My first Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fireside Youth Bible is an excellent example. I think it comes in both NAB and RSV now.
It has sidebars throughout addressing different issues faced by youth and responses to common questions regarding the Catholic Faith.

Duay-Rheims (for Catholics) and King James (for non-Catholics) can both be difficult to read. The language for both is archaic and not what we are currently used to. There was a time when these were the only two translations available. It will also be easier to understand the scriptures if you read a translation that matches what you will be hearing in the liturgy.
I agree that the Fireside Youth Bible good. However the Douay-Rheims may be hard to read for some, but give me you definition of archaic. I don’t think that some of these words are too I don’t know “out of date”
 
I just went to a used book store last week and found TONS of catholic books. I recommend going to one of those for a cheap catholic bible. The one I bought was five dollars and it looked brand new. This will save a lot of money for you! … But you didn’t ask where to get a bible you asked which one to get. I like my New American Bible. Make sure you get the Catholic one though.
 
I agree that the Fireside Youth Bible good. However the Douay-Rheims may be hard to read for some, but give me you definition of archaic. I don’t think that some of these words are too I don’t know “out of date”
Just as a quick example, “strait” in the phrase, “follow the strait and narrow road” is ye olde English for “winding and full of blind alleys.” But a lot of modern people read that and think it’s referring to a straight walking path that is easy and clear - totally the opposite of what Jesus meant, and what the original translators intended.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top