Mortal sin with no knowledge?

• Thread starter Thread starter JC125
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JC125

Is it possible to commit a mortal sin if you did not know that it was a mortal sin? What if you find out after you commit the sin? Someone told me that in that case, the sin would be venial, and while recommended, not necessary to confess. Is that correct?

No its not. Some of those who are better equipped at Theology should join this thread when the Americans wake up, and expand more on the reasons

😀

Last edited:
As far as I know, you can’t commit a mortal sin without knowledge.

A mortal sin requires three things:
  1. Its subject matter must be grave.
  2. It must be committed with full knowledge (and awareness) of the sinful action and the gravity of the offense.
  3. It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent of the will.
Obviously if, at the time you committed the sin, you didn’t have full knowledge that you were committing a sinful action and/or that it was grave, then element (2) is missing and your sin is likely venial. However, to be on the safe side, I would mention it in confession.

The act is still sin, but our culpability for committing the sin changes depending on the criteria given in the post above. So it’s possible to commit the act without it being mortal, I.e. deadly, for us.

Last edited:
Is it possible to commit a mortal sin if you did not know that it was a mortal sin? What if you find out after you commit the sin? Someone told me that in that case, the sin would be venial, and while recommended, not necessary to confess. Is that correct?
Yes for sin, both grave matter and voluntary, with crass ignorance. Neglect in forming the conscience is a grave matter so may be mortal sin.

Catholic Encyclopedia
When ignorance is deliberately aimed at and fostered, it is said to be affected, not because it is pretended, but rather because it is sought for by the agent so that he may not have to relinquish his purpose. Ignorance which practically no effort is made to dispel is termed crass or supine.

Even vincible ignorance, either of the law or fact, which is not crass, excuses one from the punishment.
Delany, J. (1910). Ignorance. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07648a.htm

Catechism of the Catholic Church
1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man "takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin."59 In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.
59 Gaudium et spes 16.

1859 … Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.
133 Cf. Mk 3:5-6; Lk 16:19-31.
Gaudium et spes
16. In the depths of his conscience, man detects a law which he does not impose upon himself, but which holds him to obedience. Always summoning him to love good and avoid evil, the voice of conscience when necessary speaks to his heart: do this, shun that. For man has in his heart a law written by God; to obey it is the very dignity of man; according to it he will be judged.(9) Conscience is the most secret core and sanctuary of a man. There he is alone with God, Whose voice echoes in his depths.(10) In a wonderful manner conscience reveals that law which is fulfilled by love of God and neighbor.(11) In fidelity to conscience, Christians are joined with the rest of men in the search for truth, and for the genuine solution to the numerous problems which arise in the life of individuals from social relationships. Hence the more right conscience holds sway, the more persons and groups turn aside from blind choice and strive to be guided by the objective norms of morality. Conscience frequently errs from invincible ignorance without losing its dignity. The same cannot be said for a man who cares but little for truth and goodness, or for a conscience which by degrees grows practically sightless as a result of habitual sin.

Last edited:
While you’re not technically culpable for the consequences of mortal sin without all the factors, once you have knowledge of the gravity the responsibility to restore whatever it is you have done wrong remains. The sin is still grave, even if not mortal. And sin is not a purely personal matter. Our sin affects others, and it’s good to restore order and justice, as well as possible.

Is it possible to commit a mortal sin if you did not know that it was a mortal sin?
No, it’s not. Moreover deliberate consent is needed; if you were coerced then it’s not a mortal sin either.

Though I should mention that there are some things which fall under Natural Law, meaning humans of sound mind know them innately. The biggest example is murder.

Last edited:
40.png
goout:
The sin is still grave, even if not mortal.
No, the sin is not grave without full knowledge. “Grave sin” == “mortal sin”.
Nope. Grave matter is grave matter, with or without knowledge. The matter of an act is not the same thing as your culpability for it.

Last edited:
Is it possible to commit a mortal sin if you did not know that it was a mortal sin?
I hope not.

I have many friends who I know are, or have been, illicitly sexually active during their lives. Also, they are not particularly “religious.”

I pray for them everyday and hope that God will show them mercy because they are blissfully unaware that their actions could compromise their salvations.

40.png
Anesti33:
40.png
goout:
The sin is still grave, even if not mortal.
No, the sin is not grave without full knowledge. “Grave sin” == “mortal sin”.
Nope. Grave matter is grave matter, with or without knowledge. The matter of an act is not the same thing as your culpability for it.
You said “grave sin”, not “grave matter”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back