NAB School and Church Edition by Fireside?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loboto-Me
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loboto-Me

Guest
To my great joy, the other day, I found a Bible that I didn’t even know we had here. It was in a box of books that had been “forgotten” for several year. I was so happy to see Pope John Paul II 's picture near the front. I knew that I had not bought it so I showed it to my children when they came over for mother’s day. My agnostic/atheistic son told me that he thinks that he’s the one who bought it long ago. Can you imagine? Isn’t it ironic that HE would be the one to “gift” me with a bible? Perhaps the prayers are working?? 😛

Anyway, I was searching the forums for more info on it, and noticed that some here have a low opinion of the NAB, but I also noticed that the problem is more in the footnotes rather than the Bible itself. Also, the NAB that they are “complaining” about is not the one by Fireside, and I don’t know if they’re talking about the School and Church Edition either.

Does anyone have any opinion about this Version ? About the footnotes in here?
 
You will get responses across the spectum here but remember that the NAB is what you will hear read to you daily at Mass in most of th English speaking world.

I love my NAB by Fireside and some of that is aside from the translation. The cover is suptle and flexible and it just reads well for me.

-Tim-
 
I rechecked the one thread where someone had the one done by “Oxford Press”, saying it “chips away at his faith” Later in the thread, someone said that the commentaries are from the editors of that issue. I’m wondering, since mine is by Fireside, do the commentaries differ from the Oxford one?

Since I just started reading this bible, I haven’t read too much of the commentaries yet, so I have no idea if these commentaries are more in sympathy so-to-speak with our Catholic faith, than the Oxford one.

I’ve basically been reading the bible itself, and had usually been reading from the Douay online since I only had a little tiny “new testament” that my daughter brought home from school before this. Bibles are so expensive, and the spending was finding other places to rest in, rather than in books. Is this edition (school and church) similar to a study bible then?
 
I rechecked the one thread where someone had the one done by “Oxford Press”, saying it “chips away at his faith” Later in the thread, someone said that the commentaries are from the editors of that issue. I’m wondering, since mine is by Fireside, do the commentaries differ from the Oxford one?

Since I just started reading this bible, I haven’t read too much of the commentaries yet, so I have no idea if these commentaries are more in sympathy so-to-speak with our Catholic faith, than the Oxford one.

I’ve basically been reading the bible itself, and had usually been reading from the Douay online since I only had a little tiny “new testament” that my daughter brought home from school before this. Bibles are so expensive, and the spending was finding other places to rest in, rather than in books. Is this edition (school and church) similar to a study bible then?
All NAB Bibles have the same introductions and notes regardless of who published them. There are different versions of the NAB out there, the 1970 version, then in 1986 the New Testament was revised, in 1991 the Psalms were revised, and this year the latest NAB (Revised Edition) was released, the 1986 New Testament was retained but the Old Testament and the Psalms were revised. I know this is a little confusing, I have the latest edition of the NAB (Revised Edition) and I like it overall.
 
There is only one New American Bible translation approved by and done under the auspices of the US bishops, and it has been revised several times, the latest revision is due later this year. All publishers who put out a NAB do so under agreement with the USCCB honoring their copyright on the translation and notes. Various publishers do add other aids–maps, commentary, specialized indexes, even some concordance material, sidebars, illustrations etc., and they also vary in quality of paper, typescript, binding etc. Fireside bibles are generally of higher quality than low cost versions intended for bulk purchase by parishes, and are consequently more expensive, but if it is the NAB the translation and notes are the same as all others of that year (1970, 1981, etc, year of the revisions). It is the only translation currently approved for use in liturgy in the US (even then the psalms and some other portions are not approved and use older sources).
 
Thank you for setting me straight. I was thinking different editors, different notes. I looked, and it seems that it was printed in 1991… but showing different revision for the psalm and different revisions for other parts.

I suppose I’ll just enjoy it and consider myself gratefully gifted by my son and by God for finding it among my old things.
 
Thank you for setting me straight. I was thinking different editors, different notes. I looked, and it seems that it was printed in 1991… but showing different revision for the psalm and different revisions for other parts.

I suppose I’ll just enjoy it and consider myself gratefully gifted by my son and by God for finding it among my old things.
I was just looking in my study and realized that I also have a copy of the Fireside ‘School and Church’ edition of the NAB (hardback). It is left over from when my son was in High School and when he moved out, he left it here.
 
Wow CalCatholic can we say this is by chance? What’s up with our sons leaving us these gifts? I have to wonder… 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top