Mortal Sin

• Thread starter Thread starter findingHIM478
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

findingHIM478

All my life, I have believed that the only way a sin could be mortal is if it included hatred towards God, a knowledge of how wrong the sin actually is, and if the sin itself was very wrong. But now, after studying Baltimore Catechism, I’ve learned that the three standards above aren’t the only things that can make a sin mortal. So now I’m really confused and I need to know what exactly makes a sin mortal. Is it just like I’ve always believed, it only takes three things to make a sin mortal? Or, does it take more than that? I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

GOD BLESS!

Three conditions:
  1. Grave matter.
  2. Full knowledge
  3. Complete Consent of the Will
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church
1857 For a *sin * to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131
1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."132 The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.
1859 Mortal sin requires *full knowledge * and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

40.png
findingHIM478:
Is it just like I’ve always believed, it only takes three things to make a sin mortal? Or, does it take more than that? I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
You have the number right. According to the BC:
56. Q. How many things are necessary to make a sin
mortal?
A. To make a sin mortal three things are necessary:
  1. a grievous matter,
  2. sufficient reflection, and
  3. full consent of the will.
catholic.net/teaching_the_faith/template_article.phtml?channel_id=14&article_id=750#RTFToC5

40.png
findingHIM478:
All my life, I have believed that the only way a sin could be mortal is if it included hatred towards God, a knowledge of how wrong the sin actually is, and if the sin itself was very wrong. But now, after studying Baltimore Catechism, I’ve learned that the three standards above aren’t the only things that can make a sin mortal. So now I’m really confused and I need to know what exactly makes a sin mortal. Is it just like I’ve always believed, it only takes three things to make a sin mortal? Or, does it take more than that? I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

GOD BLESS!
In committing a mortal sin there is an implied hatred, lack of love, toward God. One is making something else more important than God. When one says to God - I know You love me and want the best for me, but I want this more - one rejects God and chooses to go ones own way.

“And Judas went off to his own place.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back