My Dead Non-Catholic Family

• Thread starter Thread starter D_Bruce
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D_Bruce

I am the only Catholic in my family. I am also a recent convert. My wife died 3 years ago. I have other family members whom I love dearly and are dead. Are there intercessory prayers for them? How about my handicapped son who is nonverbal and functions at age 3? What is his standing? Where do I get information about this?

David
Burnsville, MN

D Bruce:
I am the only Catholic in my family. I am also a recent convert. My wife died 3 years ago. I have other family members whom I love dearly and are dead. Are there intercessory prayers for them? How about my handicapped son who is nonverbal and functions at age 3? What is his standing? Where do I get information about this?

David
Burnsville, MN
You can certainly pray for your deceased loved ones. They’re not having been Catholic is no hindrance to that, thanks be! I too have many deceased family members who were not Catholic and I pray for them all the time.

God judges people by what they knew and how they responded to the grace that was given them no matter who they were or what they believed as non-Catholics. And God judges rightly and with compassion, you can be sure of that more than of anything else.

As to your son, if he is baptized you have nothing to fear for him. He cannot be held accountable for his actions and so is not culpable of any sins he might commit (not that there are many he could commit in his condition). Leave him in the care of reliable Catholics when it is your time to go who will see to it that he receives the anointing of the sick when he is dying to be sure that his innocent soul will fly to God unhindered in any way.

I’m not really sure what you mean by intercessory prayer for them. Are you asking what kind of prayers you should be saying (in intercession) for them? If so, the best prayer for that is the mass. You may want to ask a local priest if he can say a mass in the name of your deceased family.

Other than that, any prayer is good. The rosary is always a good way to pray for any occassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back