More US bishops require permission for priests to celebrate 'ad orientem'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpmj12

Bishops in the United States continue to issue new restrictions on the celebration of the ordinary form of the Mass ad orientem alongside implementation of Pope Francis’ restrictions on the extraordinary form of the liturgy.

The policies, now in place in dioceses across the country, require priests to seek permission to offer Mass facing East, even while many liturgical scholars regard the practice as a legitimate option in canon law and liturgical texts.

The legality of these new restrictions is unclear and, as yet, untested, while bishops in different places have offered different rationales for their policies.

Bishop Edward Rice of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau, Missouri, issued Aug. 7 a text on the diocesan implementation of the pope’s own legislation
Traditionis custodes* , regulating the celebration of Mass according to the extraordinary form.*

“So what does Traditionis custodes ask of the bishop?” Rice wrote in the letter, which was termed on the diocesan website a motu proprio.

“Referring to Bishops as ‘Guardians of tradition,’ we are called ‘to facilitate the ecclesial communion of those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms and not to others.’”

Noting that Pope Francis defines the ordinary form of the Mass to be the “unique expression of the ‘lex orandi’ of the Roman Rite,” Rice wrote that it is his responsibility to ensure that “groups who attend Mass according to the Missal prior to the reform of 1970 do not deny the validity and legitimacy of the liturgical reform dictated by Vatican II.”

The bishop’s text went on to explain that, after he wrote to the Dicastery for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the diocese has been granted by the Vatican a two-year period to identify a suitable venue for the celebration of the prior form of the liturgy, and that he had determined that it will be held stably in a student center in Springfield, in line with the norms of Traditionis custodes.

Departing from the provisions of Traditionis, however, Rice ended his text by saying, “I request at this time that all priests celebrate Mass facing the people.”

“As of the writing of this column, I have had no priest request permission to celebrate Holy Mass in any other way. And with the documents cited in this column, I have tried to highlight my rightful authority in making this request.”

Rice’s request, apparently referring to the celebration of the ordinary form of the Mass versus populum, raises a number of canonical issues.

The legal status of the bishop’s request is not clear.

Rice’s letter does seem to suggest, however, that he intends that priests of the diocese obtain his permission before celebrating Mass according to the ordinary form while facing ad orientem.

Similar policies have been issued by other American diocesan bishops in recent weeks, months, and years, though their legal authority is unclear.

Those policies have also raised a number of questions about the scope and intent of the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, as well the limits of bishops’ authority to regulate otherwise approved forms of the liturgy.

Read on here…

I feel like a mother hen, but if only, if only those who want access to the TLM or the OF ad orientum, would focus on the virtues of obedience and humility… fruits which would demonstrate the spiritual efficacy of the forms they desire.

Our new secular institutes’ Autism outreach will be sponsoring “Neurodivergents for the Old Roman Rite Association” (NORRA). There are plenty of reasons to maintain the Old Roman Rite, and Autism is one of them.

Whilst I attend a “novus ordo” parish, and even do the livestream twice a week, I’m still partial to the Old Roman Rite. Unfortunately, the closest one is not available when I am.

Blessings,
Cloisters

Our new secular institutes’ Autism outreach will be sponsoring “Neurodivergents for the Old Roman Rite Association” (NORRA). There are plenty of reasons to maintain the Old Roman Rite, and Autism is one of them.
When I first read this, I said “what?”, but it does make sense.

Not everyone who prefers the TLM is autistic, to be sure, but the TLM is definitely “autistic-friendly”. The relative silence and not requiring constant interaction and communalism would be well-received by anyone on the autism spectrum.

I am not on the spectrum, but I think I have an understanding of how neurodiversity “works”, and I am sympathetic to it. I don’t doubt that there are people in the world who are disabled on account of having a different thought process, but the world has been immeasurably enriched by luminaries who are perceived as a bit “eccentric”. Einstein, Edison, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and others immediately come to mind, and I don’t doubt there have been many saints and mystics who, in the modern age, would be dismissed as autistic.

