MOVIE: "Elizabeth: Golden Age"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brother_Joseph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
originally posted by LilyM
b) Elizabeth wanted to keep and maintain sole control of England. She had to stay single and not be in any way beholden to any man. Even having an affair would make her weaker in this regard. I can believe she could keep her legs crossed for such a reason.
As the Scottish ambassador remarked to her ‘you will not suffer a commander. If you married you would be Queen, as it is you are King and Queen both!’
That is a good question. I am not sure anyone has the answer. She did have many devoted male friends but how far those relationships went would be in of interest. Lord Robert Dudley, her favorite, neglected his wife and some even suspected murdered his wife.

Being promoted as a “Virgin Queen” might have help sell her to the people.

In searching for info I found this on another site. We think of Kings as conniving but Elizabeth was just so bad.
Elizabeth started to run into trouble when Lady Catherine Grey, who many considered the heiress to the throne, married in secret. Elizabeth feared that people might prefer a married woman (and thus a woman with the built-in counsel of a man and the possibility of an heir) and attempt to overthrow her reign. As a result, Elizabeth imprisoned her competition in the Tower of London.
 
DUH! The Pope put out a Bull absolving English Catholics of their allegiance to Elizabeth as Queen and offering a plenary indulgence to anyone who KILLED HER! That was why Philip sent the Armada, to kill the heretic Queen.

The Pope’s provocative action forced the English state to regard Catholics as enemies of the state. Elizabeth herself was unusually religiously tolerant for her age, and was perfectly happy to leave her Catholic subjects alone. When some started trying to assassinate her, with the backing of the Pope, she reluctantly allowed her Council to deal with Catholics as traitors. She didn’t want it but had to go along with it if she wanted to live. And even Protestants have the right to defend their own lives.

Elizabeth’s government didn’t have a whole lot of trouble getting English Protestants to hate Catholics anyway, after Bloody Mary.

I recommend any and all of Alison Weir’s books on the Tudors for education on this topic.
 
you dont have to DUH! me you know. (the reason I posted this is because no Roman Catholics seemed to complain about this film.)
 
This Roman Catholic eagerly went to see that film, a couple of weeks after my latest child was born. I am a Tudor history addict, and there was no way I was gonna miss that movie!

Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age are of course interpretive and fictionalized historical movies. The big themes are in place, but many of the details, large and small, are significantly altered. I still LOVE Cate Blanchett’s portrayal of Elizabeth. I think she is one of the best actresses to take her on. Equal to Glenda Jackson in the BBC miniseries “Elizabeth R.”

The reason I said “duh” was that it seemed so obvious to me that there are anti-Catholic themes in the movie, given the historical period, the country, and the person it is about. Perhaps the reason no one complained is because it was expected due to the subject of the movie?
 
Indeed. I, too, was aware of the history behind it and, yes, there are historical variances but, as duskyjewel points out, the major themes are there. What we haven’t seen thusfar is a fair treatment of Oliver Cromwell or of Black '47.
 
Have you seen “To Kill a King” with Tim Roth and Dougray Scott? Roth is Cromwell in that movie. I don’t know enough of that period to know if it is a fair treatment of Cromwell… but I liked the movie.
 
Well, given the time in history it’s about of course it’s Anti-Catholic. I don’t see why Catholics need to complain that it is anti-Catholic. The whole time period was quite anti-Catholic. Besides, this movie wasn’t made to be anti-Catholic, it just was reflecting what was happening at the time. I think it’s different from other films that are made and are intentionally anti-Catholic, which should upset and offend Catholics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top