Mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christ_Conquers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christ_Conquers

Guest
Hi Everyone,
When you commit a mortal sin, do you have to realize that it’s a mortal sin as your doing it? because with a lot of sins, if i really thought about it, i wouldn’t do it.

A lot of times i willfully (or what seems to be willful) think a sinful thought, i don’t seem to fully realize what i did until after the thought. Usually I don’t think to fight the thought till after that point, but i’m not sure if i’m just making excuses because the thoughts are purposely thought and it feels like i’m going against my will, but it happens so fast that i’m not sure if i had time to fully will it.

I’m trying to decide whether i should receive communion tomorrow. I usually decide to go based on the fact that i don’t know for sure if i’m in mortal sin, or because i have doubts about full consent. Now i think that i’m maybe just being to technical. I am scrupulous, although it hasn’t been very bad lately.

Thanks!
 
It’s a mortal sin if you realize that it is serious (grave) matter, and have time to think or say, “I’m going to do this anyway”, then go ahead and do it.

Best to confess it anyway.
 
Hi Everyone,
When you commit a mortal sin, do you have to realize that it’s a mortal sin as your doing it? because with a lot of sins, if i really thought about it, i wouldn’t do it.

A lot of times i willfully (or what seems to be willful) think a sinful thought, i don’t seem to fully realize what i did until after the thought. Usually I don’t think to fight the thought till after that point, but i’m not sure if i’m just making excuses because the thoughts are purposely thought and it feels like i’m going against my will, but it happens so fast that i’m not sure if i had time to fully will it.

I’m trying to decide whether i should receive communion tomorrow. I usually decide to go based on the fact that i don’t know for sure if i’m in mortal sin, or because i have doubts about full consent. Now i think that i’m maybe just being to technical. I am scrupulous, although it hasn’t been very bad lately.

Thanks!
If you know an act is a sin of grave matter and do it anyway then that is a mortal sin.
You do not have to stop and ponder before doing it for it to be a mortal sin.
It makes me smile when people say well I knew it was a sin of grave matter but because I committed the act without stopping to think about it then its not a mortal sin. They are only deluding themselves. It is a mortal sin.
 
Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI
  1. When does one commit a mortal sin?
1855-1861
1874

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
  1. When does one commit a venial sin?
1862-1864
1875

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

The numbers in the margin will refer you back to the Catechism.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#IV
 
As to scruples…it is very important to have a “regular confessor” who knows of ones difficulty with scruples and will guide one. Such is an age old practice but sometimes those who struggle with such do not realize such is important.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top