Muslim friend asks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christy_7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christy_7

Guest
Hi everyone,
Today I was at college and my Muslim friend spontaneously asked me a question. He asked: ‘if I was to become catholic but died before i got baptized but believe in Jesus and God, will I go heaven?’ I don’t know exactly how to answer this and I think I might have given him a wrong answer. I said no but now I feel I was wrong. I told absolute rubbish cos I didn’t think before I spoke. I want to correct myself if I’m wrong and tell him the correct answer. I find it really hard to answer questions like this and about Catholicism cos Protestants like mock me and think I’m ridiculous.

Help,
Christy :confused:
 
I will leave the baptism details to someone more knowledgeable than me. I’m also thinking that you just don’t simply declare yourself “Catholic” before competing the sacraments. And baptism is the first required sacrament.

Also, don’t ever feel apprehensive about professing your Catholic faith. Non-Catholics will always mock Catholics (I’ve heard my fair share of insults), but that doesn’t make them right and you wrong.
 
My understanding (and I’m not anywhere near what one would call an expert) is that your friend would fall under the “baptism of desire” portion of Church teachings.
 
From the Catechism:

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.
 
Hi everyone,
Today I was at college and my Muslim friend spontaneously asked me a question. He asked: ‘if I was to become catholic but died before i got baptized but believe in Jesus and God, will I go heaven?’ I don’t know exactly how to answer this and I think I might have given him a wrong answer. I said no but now I feel I was wrong. I told absolute rubbish cos I didn’t think before I spoke. I want to correct myself if I’m wrong and tell him the correct answer. I find it really hard to answer questions like this and about Catholicism cos Protestants like mock me and think I’m ridiculous.

Help,
Christy :confused:
A very good book to buy either from a Catholic Bookshop or Amazon which sounds just right to get the answer in a flash and has the benefit of becoming more knowledgeable about your Catholic faith is "Catholicism for Dummies/they have one on the Mass also.
👍
 
Thank you so very much you guys. Now I have an answer. Peace be with you!!!

Christy!?!👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top