241501_2.png
gpmj12:
More US bishops require permission for priests to celebrate 'ad orientem'

I feel like a mother hen, but if only, if only those who want access to the TLM or the OF ad orientum, would focus on the virtues of obedience and humility… fruits which would demonstrate the spiritual efficacy of the forms they desire.
Do you feel that those who want access to the TLM or the ad orientem are being disobedient and lack humility?
There are some people that can happily alternate between the OF and EF recognizing their choice as a personal preference … but unfortunately many treat the TLM as objectively superior and lose true objectivity and lose respect for the Pope and the VII Council. That’s the cultish draw of the TLM movement that warranted the Moto Proprio. The Pope wrote…

“Regrettably, the pastoral objective of my Predecessors, who had intended “to do everything possible to ensure that all those who truly possessed the desire for unity would find it possible to remain in this unity or to rediscover it anew”, has often been seriously disregarded. An opportunity offered by St. John Paul II and, with even greater magnanimity, by Benedict XVI, intended to recover the unity of an ecclesial body with diverse liturgical sensibilities, was exploited to widen the gaps, reinforce the divergences, and encourage disagreements that injure the Church, block her path, and expose her to the peril of division.”

If it’s not possible to embrace both the love of the TLM and continue to embrace the mission of Vatican II as directed by the Pope, that’s a serious crisis of faith.

There are some people that can happily alternate between the OF and EF recognizing their choice as a personal preference … but unfortunately many treat the TLM as objectively superior and lose true objectivity and lose respect for the Pope and the VII Council. That’s the cultish draw of the TLM movement that warranted the Moto Proprio. The Pope wrote…

“Regrettably, the pastoral objective of my Predecessors, who had intended “to do everything possible to ensure that all those who truly possessed the desire for unity would find it possible to remain in this unity or to rediscover it anew”, has often been seriously disregarded. An opportunity offered by St. John Paul II and, with even greater magnanimity, by Benedict XVI, intended to recover the unity of an ecclesial body with diverse liturgical sensibilities, was exploited to widen the gaps, reinforce the divergences, and encourage disagreements that injure the Church, block her path, and expose her to the peril of division.”

If it’s not possible to embrace both the love of the TLM and continue to embrace the mission of Vatican II as directed by the Pope, that’s a serious crisis of faith.
I don’t believe that those who preferred the TLM to the OF had any misgivings about Pope Francis before he was elected. The Church was already in a state of turmoil, plagued by the sex abuse scandals, the coverups, the homosexual allegations by numerous priests, the Vatican bank scandal, and all of that is in addition to the issues about the loss faith and lack of reverence amongst the faithful.

When Pope Francis took over, I think everyone expected more to be done. We wanted accountability from the top down and instead we were given absolution.

Our new directive was to focus on social justice. We were made to believe that our greatest threat wasn’t supernatural, but environmental. Mother Earth and indigenous worship were incorporated Catholic belief and practices.

The TLM became a refuge of sorts. Tradition and orthodoxy were viewed as the defense against these modern amalgamations of Catholic and non catholic religions.

It no longer feels like we’re being lead, but pushed.

241501_2.png
gpmj12:

I don’t believe that those who preferred the TLM to the OF had any misgivings about Pope Francis before he was elected. The Church was already in a state of turmoil, plagued by the sex abuse scandals, the coverups, the homosexual allegations by numerous priests, the Vatican bank scandal, and all of that is in addition to the issues about the loss faith and lack of reverence amongst the faithful.

When Pope Francis took over, I think everyone expected more to be done. We wanted accountability from the top down and instead we were given absolution.

Our new directive was to focus on social justice. We were made to believe that our greatest threat wasn’t supernatural, but environmental. Mother Earth and indigenous worship were incorporated Catholic belief and practices.

The TLM became a refuge of sorts. Tradition and orthodoxy were viewed as the defense against these modern amalgamations of Catholic and non catholic religions.

It no longer feels like we’re being lead, but pushed.
It’s a cliche but “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

I tend towards the billions of Catholics who believe that the Holy Spirit is leading the Church into a new era of engagement with the world. Being a witness more like Christ demonstrated than clinging to institutionalisation that’s become a top heavy bureaucracy.

That’s what Pope Francis is doing with his unique charism as Pope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back