Mortal sin or scrupulosity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YellowPancakes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YellowPancakes

Guest
I suffer from scrupulosity but the past week I have noticed some improvement with the help of a priest. Today I was in class and an impure thought stumbled into my mind. Now for some reason I thought it was a mortal sin as I was sorta expecting the thought. I have increased the control over my thoughts, so as soon as it entered I made sure it left quickly. So later on I was sorta examining my actions to make sure it wasn’t a mortal sin, and a similar thought came into my mind.

Have I sinned by trying to remember what happened? I didn’t want the thoughts, I was just making sure I hadn’t sinned. Thanks. 😃
 
I think you are worrying for no reason
Most likely haha. Are impure thoughts only grave matter if you dwell on them for arousal? If so I’m sure that I’m fine and overreacting, as I was basically examining my actions. However I have trust issues with my conscience at the moment so I’m always looking for reassurance. 🙂
 
I know what you’re going through cause I have scrupulosity too. It’s tough but keep following what your priest says. Also it helps to receive the Sacraments and pray the Rosary. Make sure you keep talking to your priest and following his advice.

I’d’ say if you were simply trying to remember the sin to examine your conscience, that in itself is not a sin cause otherwise we’d be sinning every time we examined our conscience for Confession!

An impure (or any) thought is a sin if you consent to it. So if you internally agree to it… say yes to it… dwell on it… or act on it. If you get a thought you can’t control and you don’t dwell on it but reject it - the thought was not in your control but the rejection was, so you have not sinned but in fact earned merit. You need to not dwell on the thought though and become strong so you can reject it right away, to avoid sin. Don’t constantly worry about this cause the worry wouldn’t help at all. Try to rely on God’s strength instead of your own and learn greater trust in Him.

Scrupulosity is hard but it can be overcome, don’t give up, and there are Saints who struggled with scruples (such as St Therese). It’s very important for a scrupulous person to speak with their priest about this so they don’t rely on their own feelings: this has been my mistake personally! Maybe next time you see your priest, you can ask about this 🙂 meanwhile try to examine your conscience with no scrupulosity or presumption, but simply and honestly, and calmly, because it’s hard to hear God when we’re so anxious. Greater trust can help with the anxiety. If you suffer from this, maybe try to offer the suffering to God for an intention, dont consent to the scrupulosity though.

God bless!
 
I know what you’re going through cause I have scrupulosity too. It’s tough but keep following what your priest says. Also it helps to receive the Sacraments and pray the Rosary. Make sure you keep talking to your priest and following his advice.

I’d’ say if you were simply trying to remember the sin to examine your conscience, that in itself is not a sin cause otherwise we’d be sinning every time we examined our conscience for Confession!

An impure (or any) thought is a sin if you consent to it. So if you internally agree to it… say yes to it… dwell on it… or act on it. If you get a thought you can’t control and you don’t dwell on it but reject it - the thought was not in your control but the rejection was, so you have not sinned but in fact earned merit. You need to not dwell on the thought though and become strong so you can reject it right away, to avoid sin. Don’t constantly worry about this cause the worry wouldn’t help at all. Try to rely on God’s strength instead of your own and learn greater trust in Him.

Scrupulosity is hard but it can be overcome, don’t give up, and there are Saints who struggled with scruples (such as St Therese). It’s very important for a scrupulous person to speak with their priest about this so they don’t rely on their own feelings: this has been my mistake personally! Maybe next time you see your priest, you can ask about this 🙂 meanwhile try to examine your conscience with no scrupulosity or presumption, but simply and honestly, and calmly, because it’s hard to hear God when we’re so anxious. Greater trust can help with the anxiety. If you suffer from this, maybe try to offer the suffering to God for an intention, dont consent to the scrupulosity though.

God bless!
Thanks very much. It felt for some reason that I may have given partial concent at the time which was why I was trying to remember what happened. I realise now I was most likely being scrupulous.
Sometimes it’s so hard to distinguish between being scrupulous and a sin. I guess I’ll just have to do my best, be honest to myself and God and trust in him. After all God’s not going to be mad and send me to hell if I do my best is he? 🙂
 
Scrupulosity is awful. Just try and trust yourself and trust in Gods love and mercy.
Say - “Jesus, I trust in You” 🙂
 
I think you are worrying for no reason
Well - I would offer that a reason to “worry” would simply be so that YP does not fall back into scrupulous behaviors. But you are right about the matter of the specific issue described. No real problem here.
Most likely haha. Are impure thoughts only grave matter if you dwell on them for arousal? If so I’m sure that I’m fine and overreacting, as I was basically examining my actions. However I have trust issues with my conscience at the moment so I’m always looking for reassurance. 🙂
Yes the thoughts are only problematic if we dwell on them for arousal.
In the first instance it is obviously a matter of not being able to prevent a “random thought”. As soon as you recognized it you dismissed it…this is an excellent response.
In the second instance, you were examining your conscience. In doing so you were not “seeking” an impure thought and yet it is natural that the thought, or the essence of the thought reoccurred. Again - you dismissed it out of hand.

Next time you are speaking with your priest, I would actually mention this as a “victory” since you recognized what was happening and rejected it…both the thought and the scrupulous tendency. And it is your victory in the Holy Spirit. All we are doing is confirming that victory with you.

Peace
James
 
Well - I would offer that a reason to “worry” would simply be so that YP does not fall back into scrupulous behaviors. But you are right about the matter of the specific issue described. No real problem here.

Yes the thoughts are only problematic if we dwell on them for arousal.
In the first instance it is obviously a matter of not being able to prevent a “random thought”. As soon as you recognized it you dismissed it…this is an excellent response.
In the second instance, you were examining your conscience. In doing so you were not “seeking” an impure thought and yet it is natural that the thought, or the essence of the thought reoccurred. Again - you dismissed it out of hand.

Next time you are speaking with your priest, I would actually mention this as a “victory” since you recognized what was happening and rejected it…both the thought and the scrupulous tendency. And it is your victory in the Holy Spirit. All we are doing is confirming that victory with you.

Peace
James
Yeah I did dismiss it the second time but I felt bad. I will mention this to my priest, thank you. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top