:30 PM.

How exciting!

The flyer is attached.
You and I definitely have different definitions of exciting. I describe the Rite of the Preachers as conventual and very joyful. Therein lays beauty. It brings out the conventual dimension of the life of the Brother Preachers and their joy. I always came out of it with a smile.

Whenever possible, one of us (Franciscans) always preaches at it on the Solemnity of our Holy Father Dominic. We used to be very familiar with it.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

You and I definitely have different definitions of exciting 🙂
Ha ha.

I’m curious as to the differences between it and the EF.

I found this in Wikipedia
Only the most striking differences between the Dominican Rite and the Roman are mentioned here. The most important is in the manner of celebrating a low Mass. The celebrant in the Dominican Rite wears the amice over his head until the beginning of Mass, and prepares the chalice as soon as he reaches the altar. He says neither the Psalm “Judica me Deus,” and the Confiteor, much shorter than the Roman, contains the name of St. Dominic. The Gloria and the Credo are begun at the centre of the altar and finished at the Missal. At the Offertory there is a simultaneous oblation of the Host and the chalice and only one prayer, the “Suscipe Sancta Trinitas”. The Canon of the Mass is the same as the Canon of the Roman Rite, but the priest holds his hands and arms differently—for some parts of the Canon, his hands are folded, and immediately after the consecration, for the “Unde et Memores,” he holds his arms in a cruciform position. The Dominican celebrant also says the “Agnus Dei” immediately after the “Pax Domini” and then recites the prayers “Hæc sacrosancta commixtio”, “Domine Iesu Christe” and “Corpus et sanguis”, after which follows the Communion, the priest receiving the Host from his left hand. No prayers are said at the consumption of the Precious Blood, the first prayer after the “Corpus et Sanguis” being the Communion.
In a solemn Mass the chalice was brought in procession to the altar during the Gloria, and the corporal was unfolded by the deacon during the singing of the Epistle. The chalice was prepared just after the subdeacon had sung the Epistle, with the ministers seated at the Epistle side of the sanctuary. The chalice was brought from the altar to the place where the celebrant was seated by the subdeacon, who poured the wine and water into it and replaced it on the altar. The incensing of the ministers occurred during the singing of the Preface. Throughout the rite the ministers also stood or moved into various patterns rather different from those of the old Roman Liturgy.

My 20 minutes expired, so here is the link to the article.

Also, even though the Dominicans adopted the Roman Rite after Vatican II,
the permission to adopt the Roman liturgy, however, came with the stipulation that the master of the order, for all friars, and the provincials, for those subject to them, could grant permission to celebrate the traditional Dominican Rite Mass and Office. This faculty continues in force today.
The article also states that the Dominican Rite is celebrated by the Traditionalist Roman Catholic Dominican Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer.
Hmm apparently the Dominican Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer.are not part of the Order of Preachers, but they are seeking to become part of them. It’s interesting how one can find so much little details from looking up one thing.

My 20 minutes expired, so here is the link to the article.

Also, even though the Dominicans adopted the Roman Rite after Vatican II,

Hmm apparently the Dominican Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer.are not part of the Order of Preachers, but they are seeking to become part of them. It’s interesting how one can find so much little details from looking up one thing.
They are part of the Order of Preachers. In fact, their pastor was professor at Providence College and Novice Master. This particular priory is traditionalist. That does not exclude them from the OP.

The OP Master can grant them permission to use the EF exclusively. Any General Superior can grant that permission as long as his brothers do not prohibit him from doing so. The General Superior must obey the friars when they vote.

The OP Master has been granting permission to use the EF of the Roman Missal and to some extent the Dominican Rite. He can do this.

The crux here is that even though St. Vincent Ferrer is a Trad priory, because the OP are an exempt order, SP does not apply to them. The Master General can disband the house at any time and prohibit the public celebration of the EF or the Dominican Rite. I highly doubt this will happen. This is his canonical right. SP makes it clear that regular priests must look to their major superiors on this issue. They can only celebrate the EF or their own Rite in private, provided that the rule allows private celebrations.

This sounds more like a house similar to some Franciscan houses that are also Traditionalists, but with very close supervision from the General Minister.

In any case, their rite is beautiful and very joyful. It’s much more joyful than the EF. The EF is solemn, but reserved. I can’t find a better word. One thing that you will notice in the Dominican Rite is that the friars almost seem to dance around the sanctuary. They have many more movements than the EF has and it’s very well choreographed.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

Added this to my calendar! I’ve never attended anything like it either. 😃

Added this to my calendar! I’ve never attended anything like it either. 😃
You will love it. It’s beautiful and joyful. You will come out of there with that Dominican smirk. 😃

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

They have many more movements than the EF has and it’s very well choreographed.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
And you don’t think I should be excited??!!

Thanks for the info. Wikipedia only goes so far, ha ha.

And you don’t think I should be excited??!!

Thanks for the info. Wikipedia only goes so far, ha ha.
Not that, turkey. 😃

You said before, “It’s so exciting”.

