Mystics, Saints, and Miracles

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

We often read and hear of stigmata, levitation, and other supernatural gifts given to Saints. They seemed abundant in the middle ages. There are books full of stories of Saints and Eucharistic Miracles. Joan Carrol Cruz’s book: Eucharistic Miracles is a good example of this.

My question is this: Why, since the easy availability of video and photography have these miracles seemed to have declined rapidly. Where are they today? Why aren’t there any cases that have been captured on film. Sound kinda fishy… We develop the means to document such cases and all of a sudden they disappear and cease to happen in such great frequeny :confused:

I have seen a lot of photos of purported Miracles over the last several years. Quite a few in fact, but the people are still living so they would not be categorized a Saint by any means. I’m not sure I believe most any of the ones I have seen. But there is one woman who I think is possibly a living Saint. At least her Bishop has declared her locutions, bi-locutions, apparitions as viable for belief. Her name is Maria Esperanza -(Betania, Venezuela.)

I saw an interview of her one time a few years ago where the journalist/news guy did not believe in such things. He was just reporting and interviewing her. Anyway, he mentioned he would like prayer for a friend who was paralyzed and very ill as I recall. Maria told him to turn off the camera because she would intercede for the friend but whatever happened he would not be able to video her during the time. He did not turn the camera off, and true to her word, the video went blank for a few seconds. Time seemed to stand still according to him and the video recorded the seconds as blank.

Anyway, Marie bi-locuted to his friend in another country, prayed over him and returned. The friend did not see her but he was healed in that very time frame. No one, least of all the man healed could explain it other than he felt a warming presence and heard someone say get up and walk.
I don’t know why they cannot be photographed or videoed.

There are a number of photographical miracles, where cameras captured pictures not seen by the one who took the picture.

Miracles tend to increase the faith. If you have solid evidence that a miracle occured, where is the need for faith?

Would it really make a difference if there were photographs or videos? There are so many ways to fake this sort of thing with the technology we have that I doubt it would be widely believed anyway. The people who don’t want to believe will say it’s fake. The people who do want to believe will argue that it’s real.

Are there not some photographs of St. Padre Pio after he received the stigmata?

There are many saints since the middle ages who have been granted certain graces and have had the stigmata.

Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824)
Elizabeth Canori Mora (1774-1825)
Anna Maria Taïgi (1769-1837)
Maria Dominica Lazzari (1815-48)
Marie de Moerl (1812-68) and Louise Lateau (1850-83)

St. Catherine of Sienna was the first known case, but with humility, she asked they remain invisible.
Padre Pio had the stigmata as well. He was born in 1887 and died in 1968. There are photos of his stigmata as well as various books on his life. You can visit a website dedicated to him at www.padrepio.com.

I think many saints, even saints in the making today shy away from pictures and cameras, something that we, so involved in our “media culture” don’t always understand. They’re not looking for external rewards or exposure. They are striving to be humble. Suffering, as with the stigmata, was to them, a gift to bear silently, the wounds of Christ. To align themselves with him, to offer their pain up for countless souls that needed it.
But, as in the case of Padre Pio, sometimes people aren’t put off that easily, and so he relented to photos of the stigmata.
There are other miracles of numerous saints that are well-documented, and easy finds if you search for them.

Just a few nights ago I watched a video (the name escapes me) documenting four Eucharistic Miracles in the United States in the mid-90’s. While a video did not capture the host starting to bleed during the consecration, they have two hosts on video, along with interviews by the scientists that studied them.

But the last one was actually filmed. A female mystic (Korean) was in Hawaii, and during a small, special Mass, the host turned into flesh and blood when it was placed on her tongue. Someone grabbed a video camera they must have had along and filmed the host on the tongue before it degenerated. I suppose some would argue that since they didn’t get the transformation on film, it was a hoax, but the Priest in question is a very faithful man who reasonable people would not believe would do such a thing.

gomer tree:
Just a few nights ago I watched a video (the name escapes me) documenting four Eucharistic Miracles in the United States in the mid-90’s. While a video did not capture the host starting to bleed during the consecration, they have two hosts on video, along with interviews by the scientists that studied them.

But the last one was actually filmed. A female mystic (Korean) was in Hawaii, and during a small, special Mass, the host turned into flesh and blood when it was placed on her tongue. Someone grabbed a video camera they must have had along and filmed the host on the tongue before it degenerated. I suppose some would argue that since they didn’t get the transformation on film, it was a hoax, but the Priest in question is a very faithful man who reasonable people would not believe would do such a thing.
I know the one your talking about. I have watched it too. Now that one I believe. Awesome video.

James_2:24:
We often read and hear of stigmata, levitation, and other supernatural gifts given to Saints. They seemed abundant in the middle ages. There are books full of stories of Saints and Eucharistic Miracles. Joan Carrol Cruz’s book: Eucharistic Miracles is a good example of this.

My question is this: Why, since the easy availability of video and photography have these miracles seemed to have declined rapidly. Where are they today? Why aren’t there any cases that have been captured on film. Sound kinda fishy… We develop the means to document such cases and all of a sudden they disappear and cease to happen in such great frequeny :confused:
Here is an interesting testimony in regards to Father Sudak by Father Jozo Grbeš

http://fathersudac.org./images/sudac.jpgexdeo.com/sudac/notes/sudGrbe.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back