Monastic hospitality

• Thread starter Thread starter sir_galahad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sir_galahad

Hi! I found a webpage of a contemplative order of Maronite monks that, under the tradition of monastic hospitality, allow men to visit with them for a sort of self-directed monastic retreat. Problem is that they’re over 5 hours from my house. Can anyone recommend a webpage that might have links to help me find a similar monastery (preferably Roman rite) closer to home? Thanks!

Sir Galahad,

Depends on where you live; could you identify your city / state ?

Sir Galahad,

The only religious community that I am aware of in Pennsylvannia is in Erie. A community of Benedictian Sisters, let me know if you need any additional information.

Your brother in Christ,

Mark

Dont know if I can help, but I believe West Nanticoke is the same diocese as me. Diocese of Scranton, Sir Galahad?

Thank you for the websites (yeah, I am in the diocese of Scranton). I’m sure they’ll be very helpful. I’m wondering if anyone knows about the Trappists. Are they an orthodox order? I was a little perplexed to see that non-Catholics were allowed to use their facilities for monastic retreats.

sir galahad:
Thank you for the websites (yeah, I am in the diocese of Scranton). I’m sure they’ll be very helpful. I’m wondering if anyone knows about the Trappists. Are they an orthodox order? I was a little perplexed to see that non-Catholics were allowed to use their facilities for monastic retreats.
Sir Galahad:

The Cistercians of the Strict Observance (i.e. Trappists) is the order of Thomas Merton. This has influenced many of their monasteries especially the ones that promote Centering Prayer.

Since you are in the Scranton area, check with the Benedictines in both NY and NJ. Here is a link to the Benedictine Retreat Houses. Pine City is probably the closest to you. I am familiar with the congregation that runs the Pine City and Morrisville monasteries since I went to college where their Archabbey is. They are middle of the road when it comes to their orthodoxy.

You may also want to check with the Passionists at St. Ann’s Basilica in Scranton. They may be able to give you some names.

The only other place I can think of that is close to Scranton is the Ave Maria Retreat House at Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown, PA (About 30 minutes N of Philadelphia).

I hope this helps.

PF

I grew up just an hour west of Philly. One of the families I babysat for took a year to go live at an abby somewhere near there. I could ask around as I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the place.

40.png
marke:
Sir Galahad,

The only religious community that I am aware of in Pennsylvannia is in Erie. A community of Benedictian Sisters, let me know if you need any additional information.
Mark:

Is that the one with Joan Chistler in it? If so, I would stay as far away from that group as possible.

PF

Thank you. I know the priests at Doylestown are very good. I’m Polish so I like to go there sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back