My immediate thought was, “What’s so exciting about the Dominican Rite?”

I find it beautiful and joyful, not exciting. I was talking about the rite itself.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

This looks wonderful, and I hope they do this sometimes at my Priory (which would be easier than flying :D).
The law is that because the OP are an exempt religious order, only the major superior can authorize its use. However, there is another glitch. The major superior can only authorize its use if the friars vote for it. Then the major superior can implement the vote.

Thus far, the exempt communities are being very cautious in their judgment. They are allowing some religious and some houses to use one of the old rites in public, but they don’t want to make it a universal thing, because it will divide their community. The primary duty of every major superior is the longevity of his order. He can’t do something that will cause the house to collapse.

Unless there is a majority vote, the permissions are going to be temporary and very specific. All of us, Traditionalists or mainstream Catholics have to support this. We don’t want to bring the EF or the older rites back at the expense of causing division among men who are brothers to each other. That’s not a good means to a good end. We must place the good of the religious order over our personal preferences.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

The law is that because the OP are an exempt religious order, only the major superior can authorize its use. However, there is another glitch. The major superior can only authorize its use if the friars vote for it. Then the major superior can implement the vote.

Thus far, the exempt communities are being very cautious in their judgment. They are allowing some religious and some houses to use one of the old rites in public, but they don’t want to make it a universal thing, because it will divide their community. The primary duty of every major superior is the longevity of his order. He can’t do something that will cause the house to collapse.

Unless there is a majority vote, the permissions are going to be temporary and very specific. All of us, Traditionalists or mainstream Catholics have to support this. We don’t want to bring the EF or the older rites back at the expense of causing division among men who are brothers to each other. That’s not a good means to a good end. We must place the good of the religious order over our personal preferences.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
I understand Brother, I’m simply hoping they do this sometimes (and with the proper permissions, of course). If they don’t, it’s not a big deal - I’m happy with Mass being in an outhouse so long as it’s Mass, so the Form or Rite itself being used doesn’t bother me.

I understand Brother, I’m simply hoping they do this sometimes (and with the proper permissions, of course). If they don’t, it’s not a big deal - I’m happy with Mass being in an outhouse so long as it’s Mass, so the Form or Rite itself being used doesn’t bother me.
Some of you may want to get together and ask the Prior. He can ask for permission, if he believes that it won’t upset the other friars in the house.

That’s what happened in our house. One of our brothers knows how to celebrate the EF. Some people asked the superior if he could do it. The superior asked the community. The community wanted to know just one thing. “Is this going to be the daily mass for us?” The superior said it was not. The community said, “We don’t care” The superior gave the permission. He does it once a week at a neighboring parish. Once in a while, the brothers attend. That’s when it gets confusing, because then he has to switch over to the EF in Franciscan form. It throw the laity off. But no one really minds.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

True Light,

You just have to go to that Dominican Missa Cantata. For years the wife and I would drive down to Portland, Oregon (98 miles each way) to attend every Dominican Rite Mass we could. As Bro. JR says they are well choreographed. Two of the Altar boys in the photo link you provided, now serve the TLM at our little parish. In fact the priest in the photos would come up to celebrate a low Dominican Mass once a month for us. This began right after Summorum Pontificum and continued until the good Father was transfered to Anchorage Alaska last September.

The Mass is somewhat different; the Confiteor is very different, only one mea culpa and the chalice is prpared right after the priest processes in. A few other differences too. The Propers are not always the same as in the Roman missal. I still have over 100 cardboard missalettes for use at Dominican Masses. Our priest used to send me the correct propers so I could get them printed.

When Incense is used, the thurible is not “swung” but is elevated. Other differences too but most are minor. I’m sure others will inform us of some of them.

I just have to post again; TL you are correct, it is very EXCITING!!!

I went back to your link and remembered that up at Blessed Sacrament church in Seattle, the Dominicans celebrate the Dominican Rite only twice a year and here is a short video of last August’s Mass. I believe it was a Solemn High Mass with the Archbishop in choir and as Homilist.

dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/search/label/Blessed%20Sacrament%20Church

Cheers

I just have to post again; TL you are correct, it is very EXCITING!!!

I went back to your link and remembered that up at Blessed Sacrament church in Seattle, the Dominicans celebrate the Dominican Rite only twice a year and here is a short video of last August’s Mass. I believe it was a Solemn High Mass with the Archbishop in choir and as Homilist.

dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/search/label/Blessed%20Sacrament%20Church

Cheers
Awesome!

Be still my heart.

Corsair, my poor little heart can only take so much excitement! 😃

The music is beautiful as well.

Back at ya. Here is a link to our FSSP website. If you scroll down to the Easter Vigil video from last Easter, you can compare choirs. This is the Bastyr University chapel that we rent for the Triduum each year, Last year we got a motel room and just stayed for the whole thing. northamericanmartyrs.org/

I was so over whelmed with emotions that I cried like a baby every day. Can’t afford to stay again this year but we’ll be there for two of the three days. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back