Name of young Saint - 20th century?

  • Thread starter Thread starter irom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irom

Guest
I’m looking for the name of of young italian Saint, he lived in 20th century died in his twenties. I was very impressed seeing his story on EWTN a couple of months ago, but fogot his name. I think he was at John Paul II age, born around 1920…
And let me know any young saint names living in our century, this is for teaching my CCD class

Irek
 
I’m looking for the name of of young italian Saint, he lived in 20th century died in his twenties. I was very impressed seeing his story on EWTN a couple of months ago, but fogot his name. I think he was at John Paul II age, born around 1920…
And let me know any young saint names living in our century, this is for teaching my CCD class

Irek
I would not necessarily list any young sains living in our century because, to my knowledge, they have not died yet nor has the Church formally beatified/canonized them.

While I do not know the name of the blessed/saint you are seeking, I can give you an example of a truly heroic young priest from the 20th century, Blessed Miguel Pro, SJ, whose martyrdom/feast we celebrate on November 23rd. He was martyred in Mexico City (during the wave of Catholic persecution) on that date back in 1927 and his is the first photographic record of a martyrdom.

You can find out about him at this website:

www.annball.com

Ann Ball has a really good book out on him pubished by Tan Books, complete with pictures of the martyrdom. Blessed Miguel ministered clandestinely to the Mexican faithful by way of appearing at their doorsteps in various disguises. He would celebrate Mass for auto mechanics, showing up as a mechanic. He would go and hear confessions dressed as a gentleman caller. There are a plethora of stories about him.
 
I’m looking for the name of of young italian Saint, he lived in 20th century died in his twenties. I was very impressed seeing his story on EWTN a couple of months ago, but fogot his name. I think he was at John Paul II age, born around 1920…
And let me know any young saint names living in our century, this is for teaching my CCD class

Irek
You’re probably thinking of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati (1901-1925).

You know, it seems like so many saints died at the age of either 24 or 33. Interesting.
 
I would not necessarily list any young sains living in our century because, to my knowledge, they have not died yet nor has the Church formally beatified/canonized them.
Franciso Marto (June 11, 1908-April 4, 1919) and Jacinta Marto (March 11, 1910- February 20, 1920) were Beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 13, 2000
See: HOMILY OF HIS HOLINESS JOHN PAUL II from the Beatification of Francisco and Jacinta Marto shepherds of Fatima

Other Saints of the 20th century canonized by Pope John Paul II
St. Katharine Drexel (1858-1955)
St. Maximillian Kolbe (1894-1941)
St. Maria Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938)
 
Ann Ball has a really good book out on him pubished by Tan Books, complete with pictures of the martyrdom. Blessed Miguel ministered clandestinely to the Mexican faithful by way of appearing at their doorsteps in various disguises. He would celebrate Mass for auto mechanics, showing up as a mechanic. He would go and hear confessions dressed as a gentleman caller. There are a plethora of stories about him.
My favorite is the one where he was just barely ahead of the police who were after him when he spotted a young woman walking alone. He took her arm and said, “I’m a priest. Help me.” She immediately linked her arm with his and the two young “lovers” continued strolling down the street while the police ran right past them.
 
Adding to benedictgal’s post, Ann Ball is the author of several excellent books on saints, among them, “Modern Saints, Their Lives and Faces” (Vol. I and II) and “Secular Saints”. These books are excellent, not only for the information they give on the saints’ lives, but also for the fact that they contain PHOTOGRAPHS–not drawings or paintings–of saints. She said herself that many of her students didn’t realize that St. Therese (the Little Flower) was a REAL person until they saw a photograph of her in a wheelchair during her final illness… the only St. Therese they knew was a plaster statue with roses.
 
Georgio Pier Frassati? I vaguely remember seeing something on EWTN recently.
 
Georgio Pier Frassati? I vaguely remember seeing something on EWTN recently.
It was a couple of months ago. I can;t find him in book of Ann Ball. But there are a few other book, dedicated only to Georgio Pier Frassati
 
I can’t believe I didn’t think of it earlier, but you might be interested in this book:

Saintly Youth of Modern Times by Joan Carroll Cruz

The book recounts the lives of more than 40 saintly young people from the 20th century, all under the age of 20. None are canonized Saints, but they are all somewhere in the canonization process (whether Servant of God, Venerable, or Blessed). It would make a good resource for CCD.

If you’re dealing with older high school age children, you might also try the book I Choose God: Stories from Young Catholics. It’s a collection of 21 testimonies from young adult Catholics. They’re living people, so none of them are saints, but if you’re looking for stories of young people who made the choice for God, it’s very good.
 
I can’t believe I didn’t think of it earlier, but you might be interested in this book:

Saintly Youth of Modern Times by Joan Carroll Cruz

The book recounts the lives of more than 40 saintly young people from the 20th century, all under the age of 20. None are canonized Saints, but they are all somewhere in the canonization process (whether Servant of God, Venerable, or Blessed). It would make a good resource for CCD.

If you’re dealing with older high school age children, you might also try the book I Choose God: Stories from Young Catholics. It’s a collection of 21 testimonies from young adult Catholics. They’re living people, so none of them are saints, but if you’re looking for stories of young people who made the choice for God, it’s very good.
Thank you for great help !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top