Morality and Stay at Home orders

• Thread starter Thread starter theodosius
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theodosius

Given that many of us are currently living in areas where the civil authorities have issued emergency orders for citizens to stay at home and avoid going out for non-essential activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a question occurred to me about the orders of civil authorities and morality.

In my state, for instance, the Governor has issued a stay at home order that includes the closure of all non-essential business. Strictly speaking, all gatherings over 25 people are banned, and all gatherings of under 25 people where a distance of six feet apart cannot be maintained at all times are likewise prohibited. However, the authorities have strongly advised us to remain at home, if we are able to do so.

So, this got me thinking about following the “letter of the law” and the “spirit of the law”, and whether certain violations of civil orders count as sins or not. For instance, if I were to get together with a small group of friends but still maintain a distance of six feet, ignoring the strong advice of the state but still technically following the law, would this be sinful? And if so, would it be, in the opinion of those here, only a venial sin, but not grave?

Not saying I intend to do any of this, I’m just genuinely curious, because of all the grey areas this presents. Thoughts?

but still technically following the law
No law broken, no disobedience, where is the sin? (Rhetorical question)
My own state has stay at home and no gatherings of more than 10. Maintain at least 6 feet, and no touching. Masks recommended for all. Outside exercise for maintaining health permitted. Walking/hiking/even fishing is all permitted. Encounter another person, maintain distance and carry on. I even saw a small group, about 6 sitting in folding chairs in a grassy spot of a wally-world outer parking area. No problems.
Pray for us all.
Dominus vobiscum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back