Music while reading

• Thread starter Thread starter edward_george
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edward_george

I attend two schools, a regular high school and a school for more advanced students, where college level math and science are taught. The bus ride between the two is an hour in the morning and the evening. As the ride is long, most people bring pillows (we have to get up really early!) and MP3 Players/CD players.

Recently, I started reading the Bible during the commute, and as I have my MP3 player with me, I like a little background music to it. Something slow usually, lyrics don’t matter as i’m not focusing on them. John Denver, Maroon 5, sometimes even Lynyrd Skynyrd or Linkin Park. (I have very broad taste in music–not terribly picky unless rap is involved…) At home, where I have access to a tape player, I usually put on Baroque or other classical (more often than not Baroque though–i’m a big Pachelbel fan)(again, broad taste in music)

I was wondering if anyone else uses music as a background to reading the Scriptures in this way or similarly.

My husband, who teaches junior high religion, has found the kids really enjoy and get into guided biblical meditations a great deal more when he has music on in the background. He usually has Gregorian chant or some kind of sacred music to lift the mind and heart.

For me music is usually too distracting to be able to play it and read Scriptures at the same time.

I definitely like music in the background. I can listen to anything from cool oldies to modern music while working on homework or the checkbook and budget, but I enjoy classical while reading.

I have been looking for some Gregorian chant music, but have not found any yet.

Also - I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find some traditionally sung hymns to organ music. I love to sing in my car!

Music while reading is a great way to help focus the mind - a white noise effect, as it were.

=)
Fiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back