Mortification

• Thread starter Thread starter Jayson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jayson

Does anyone practice any type of mortification?

I will often deprive myself of small things, fast, take cold showers, put a few pebbles in my shoe when I go for a walk, etc.

I don’t do anything big, but it helps me to not be so selfish and it directs my mind to God.

I have found that self denial is becoming a huge factor in becoming a better person and this is one way I have found to really give myself a good perspective on things.

Many still do not eat meat on Friday. I try to do this when possible. Even now, long after this practice has been modified, many places have a non-meat dish on Friday. Other little mortifications are great for those who want to do something else on Friday rather than refrain from meat.

I try very hard to not eat candy and baked goods - I consider both to be my nemesis. My very favorite food group is the sugar group so I try daily to offer it up.

I do fail miserably at times, but all in all, the Holy Spirit has helped me succeed in this area. On my own I can do nothing.

In regards to the order of penitents, there are a lot of rules which I am not sure if I could abide by.

I’m gonna give some of the rules a shot and then others until perhaps I know I can live up to it properly and enroll.

40.png
Jayson:
In regards to the order of penitents, there are a lot of rules which I am not sure if I could abide by.

I’m gonna give some of the rules a shot and then others until perhaps I know I can live up to it properly and enroll.
Jayson, if you’re really interested, pm me. I am in my second novice year. The formation program is gradual, so you don’t get overwhelmed. One thing I thought I could never do, for example, was pray the ENTIRE Liturgy of the Hours because I work. Turns out, it’s not really difficult at all. I didn’t have a “perfect score” (and still don’t) but as time passes, it gets easier and easier. And there is a lot of flexibility built into the rule. You work out details with your spiritual director. The whole process is in baby steps.

Mercygate,

I went to there site last week, and I am very interested! If you don’t mind would you go into some details on getting started, and some of the hurdles you had to cross.

Pam…👋

40.png
PassthePeace1:
Mercygate,

I went to there site last week, and I am very interested! If you don’t mind would you go into some details on getting started, and some of the hurdles you had to cross.

Pam…👋
The CFP is a confraternity that communicates largely over the Internet but also in person. I belong to a chapter in metro NYC with five members. We meet monthly for fellowship and prayer.

Hurdles? We try to make this a matter of “stepping stones” rather than “hurdles.” Prayer is the foundation of everything. Fidelity to the Magisterium is also a “hurdle” (and aren’t we glad about THAT!)

Our original rule was written in 1221 for LAY people - and formed the first Franciscan lay rule. The Secular Franciscan Order no longer follows this rule and has a much less rigorous way of life.

I was attracted to the rigor. Several saints and “blesseds” have lived our rule, including St. Margaret of Cortona and St. Thomas More.

If you don’t want to discuss this on the forum, PM me and I’ll give you my e-mail address.

40.png
mercygate:
The CFP is a confraternity that communicates largely over the Internet but also in person. I belong to a chapter in metro NYC with five members. We meet monthly for fellowship and prayer.

Hurdles? We try to make this a matter of “stepping stones” rather than “hurdles.” Prayer is the foundation of everything. Fidelity to the Magisterium is also a “hurdle” (and aren’t we glad about THAT!)

Our original rule was written in 1221 for LAY people - and formed the first Franciscan lay rule. The Secular Franciscan Order no longer follows this rule and has a much less rigorous way of life.

I was attracted to the rigor. Several saints and “blesseds” have lived our rule, including St. Margaret of Cortona and St. Thomas More.

If you don’t want to discuss this on the forum, PM me and I’ll give you my e-mail address.
Do you know of any chapters in Texas? Your right, I like the ideal of stepping stones better than hurdles. I have read the rule several times in the past, and have always felt it’s lure.

I want to discuss it more with my husband, and get his feedback on the subject of following the rule, in a more formal manner. We talked about it last week sometime, and he doesn’t have a problem with it; and has in fact been supported of me, in the little efforts I have made thus far in applying the rule to my life…thanks for your time…Pam

40.png
PassthePeace1:
Do you know of any chapters in Texas? Your right, I like the ideal of stepping stones better than hurdles. I have read the rule several times in the past, and have always felt it’s lure.

