National "Anthems"

  • Thread starter Thread starter LongingSoul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LongingSoul

Guest
I’m loving the Glascow Games for a lot of reasons but mostly for the unofficial Scottish anthem we are being reaquainted with… The Proclaimers “500 Miles”. The Reid twins are ace!

youtube.com/watch?v=tM0sTNtWDiI

How many nationalities participate on CAF? What are your unofficial national anthems?

I suppose Aussies would say Men at Work “Land Downunder”

youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
 
I don’t think I’ve seen a New Zealander on here so I’ll post for them. This is their unofficial anthem. We love it. Dave Dobbin “Slice of Heaven”… (which NZ really is).

youtube.com/watch?v=M0pWejAnLUQ&list=RDM0pWejAnLUQ#t=0
I agree. New Zealand is a most beautiful part of Australia. We must continue to protect it. I see they won a medal, but so did Britain so wonders never cease. (Thank God we are free to joke like this. So refreshing when one looks at the Middle East.)
 
My response is probably too provincial, and has nothing to do with the Glasgow Games, but here in Los Angeles, our regional anthem seems to be Randy Newman’s I Love L.A. And expanding somewhat, one of our state anthems is good old, California, Here I Come.
 
I agree. New Zealand is a most beautiful part of Australia. We must continue to protect it. I see they won a medal, but so did Britain so wonders never cease. (Thank God we are free to joke like this. So refreshing when one looks at the Middle East.)
I take it from your joke that you’re in Oz. Good for you. Up here in the Colonies - at least in my “liberal” state of Massachusetts, one makes a political joke at their own peril – and with the expectation that the Thought Police - in the form of the media - will be at your door shortly. So sad.
 
I take it from your joke that you’re in Oz. Good for you. Up here in the Colonies - at least in my “liberal” state of Massachusetts, one makes a political joke at their own peril – and with the expectation that the Thought Police - in the form of the media - will be at your door shortly. So sad.
I must admit that America does not seem as laid back as Australia. We are over-governed with local councils; Six States and a Federal government all having regulations and red tape. However there appears to be a real political nuance in every governmental administrative decision in America. Examples are found in the anti-Christian crusade using your Constitution to destroy public religious observance; legalization of pot by stealth through State law; a real divide on issues of immigration and public surveillance versus privacy.
We have no outcry against anyone observing their religious obligations; nor any imminent legalization of drugs apart from a push against the public use of tobacco; nor any outcry apart from the feral leftist forth estate on immigration or surveillance to protect against terrorism.
 
My response is probably too provincial, and has nothing to do with the Glasgow Games, but here in Los Angeles, our regional anthem seems to be Randy Newman’s I Love L.A. And expanding somewhat, one of our state anthems is good old, California, Here I Come.
youtube.com/watch?v=MtDhtadoeUk

I love Randy Newman and great anthem! Gives you something of the LA feel that you get even if you haven’t been there.
 
I agree. New Zealand is a most beautiful part of Australia. We must continue to protect it. I see they won a medal, but so did Britain so wonders never cease. (Thank God we are free to joke like this. So refreshing when one looks at the Middle East.)
Good old New Zealand!

I think that being a member of the Commonwealth Nations creates a real sense of connection that resembles Christian unity in a way. It sure helps that QEII has embodied much of the good that modern Monarchy has to offer humanity.

So this is the anthem that I most associate with Canada. Gordon Lightfoot “Farewell to Nova Scotia”. We used to sing it all the time after a few brews.

youtube.com/watch?v=vaE9vlrhX-k
 
I must admit that America does not seem as laid back as Australia. We are over-governed with local councils; Six States and a Federal government all having regulations and red tape. However there appears to be a real political nuance in every governmental administrative decision in America. Examples are found in the anti-Christian crusade using your Constitution to destroy public religious observance; legalization of pot by stealth through State law; a real divide on issues of immigration and public surveillance versus privacy.
We have no outcry against anyone observing their religious obligations; nor any imminent legalization of drugs apart from a push against the public use of tobacco; nor any outcry apart from the feral leftist forth estate on immigration or surveillance to protect against terrorism.
And, yet our national “anthem” is all about death and killing people - “bombs bursting in air”? - is it any wonder we have such a Culture of Death and so many unborn babies being killed? I recognize “America The Beautiful” as America’s real anthem.
 
And, yet our national “anthem” is all about death and killing people - “bombs bursting in air”? - is it any wonder we have such a Culture of Death and so many unborn babies being killed? I recognize “America The Beautiful” as America’s real anthem.
Yep, most official anthems are reflective of our violent settlement or revolutionary histories but there is something of the human struggle of good verses evil to be embraced by those stories in a generic way even when we live in peaceful times, in unity with those we used to be enemies with.

USA unofficial anthems on the other hand…

youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ
 
I take it from your joke that you’re in Oz. Good for you. Up here in the Colonies - at least in my “liberal” state of Massachusetts, one makes a political joke at their own peril – and with the expectation that the Thought Police - in the form of the media - will be at your door shortly. So sad.
Just an interesting aside. There is or was an American pop group named “the Police” and one of their hits was “Dream Police”.

Some coincidence!
 
I always thought the anthem of Russia was the “The Internationale”. But was that only for the old USSR?

I have no idea what the words are, or mean. But I always thought the tune was stirring.

I just remember hearing it in an old film “Reds” with Warren Beatty.
 
And, yet our national “anthem” is all about death and killing people - “bombs bursting in air”? - is it any wonder we have such a Culture of Death and so many unborn babies being killed? I recognize “America The Beautiful” as America’s real anthem.
I think you’re being too hard on Francis Scott Key. His words are about fighting for freedom, not glorifying death. Had we lost the War of 1812 and the British re-taken the Colonies, Catholicism would have been persecuted as it was in Ireland up until the 20th Century.

And I really don’t think you can draw a line between the “Star Spangled Banner” and abortion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top