My Career, prayer, god's will and pre-destination?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Polska
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Polska

Guest
Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think of my own personal situation. I will be finishing school very soon and will be starting my career very soon. I pray to God every night, and often, I ask him to help me with my current situations/problems, and my career is one of them. Since God knows what is best for me, I pray that God guide me to start a career that will be best to serve him, or my vocation given my skills and abilities. Maybe my question is silly, but I don’t want to be stuck in a career that will destroy my life, because this is where many jobs in North America are currently leading to. So I guess my question is, if I truly desire God’s guidance in my heart, will he ensure I will be shown the right path, or will that also depend heavily on my own judgement call? Is it, what will be, will be? Is it what I choose? Has God already made the decision for me since I asked him? Any ideas?

Thanks.
 
I don’t necessarily think God has a single path mapped out for any of us that we’re not allowed to deviate from.

It’s more like the parable of the talents - simply concentrate on finding work that uses, and uses in a good and productive way, the particular skills that you have. Most of the time there’s more than one way this can be done.

Can’t hurt to pray, of course. I’ll pray for you too. Don’t forget to take some time to meditate a little though, so that you’re listening to him too.
 
The fact that you are seeking our Heavenly Father’s advice is very pleasing to Him. You’ve already shown great judgment. Keep Him always in your sights and He will bless the path you choose!
 
In general, I believe it is very wrong, and even destructive, for a person to expect or demand that God give them a miraculous answer or guidance. God just does not usuallly work that way, no matter what televangelists may say. If you were lost in a national forest, you would have to figure out with your wits the right direction to hike in and the right path to take to get back to civilization before you die of starvation or are eaten by bears. If you had to build a bridge across a mighty river, you would not expect God to tell you the exact guage of steel to use, would you? No. It would be your job to figure out how strong the bridge needs to be. And so it is with your career. Really, all God wants for you is for you to stay in a State of Grace and thereby attain eternal salvation. You can do that in many occupations. Yes, pray to God. He will guide you, but in ways that you will not understand until many years later. St. Ignatius Loyola said: “Pray as if everything depends on God, and work as if everything depends on you.” Yes, pray. Yes, trust God. Yes, stay in a State of Grace. But do not wait for special divine revelation. Get on with your life, using the teachings of the Faith and your wits to decide your future. God will bless you if you are faithful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top