My new project: reading the NT

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tomcmaj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tomcmaj

Guest
Hi all! I’m new here and any guidance would be much appreciated!

A month ago I decided that I would read the New Testament, but do it with more than one Bible. I have the New Jerusalem Bible, the New International Version (NIV), and the King James Bible. It has been a fascinating journey, but afterwards I realized that I was just scratching the surface! I am looking at a couple of versions of “Interlinear” New Testaments: versions that show line by line the original greek text, interwoven with one or two english bible translations. One popular Interlinear uses the English Standard Version (ESV) and the other using the New American Standard BIble (NASB) and the NIV.

Where can I find something similar using the NAB or NJB or any other Catholic translation?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
 
Thanks, codeyrolley!

What I’m looking for specifically is a version of the New Testament that shows the original greek text alongside (or better, intertwined with) an english translation in one volume. These are available with Protestant versions, but I was hoping to find one with a Catholic version, if such a thing exists…

Thanks, T.
 
Hi Tom,

I use the St. Joseph’s edition of the NAB…it has several footnotes which include the greek translations, but it is not intertwined (they’re at the bottom of the page). Happy reading 👍
Hope this helps!
 
Thanks, Tim!

🙂

Good for online reference! (Can’t download t because it doesn’t support Mac OS.)

Using KJV/AV probably means this doesn’t include post-1600 scholarship/recent archeological finds.

Thanks again for the link!

Cheers, T (Tom)
 
If you know Greek and are interested in reading it in parallel with the New Testament, I recommend the Precise Parallel New Testament which includes
  • Greek (NA27/UBS4)
  • Catholic English translations: Rheims, NRSV, NAB
  • Non-Catholic English translations: KJV, Amplified, NIV84, NASB95
If you know Greek, you probably won’t benefit from an interlinear, but if you need one with a Catholic translation, you’ll find the most selection with the NRSV: Comfort (small), Comfort (big), McReynolds

However, the most useful tool I think you can get (assuming you know Greek), is Comfort’s discussion of textual differences in major translations (including Catholic translations such as the NAB, NJB, NRSV; and translations close to Catholic such as RSV71). This is very accessible and very useful, and will cover the differences you see in major translations.
 
Thanks for all the responses! Some good leads and recommendations!

Cheers, T. (Tom)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top