Mortification

• Thread starter Thread starter hail_theotokos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hail_theotokos

Hello faithful Catholics:

I recently was conversing with a former member of Opus Dei and he told me about a strap that many members wear around their legs for one hour per day fo the purpose of mortification.

I am wondering if anyone has ever heared of anything like this. I would like to know where I can find one or perhaps just what they are called.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
-Hail Theotokos

I did a google search with the terms “Opus Dei Mortification”, and I think I found it. If this is right, it’s called a “cilice”. Hope this helps, blessings and peace.

It is indeed called a cilice, but it’s not something you can just go and buy. That’s a good thing, because this type of corporal mortification should never be undertaken except with the advice of a competent spiritual director and under obedience. Most people are not called to this type of mortification.

Here’s a good thread that deals with mortifications that anyone can do. Going beyond these everyday things without direction can lead to spiritual pride.

Betsy

40.png
baltobetsy:
That’s a good thing, because this type of corporal mortification should never be undertaken except with the advice of a competent spiritual director and under obedience. Most people are not called to this type of mortification.

Here’s a good thread that deals with mortifications that anyone can do. Going beyond these everyday things without direction can lead to spiritual pride.

Betsy
Excellent post, Betsy! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back