NAB Fireside Study Edition

  • Thread starter Thread starter HisGrace1967
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HisGrace1967

Guest
Is it safe to say that the notes in this study bible are true to The Churches Teaching ? Is the NAB a good translation ? Reason I’m asking is I truly love to “search the Scripture” (John 5:39) and verses with notes to see what is the meaning. I’m fairly new to studying the Bible Through the eyes of The RCC. I recently purchased the Douay-Rheims NT with Catholic Commentary By Father Leo Haydock. What do you think?:confused:
 
Is it safe to say that the notes in this study bible are true to The Churches Teaching ? Is the NAB a good translation ? Reason I’m asking is I truly love to “search the Scripture” (John 5:39) and verses with notes to see what is the meaning. I’m fairly new to studying the Bible Through the eyes of The RCC. I recently purchased the Douay-Rheims NT with Catholic Commentary By Father Leo Haydock. What do you think?:confused:
Yes the NAB is good translation. Some people feel the commentary notes are not that great… In fact I don’t think they are that great either…but nothing that will give you wrong answers.
 
Is it safe to say that the notes in this study bible are true to The Churches Teaching ? Is the NAB a good translation ? Reason I’m asking is I truly love to “search the Scripture” (John 5:39) and verses with notes to see what is the meaning. I’m fairly new to studying the Bible Through the eyes of The RCC. I recently purchased the Douay-Rheims NT with Catholic Commentary By Father Leo Haydock. What do you think?:confused:
I think the NAB is a good readable translation, however it has a decent amount of inclusive language with confusing footnotes that seem to put down Catholic theology. So good for easy reading, but bad for apologetic’s work or studying theology of any sort.

Below is an example of my complaint of it.​

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

13 the work of each will come to light,for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire [itself] will test the quality of each one’s work. 14 If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. 15 But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only through fire.

Footnote for passage

3,15 Will be saved: although Paul can envision very harsh divine punishment (cf 17), he appears optimistic about the success of divine corrective means both here and elsewhere (cf 5, 5; 11, 32 [discipline]). The text of v 15 has sometimes been used to support the notion of purgatory, though it does not envisage this.

===============================================

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.604 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. the tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:605

604 Cf. Council of Florence (1439): DS 1304; Council of Trent (1563): DS 1820; (1547): 1580; see also Benedict XII, Benedictus Deus (1336): DS 1000.

605 Cf. ⇒ 1 Cor 3:15; ⇒ 1 Pet 1:7.

So the Catechism says the passage is about Purgatory, but the NAB seems to really downplay it with no reason as to why.
Yes the NAB is good translation. Some people feel the commentary notes are not that great… In fact I don’t think they are that great either…but nothing that will give you wrong answers.
Maybe, but it is misleading and confusing…and just words stuff badly.

Below are some links that talk about it. Personally I would find another commentary other than the NAB. I am not familiar with the one referenced by the OP but I have the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament RSV and the footnotes are really good there.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=563641&page=2
jimmyakin.org/2005/01/the_new_america.html
catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php?topic=3433529.30;wap2
  • EDIT -
    I forgot a link
freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1179305/posts
 
So the Catechism says the passage is about Purgatory, but the NAB seems to really downplay it with no reason as to why.
Good catch. It does the exact same thing a time or two when discussing Scripture that the CCC says references the Holy Trinity. Also, the NAB does not capitalize the “H” in Holy Spirit. It is written both in the NAB and the NABRE as ‘holy Spirit’ which bothers me.

I have the Ignatius New Testament Study Bible and just ordered the Navarre Old Testament Series. In addition, I just found today the Saint Benedict Study Bible but I cannot provide any information on its worth.
 
The reason behind the lower case “holy spirit” is only because scholars today say that they didn’t have an idea in the Old Testament, which is true, as to the Holy Spirit being God.
 
The reason behind the lower case “holy spirit” is only because scholars today say that they didn’t have an idea in the Old Testament, which is true, as to the Holy Spirit being God.
So why does the NAB use the lower case in the New Testament as well?

Matthew 28:19
Go, therefore, 12 and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit.


The Catechism of the Catholic Church is very clear that the name of the third person of the Blessed Trinity is “Holy Spirit”. This is a Bible put out by the USCCB.
 
So why does the NAB use the lower case in the New Testament as well?

Matthew 28:19
Go, therefore, 12 and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit.


The Catechism of the Catholic Church is very clear that the name of the third person of the Blessed Trinity is “Holy Spirit”. This is a Bible put out by the USCCB.
I’ve wondered that too because “Spirit” is capitalized and “holy” is left as lower case…whereas in the Old both are clearly lower case.
 
I was absolutely horrified after purchasing a NAB and reading all the notes which clearly minimize or disregard Church teaching in their interpretations of many, many verses. I would never advise anyone to spend a dime to purchase a NAB
 
I was absolutely horrified after purchasing a NAB and reading all the notes which clearly minimize or disregard Church teaching in their interpretations of many, many verses. I would never advise anyone to spend a dime to purchase a NAB
I agree with you. The notes are not good. I wouldn’t spend money on this bible. The Haydock Commentary is wonderful though and very traditional and worth the money.
 
I think the NAB is a good readable translation, however it has a decent amount of inclusive language with confusing footnotes that seem to put down Catholic theology. So good for easy reading, but bad for apologetic’s work or studying theology of any sort.
That’s good to know. I did read those notes in the NAB about the rapture. I’m coming out of that dispensational theology so I need to know what Study Bible could be trusted and true to Church Teaching. So, I’m going to stick with Haydock’s Commentary on the NT and The Cathechesim. I haven’t bought the OT yet. Thanks for all the info and comments. Peter 👍
 
That’s good to know. I did read those notes in the NAB about the rapture. I’m coming out of that dispensational theology so I need to know what Study Bible could be trusted and true to Church Teaching. So, I’m going to stick with Haydock’s Commentary on the NT and The Cathechesim. I haven’t bought the OT yet. Thanks for all the info and comments. Peter 👍
You may consider the Ignatius study Bible NT, the Navarre series of study Bibles, or the CSSI Bible if you are looking for a more readable translation then the DR but still wish commentary that is going to be faithful to the Magesterium.
I have heard nothing but good about the Haydock commentary so I am certainly not trying to pull you away from it. I just thought you might be interested in what else was out there in terms of options.

Peace of Christ…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top