I want to discuss it more with my husband, and get his feedback on the subject of following the rule, in a more formal manner. We talked about it last week sometime, and he doesn’t have a problem with it; and has in fact been supported of me, in the little efforts I have made thus far in applying the rule to my life…thanks for your time…Pam
I like the idea of building toward something as well. Even a little progress along these lines could make a big difference in my life.

40.png
PassthePeace1:

We don’t have a “live” chapter in Texas, but one of our regional communications coordinators lives there and will make her life profession this summer at our annual conference/reunion/retreat in East Aurora, NY (near Buffalo) July 20-24. Anybody can come to the retreat. The Texas RCC is a GREAT gal! (Breeds Cavalier King Charles Spaniels; what more need I SAY!) Another Texan is in my class (scheduled to pledge or profess in 2007).

PM me and we’ll talk.

Although your spouse must be on board with your living this rule, he does not have to live it himself (lemme tell ya, the dress code is a LOT easier for guys!). We have several couples, either pledged or in formation. It is a great way for a household to lend spiritual power to their life in Christ.

I would suggest that anyone who practices physical mortification first make contact with a GOOD spiritual advisor, or group. I say this because this type of thing can turn into dangerous self abuse for certain personality types (like mine).

When I was a teen I was very devout and considering a religious vocation etc. I read much about the lives of saints and stimatists, etc. I was very attracted to mortification. For certain people, this begins to feed off itself, and can become addictive and dangerous. It becomes weirdly self serving rather than God serving. I felt so sorry for Christs pain that I wanted to suffer in kinship with Him. I used to cut my flesh, etc and “offer up the pain”, and I got a thrill out of the visible sign of my sacrifice. I did not tell anyone I was doing any of this, because I had read of saints hiding things so that others would not see how deeply God was working in their lives. I didn’t see that this was a sin of pride,not to work with the discipline of a spiritual advisor.

Just as we can become to worldly, we can become to other worldly. It is best for us to practice with good guidance!

cheddar

40.png
cheddarsox:
I would suggest that anyone who practices physical mortification first make contact with a GOOD spiritual advisor, or group. I say this because this type of thing can turn into dangerous self abuse for certain personality types (like mine).

When I was a teen I was very devout and considering a religious vocation etc. I read much about the lives of saints and stimatists, etc. I was very attracted to mortification. For certain people, this begins to feed off itself, and can become addictive and dangerous. It becomes weirdly self serving rather than God serving. I felt so sorry for Christs pain that I wanted to suffer in kinship with Him. I used to cut my flesh, etc and “offer up the pain”, and I got a thrill out of the visible sign of my sacrifice. I did not tell anyone I was doing any of this, because I had read of saints hiding things so that others would not see how deeply God was working in their lives. I didn’t see that this was a sin of pride,not to work with the discipline of a spiritual advisor.

Just as we can become to worldly, we can become to other worldly. It is best for us to practice with good guidance!

cheddar
Cheddar – everyone who approaches the subject of mortification should read your post. Outstanding. Once you “own” your own asceticism, you’ve already “lost” it.

That is one very good reason to approach the mortified life through an avenue such as the Confraternity of Penitents. You have both scrutiny and affirmation along a carefully grade path of development.

Deacon Tony560:
Many still do not eat meat on Friday. I try to do this when possible. Even now, long after this practice has been modified, many places have a non-meat dish on Friday. Other little mortifications are great for those who want to do something else on Friday rather than refrain from meat.
Int he Catholic East (Byzaninte and others), we are currently in a ‘minor fasting season’. Actually in the East we have FOUR fasts during a year. The minor fasts are in the summer and the harsh fasts are in the winter.

WIth the current fast, (known as the Fast of Sts. Peter & Paul, we are not toe eat Meat AND Dairy on Wednesdays and Fridays.
This fast will run until the feast day of the Sts. Peter & Paul.

During the Great Fast of Lent, we do not eat meat and dairy on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

ALL Year except Easter week and after Christmas the Friday fast is omitted.

Penance is a very spiritual thing in the Catholic East. I’m not sure about stricter mortifications of the Rast. The fasts are just a struggle for me…I have low willpower.
I can sure ask prayers for me on this matter.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back