Must reparation be immediate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter McatholicN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McatholicN

Guest
For sins that require reparation, must it be made immeadiately? Do I have to correct any falsehoods I may have written in emails, forum posts, etc. right now?

Responses greatly appreciated!
 
There may be a few things that need clarification.

Did the priest actually direct you to correct and falsehoods written in past emails and posts?

Have your harmed others by these falsehoods? To what degree then is reparation required?

Will it harm others if you correct past falsehoods?

I imagine you have already determined to avoid writing and sharing untruths in the future.
Having repented and determined to be truthful in future, you have met the requirement for repentance and purpose of amendment of your practices. However it is also the case that some things are private and others have no right to the knowledge, in which case you aren’t obliged to share it.

Your priest is of course the person to give you your answer as to any action required regarding past untruths. One would complete reparation reasonably quickly, but you need to be sure that this is what is required in every case or if the priest would consider that a greater harm could be in telling everyone your untruths.

God grant you peace.
 
There may be a few things that need clarification.

Did the priest actually direct you to correct and falsehoods written in past emails and posts?

Have your harmed others by these falsehoods? To what degree then is reparation required?

Will it harm others if you correct past falsehoods?

I imagine you have already determined to avoid writing and sharing untruths in the future.
Having repented and determined to be truthful in future, you have met the requirement for repentance and purpose of amendment of your practices. However it is also the case that some things are private and others have no right to the knowledge, in which case you aren’t obliged to share it.

Your priest is of course the person to give you your answer as to any action required regarding past untruths. One would complete reparation reasonably quickly, but you need to be sure that this is what is required in every case or if the priest would consider that a greater harm could be in telling everyone your untruths.

God grant you peace.
So the priest determines what reparation is required? Must I speak with my priest as soon as possible?
 
I think it really depends upon the damage you’ve done. If you’ve lied about someone and it’s damaged their reputation, then you must do all you can to repair their reputation. If you’ve lied about living in a mansion or other things to make yourself look better than you are, then I’d just let it go and lie low for awhile. Only you know the damage you may have done to others. If you’re still unsure about what to do, then speak to your priest.
 
For sins that require reparation, must it be made immeadiately? Do I have to correct any falsehoods I may have written in emails, forum posts, etc. right now?

Responses greatly appreciated!
NO. Just do what your priest tells you. You really have to talk to your priest about your scrupulosity. Being so scrupulous will only make your life miserable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top