Must we cleave to those who know God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MagicKirk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MagicKirk

Guest
Deuteronomy 10:20 says “The LORD, your God, shall you fear, and him shall you serve; hold fast to Him and swear by His name.”

Jewish Tradition and the Talmud - Mosaic Law - state that cleaving (clinging) to religious scholars is equivalent to cleaving to God.

I am having a discussion with another individual as to whether this particular Mosaic Law is binding on Christians based on either the New Testament or Sacred Tradition.

I have been told by several people who have had problems with substance abuse that one of their biggest obstacles to staying clean and sober is fall back to old habits when they hang out with their old friends. The old friends are not good influences and they add increased pressure and temptations.

Also, I recently talked to a good Christian who told me that when he talks to atheists, a seed of doubt is sometimes planted within him.

For these individuals, and many others, it is a good idea that they should try to cleave to people who are religious. Scripture clearly tells us that we should avoid temptation.

Matthew 5:29-30
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.

However, the issue with which we are dealing with is not whether the Mosaic Law is a “good idea,” but whether it is binding on Christians.

By examining whether Jesus cleaved to religious scholars, we can better determine whether we are bound to this precept.

First, we know that Jesus didn’t choose learned scholars, scribes, or Pharisees to be his disciples. He chose uneducated men.

Second, scripture shows us that He favored those who were looked down upon by the rest of society.

Matthew 9:11-12
The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” He heard this and said, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.

Third, scripture also demonstrates that Jesus didn’t seem to enjoy the company of the religious scholars of His day.

Matthew 23:25-28
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You cleanse the outside of cup and dish, but inside they are full of plunder and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may be clean. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing.

It may be a good idea to cleave to those who know God’s ways, but following the example of Jesus, we are not required to do so.

The other individual cited scripture that seems to support the opposite conclusion.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be yoked with those who are different, with unbelievers. For what partnership do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?

The NAB footnote, which of course is not infallible, indicates that when taken in context, this verse makes “the point that Christianity is not compatible with paganism.” It does not seem to state that we must cleave to religious scholars.

Hebrews 10:25 - We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near.

According to the NAB footnote, “Our assembly: the liturgical assembly of the Christian community, probably for the celebration of the Eucharist.” Paul seems to be encouraging us to go to mass.

I would like the (name removed by moderator)ut of others. I’m not sure the other individual’s citations are completely on point, but they are compelling.

Thanks.
Kirk
 
ya you need some professional help in the area of the Bible because your stuff up there is all mucked up.

Cleaving to preachers is a new one to me–false!.

Cleave to your wife/husband and God…very established.
 
I’m pretty sure that’s what I already said above. That it’s not binding on Christians.
 
Jewish Tradition and the Talmud - Mosaic Law - state that cleaving (clinging) to religious scholars is equivalent to cleaving to God.
I said it was all mucked up because I can’t recall anything saying the above in the Bible,…Old Testament. Your given quote to Deuteronomy does not state that.

I’ve persoused your website rather quickly. It and you seem pretty sharp.
 
I guess that based your response and the lack of any other responses, I didn’t explain the issue properly.

By way of background, I have a blog where I go over the 613 commandments of Mosaic Law.

(I didn’t mention my site earlier because I didn’t want the post here to be self-serving.)

Despite the fact that we are not required to follow Mosaic Law, many of the individual commandments are restated either through the New Testament or Sacred Tradition.

When I got to this Commandment, I came to the same conclusion that you did - That it is not restated in the New Testament,or referred to by the Church, so it is not of concern to us.

However, a poster to my site thought that there are two applicable New Testament scriptures. As I stated above, he cited 2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be yoked with those who are different, with unbelievers. For what partnership do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?

and .

Hebrews 10:25 - We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near.

As I stated on my site, I don’t think these verses are applicable, but the poster is a knowledgeable individual who makes astute posts on his own blog, so I didn’t want to be dismissive of his (name removed by moderator)ut.

I therefore wanted to bounce it off of others.
 
As we learn to trust in her we’re to cleave to the teachings of the Church, since shes’ been established and ordained for that purpose. OTOH, all knowledge taught by others is second hand. The promise of the New Covenant is that God desires us to know Him directly -as individuals. This is the New Law.

**“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the LORD.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
**Jer 31:33-34
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top