D
delsydebothom
Guest
Canon 825 requires Catholics to procure the permission of either the Apostolic See, or the Episcopal conference before publishing books of Sacred Scripture. Altogether, this seems like an entirely reasonable requirement, but as I have just recently learned of it, it puts me in a bind.
Several years back I set out to revise the American Standard Version, modernizing it a bit, and bringing its readings into conformity with those of the Nova Vulgata. Well, I’ve finished the first draft of that. When I am completely finished, I would like to release this text into the public domain. This wouldn’t be for several more years; I intend to comb the text at least twice more. I have also put together a massive commentary, and have done a good bit of typesetting work in order to stitch the whole thing together into one publishable volume.
Although I would be truly sorry to find out my work had gone to waste, that really isn’t the worst of it; I also enlisted the help of a handful of artist friends to illustrate and illuminate this lavishly. They have done so gratis, with the hope of eventually finding a publisher, and being compensated. I don’t want to disappoint them.
I know this is neither here nor there with regards to canon law, but a little advice would be met with my lifelong gratitude. Does anyone know how I would go about obtaining episcopal approval for this work? What route would be most likely to end in success?
Several years back I set out to revise the American Standard Version, modernizing it a bit, and bringing its readings into conformity with those of the Nova Vulgata. Well, I’ve finished the first draft of that. When I am completely finished, I would like to release this text into the public domain. This wouldn’t be for several more years; I intend to comb the text at least twice more. I have also put together a massive commentary, and have done a good bit of typesetting work in order to stitch the whole thing together into one publishable volume.
Although I would be truly sorry to find out my work had gone to waste, that really isn’t the worst of it; I also enlisted the help of a handful of artist friends to illustrate and illuminate this lavishly. They have done so gratis, with the hope of eventually finding a publisher, and being compensated. I don’t want to disappoint them.
I know this is neither here nor there with regards to canon law, but a little advice would be met with my lifelong gratitude. Does anyone know how I would go about obtaining episcopal approval for this work? What route would be most likely to end in success?