Near ocassion of Sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter YellowPancakes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YellowPancakes

Guest
Ok so I was watching modern family with my sister yesterday and there was a lot of immodest dress (bikinis etc.). Each time they showed something immodest Iooked down and started playing on my iPod.

Is something like this a ‘near ocassion of sin’? Or am I just being scrupulous… Cheers.
 
Ok so I was watching modern family with my sister yesterday and there was a lot of immodest dress (bikinis etc.). Each time they showed something immodest Iooked down and started playing on my iPod.

Is something like this a ‘near ocassion of sin’? Or am I just being scrupulous… Cheers.
You have to be your own judge. I stopped watching T.V. a long time ago, same with movies, for that very reason. You have to be very careful what you do for entertainment these days because you can be sure that no one in the media is going to have your Catholic values. 👍
 
Ok so I was watching modern family with my sister yesterday and there was a lot of immodest dress (bikinis etc.). Each time they showed something immodest Iooked down and started playing on my iPod.

Is something like this a ‘near ocassion of sin’? Or am I just being scrupulous… Cheers.
You might find it interesting to know that when the bikini was first going to be shown the design could not find any regular models to show it for him. So the man had to hire a stripper to be on the stage wearing the bikini.

You alone can best answer the question as you know your thoughts. I know personally that tonight I will be watching the movie Karol: A Man Who Became Pope. In this day and age it is so easy to pick and chose one’s entertainment that it is simple to avoid problems while still getting good entertainment.

Also, there are Catholic based rating systems for movies. Here is one:
catholicnews.com/movies.htm

I hope this helps.

God Bless
 
I think you need to look at the bigger picture. It is not simply one aspect of this show that is problematic, it is the show in its entirity.

It is imprudent to watch it at all.

It has many problematic themes and characters.
 
Ok so I was watching modern family with my sister yesterday and there was a lot of immodest dress (bikinis etc.). Each time they showed something immodest Iooked down and started playing on my iPod.

Is something like this a ‘near ocassion of sin’? Or am I just being scrupulous… Cheers.
You might find it interesting to know that when the bikini was first going to be shown the design could not find any regular models to show it for him. So the man had to hire a stripper to be on the stage wearing the bikini.

You alone can best answer the question as you know your thoughts. I know personally that tonight I will be watching the movie Karol: A Man Who Became Pope. In this day and age it is so easy to pick and chose one’s entertainment that it is simple to avoid problems while still getting good entertainment.

Also, there are Catholic based rating systems for movies. Here is one:
catholicnews.com/movies.htm

I hope this helps.

God Bless
 
Joyce Meyers has some excellent books in dealing with sexual temptation
 
I think you need to look at the bigger picture. It is not simply one aspect of this show that is problematic, it is the show in its entirity.

It is imprudent to watch it at all.

It has many problematic themes and characters.
I assume one thing in particular you’re referring to is the two ‘gay’ guys. Of course it’s wrong, but I don’t see anything wrong with watching it. Of course there are a lot of other issues with some aspects of the show, such as premarital sex and drunkeness. I’m still struggling to see how it is not a good idea to watch. There are so many worse shows out there. Are you saying it is bad to watch anything with any of these references in it? I apologise if I’m coming across in a negative light, but I’m just a bit confused. Thanks.
 
Sadly I agree with most posters, many american tv sitcoms are simply inappropriate to watch at all because they contain so many offenses to God in one episode :confused:

I’ve had to stop watching many shows for this reason. The only american shows i faithfully watch are Person of interest, blue bloods and Downton abbey. Most of these have no or minimal offensive material. It took time and some grinding of teeth for me to give up the rest of the shows I enjoyed but I did it because I know it was better for my soul.

I also watch a lot of asian dramas especially korean ones, they entertain me and are very tame and never contain nudity sex or much violence. 🙂
 
Sadly I agree with most posters, many american tv sitcoms are simply inappropriate to watch at all because they contain so many offenses to God in one episode :confused:

I’ve had to stop watching many shows for this reason. The only american shows i faithfully watch are Person of interest, blue bloods and Downton abbey. Most of these have no or minimal offensive material. It took time and some grinding of teeth for me to give up the rest of the shows I enjoyed but I did it because I know it was better for my soul.

