Must-sees in Eastern Europe?

• Thread starter Thread starter Viajero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Viajero

Happy Easter to all!

I’m a cradle Catholic who has much to learn about our faith. Anyway, I’ll be going on a short two-week trip to Prague, Vienna, Krakow, and Budapest the second half of May, and even though I’ll be travelling with a couple of non-Christian friends, I mainly decided to go on this trip for the spiritual aspect, as a semi-pilgrimage. The thing is, I’m not sure of what I “must see” while I’m there. Any suggestions?

So far, I’m planning to look for the Infant of Prague (in Prague) and something to do with the Divine Mercy (in Krakow). I’m sure there are a ton of churches and monasteries I can visit, but because of the time factor, I mainly want to see those places that, when I come back, people would most likely ask, “Oh, did you visit the…?”

Thanks!

40.png
Viajero:
Happy Easter to all!

I’m a cradle Catholic who has much to learn about our faith. Anyway, I’ll be going on a short two-week trip to Prague, Vienna, Krakow, and Budapest the second half of May, and even though I’ll be travelling with a couple of non-Christian friends, I mainly decided to go on this trip for the spiritual aspect, as a semi-pilgrimage. The thing is, I’m not sure of what I “must see” while I’m there. Any suggestions?

So far, I’m planning to look for the Infant of Prague (in Prague) and something to do with the Divine Mercy (in Krakow). I’m sure there are a ton of churches and monasteries I can visit, but because of the time factor, I mainly want to see those places that, when I come back, people would most likely ask, “Oh, did you visit the…?”

Thanks!
I’ve been to both Prague and Budapest recently and highly recommend the church inside the castle walls in Prague (incredible stained glass windows) and also the church dedicated to those wishing to have children (perhaps it is the Infant of Prague that you mention). I went to Prague with 4 Catholic friends and while we weren’t planning on taking time out of our trip for “pilgrimage” excursions (none of my catholic friends practice regularly, but I am in the process of converting to Catholicism) we had some wonderful unplanned moments in both of these churches. They were both wonderful places for reflection and prayer and it was cool to see that us just being there lead us each individually to go off to pray by ourselves.

As far as Budapest goes, I visited the church at the Fishermans’ Bastion… I believe it was called St. Stephen. My advice is to avoid the all-Hungarian services! Oops, that was a big mistake. My non-Catholic friend about killed me for dragging him along to a service he couldn’t understand,and even though I knew what was going on I didn’t get much out of it. I think there is a 10:00 or 10:30 service in Latin.

I’ve heard only the best things about both Krakow and Vienna!

If you would like any futher tourist info please private message me and I’d be only too happy to give you some tips!! Prague and Budapest are fantastic!

All the best

I do not have any specific recommendations but I have read about old wooden Catholic churches in Eastern Europe. They are most likely in small villages. You may want to keep your eye open for some of these historic old churches.

Please give us a report of your trip when you get back. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity! 👍

Thanks, Steph and Blanka, for your responses. I’ll definitely bring your suggestions with me as things to do and see. I’m looking forward to this trip. I really need some spiritual rejuvenation.

I’ll second the vote for St. Stephen’s in Budapest (now, was that in Buda or Pest?). I’m not sure if it’s a fairly young church or just recently refurbished but it is pretty impressive inside.

Prague is full of great churches, but St. Vitus (in Prague Castle) is still the most significant and probably the most beautiful as well.

Andreas Hofer:
I’ll second the vote for St. Stephen’s in Budapest (now, was that in Buda or Pest?). I’m not sure if it’s a fairly young church or just recently refurbished but it is pretty impressive inside.
I think it’s in Buda… it’s across the river from parliament

If you have the time in Poland, you should check out the monastary Jasna Gora, in Czestochowa. Vist the icon inside, and make a stations of the cross with the statues that encircle the complex.

40.png
serendipity:
If you have the time in Poland, you should check out the monastary Jasna Gora, in Czestochowa. Vist the icon inside, and make a stations of the cross with the statues that encircle the complex.
Okay, it’s set. St Stephen’s and St Vitus are definite must-sees. Thanks for reminding me about Our Lady of Czestochowa. I’ll have to look into that. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back