Modesty is for the devil?

• Thread starter Thread starter raphaela
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raphaela

Ok, here is an interesting debate that my fiance brought up…now he is no way saying that we should all be naked, or that it is ok for women to dress like hookers, he was just thinking one day after I was talking about modest dresses. What he came up with is an interesting theory…

In genesis, it says that Adam and eve began as naked, not being ashamed of beign naked and not being sexually aroused at the idea. The devil thought that this, among many other things was wrong. They shoudl be covered. When adam and eve ate the forbidden fruit, and after God told them off for it, they hid behind fig leaves, ashamed that they were naked and that they could and saw each other naked.

If the devil disliked the idea of people being naked, and God originally made us to be naked and liked that idea, wouldn’t it make more sense for us to be naked to fight the devil? Make more sense to go back to what God originally intended?

Just thought this was interesting, and thought I should share it! (oh but he forgot to think about impure thoughts and sinning by thinking things about another persons spouse and what not, that was my debate against him!!)

The devil likes taking good things and perverting them to lead us away from God. The devil likes it when a virtue is misused as a vice. Lust to replace Love. Gluttony or Greed to replace just satisfying basic needs. and so on.

The devil will take a good thing you are doing and lead you astray one degree, then another if you are not wary. The devil will lead you into excess, where the excess is harmful to you in one way or another.

Be alert. Ground yourself in God. Examine your actions frequently (Examination of Conscience). Keep converting back to God (as you find angles you have taken).

In Genesis, Chapter 3, it doesn’t say anything at all about the devil thinking it was wrong to be naked:

1 Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals that the LORD God had made. The serpent asked the woman, “Did God really tell you not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?” 2 The woman answered the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden; 3 it is only about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden that God said, ‘You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die.’” 4 But the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die! 5 No, God knows well that the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods who know what is good and what is bad.” 6 The woman saw that the tree was good for food, pleasing to the eyes, and desirable for gaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized that they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves.

Oh, ok, then maybe we got the idea that the devil thought it was wrong from another book. But I know we have both heard that somewhere…hmmm…I think I will have to go investigate!!

“Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized that they were naked”
  • At this point innocense was destroyed. I guess Adam and Eve thought they got smart and decided to cover up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back