Moral Obligation

• Thread starter Thread starter teresawill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teresawill

Is it one’s obligation to report a priest that they know is not acting within his vows of celibacy?

Last edited:
I do. Very concrete proof. I just don’t know what to do with it. I don’t know if its my place to say anything.

I am not sure if you have a strong moral obligation, but why wouldn’t you report him?

I don’t know. I don’t wish to cause scandal, but at the same time I know the relationship isn’t good for him or the woman involved.

“very concrete proof” = I’d report it to the bishop…my $0.02.

No offense, but unless you were present in the room while an illicit act went on I don’t know how you would ‘know’ the priest was not upholding his vow of celibacy. I know it’s not fashionable to say this today, but women can lie, so if your best friend for example shared that she was ‘involved’ with the priest and that’s your ‘proof’, it would be no more than hearsay.

Its a complicated story, but I have seen things, and am very close to the person he is involved with. While she has not directly told me, I know. I tried to message you privately, but I can’t.

Last edited:
Allegations like this need to be taken seriously and reported. It’s up to the Diocese, (and the State, if she’s underage), to investigate who is lying and who is telling the truth.

@teresawill If you know for sure that it’s happening, report it. I would see a moral obligation here. To state this mildly and dispassionately, an affair with a parishioner impedes on the priest’s professional and spiritual obligations.

Absolutely report it. The problem with the church rn is that truly good and righteous men and women don’t stand up to wicked priest like this. Take this opportunity to fight for your King and the Church.

Send an email to your bishop! I went through a similar process about two weeks ago and had a meeting with the bishop. I typed out a very detailed account and gave it to him and discussed any questions he had.

Report it immediately.

There are all sorts of proofs a person can have that don’t involve being in the room.

It’s also the Bishop’s job to discern whether or not your report merits anything not yours. Just give him the info you have and let him decide whether or not it’s valid.

I don’t know. I don’t wish to cause scandal, but at the same time I know the relationship isn’t good for him or the woman involved.
Well, if you have concrete proof, it seems of import.
I totally understand not wanting to ruin his life, but if he really is not living to his calling, that can be a sign of much worse (it is already bad enough!). It is up to the Bishop to act in this. Let him know.

I don’t know what the concrete proof is, but if you have it it seems serious.

Last edited:
Is it one’s obligation to report a priest that they know is not acting within his vows of celibacy?
There is a national hotline to call for reporting instances of sexual abuse. It was voted in by the Catholic bishops in November although I’m not sure if it’s up and running yet. For something consensual it would probably be reported to the local bishop but it wouldn’t hurt to call the hotline as well just so it’s in circulation at the national level.

In your shoes, I would feel morally compelled to report it.

Peace.

Last edited:
I totally understand not wanting to ruin his life
Also: if a priest is breaking their vows of celibacy, then they are already ruining their own life.

Peace.

Last edited:
40.png
teresawill:
Well, if you have concrete proof, it seems of import.
I totally understand not wanting to ruin his life, but if he really is not living to his calling, that can be a sign of much worse (it is already bad enough!). It is up to the Bishop to act in this. Let him know.

I don’t know what the concrete proof is, but if you have it it seems serious.
I don’t think it would “ruin his life”. I could be wrong, but I don’t think a priest would be suspended (at least not permanently) nor defrocked against his will for a private affair with a woman of consensual age. The way it should work is for the bishop to have a talk with him, in person, in no uncertain terms, and confront him with the accusations. He should be ordered immediately to cease this affair, and if necessary, be transferred to another part of the diocese (or possibly even another diocese if necessary). This is not hiding some illegal activity or abuse. It is merely seeing a situation and “nipping it in the bud”. Spiritual help should also be offered to help him come to terms with this failing, and depending on the situation, some time in a monastery or similar place might not be out of the question.

Even in secular life, I have known of men losing their jobs over an affair, back when people cared about things such as this. It’s not just a priestly celibacy thing. There was even a case, at one employer, where a single woman and a married man were having an affair. Human Resources called them in and took them to the woodshed over it. They didn’t lose their jobs but they had to stop the affair.

Last edited:
Personally I think you should. Our priests are held to certain standards and vows for a reason and many problems could arise if this is not dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back