I also watch a lot of asian dramas especially korean ones, they entertain me and are very tame and never contain nudity sex or much violence. 🙂
I totally understand that in real life, these things would be offensive to God. But how can it be if it’s only a show?
 
I assume one thing in particular you’re referring to is the two ‘gay’ guys. Of course it’s wrong, but I don’t see anything wrong with watching it. Of course there are a lot of other issues with some aspects of the show, such as premarital sex and drunkeness. I’m still struggling to see how it is not a good idea to watch. There are so many worse shows out there. Are you saying it is bad to watch anything with any of these references in it? I apologise if I’m coming across in a negative light, but I’m just a bit confused. Thanks.
I didn’t see your reply before I posted sorry. Only you could decide if watching these shows are a near occasion of sin for you or not. For me they are because I’ve struggled with lust in the past and seeing people present themselves in a shallow sexual manner is not good for me. A priest once told me that the majority of your time should be spent with things that enhance your life, show you beautiful pure things and make you want to be a better person and these shows don’t qualify so I avoid them. It might be different for you i don’t know 🤷
 
I didn’t see your reply before I posted sorry. Only you could decide if watching these shows are a near occasion of sin for you or not. For me they are because I’ve struggled with lust in the past and seeing people present themselves in a shallow sexual manner is not good for me. A priest once told me that the majority of your time should be spent with things that enhance your life, show you beautiful pure things and make you want to be a better person and these shows don’t qualify so I avoid them. It might be different for you i don’t know 🤷
Yes I have had a major problem with lust. I am always cautious with what shows and movies I watch, and if I am unsure I will look at the parent’s guide on IMDB. Which helps heaps. I guess I’m just really frustrated with how I’m restricted to what I can watch. One scene in a movie can make the movie unwatchable. Same thing goes for music; one word or reference can ruin a good song. It’s so frustrating.
 
Can you talk to a priest about this, somebody who knows you, your confessor maybe?
There is a fine line between being too lash and being too scrupulous sometimes.
I have had similar problems before and gotten quite good advice from a priest who knows also my issues with scrupulosity, so i am not sure if the advice he gave ME would be the same he would give to another peson. This can be something very personal.
 
I totally understand that in real life, these things would be offensive to God. But how can it be if it’s only a show?
Let me offer this idea for you to consider.
The more time you spend moving away from God then the longer it takes to get back on track.
Yes I have had a major problem with lust. I am always cautious with what shows and movies I watch, and if I am unsure I will look at the parent’s guide on IMDB. Which helps heaps. I guess I’m just really frustrated with how I’m restricted to what I can watch. One scene in a movie can make the movie unwatchable. Same thing goes for music; one word or reference can ruin a good song. It’s so frustrating.
If I may offer a real life example of how being “restricted” can produce an excellent result:

Soccer season has just wrapped up for my 14 years and under team. My team the Blood Red Dragons did awful against the Silver Bullets the first 2 times we played them losing 2 to 0 and 6 to 2. In each loss a quick little kid named Caleb destroyed us with 3 goals each game. The next time we played I told a kid named Charlie that he was going to be Caleb’s best friend and always stay right next to him and shut him down. Charlie had to speed to do the job. At halftime Charlie mentioned how frustrated he was at being “restricted”. The score was 2 to 2 at the time. I asked Charlie if he wanted to win, which of course he did, and so I told him this is what he needed to do for the team to win. Charlie did an excellent job defending Caleb and our team ended up with 3 to 3 tie. My kids were JAZZED by the result.

Think about the 10 Commandments – talk about being restrictive!! Yet, the commandments are there as protection and guidance as to what to avoid. However, by not doing the sinful actions we are freed to do good. Also, there are only 24 hours in a day and every minute spent in watching junk/trash takes away time from inspiring and elevating ourselves and others.

Have you heard of Sherwood Pictures? They are based out of a small church (non Catholic) in Georgia, USA. They have produced 4 full length movies which have been clean and highly entertaining.

sherwoodpictures.com/

Well, I hope all is going well.

God bless
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top