Need advice from Moms

• Thread starter Thread starter awalt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

awalt

Can any of the Moms on the forum recommend a good book I can give a Mom that talks about the challenges all Moms face (raising kids, self-concept, give up career, “thankless”, no sleep, every day is Groundhog’s Day, etc. etc.), and describes how to deal with these challenges through growing of one’s faith in Christ?

If the book helped you through your faith, that’s what I am looking for!

Ideally it’s stories about Moms or written by one…thanks!

I’m a teenager and not a mom but I feel the need to throw in…

Love your kids. Don’t show off your wonderful parenting skills. The minute you start showing off is the minute you’ve forgotten about your kids. Love them. Who your kids are is more important than what your wonderful parenting techniques look like to other people.

Love! Love! Always love! Remind yourself of your love for your kids. Remember the flowers they picked for you when you’re cleaning up puke off the bathroom floor. Always love your kids.

Try Dr. Colleen Mast or Dr Ray Gurendi. You can find them by going through www.relevantradio.com.

I personally pray the Hail Mary and Rosary. I also ask my girls to put their hands on me during prayers at night. I ask them to ask God to make me the kind of Mom that they need. I got that from Dr. Colleen.

There are two books that I bought back around mother’s day. One, I loaned to a stay at home mom so I don’t have the title. That book is great for stay at home moms. I’m sure someone on the forum knows the title. It was a special on Catholic Answers back in May. The other book that came in the packet is “Holiness for Housewives” by van Zeller. The book talks about bringing prayer into the daily routine. It has prayers for housewives at the end.

40.png
Jenlyn:
There are two books that I bought back around mother’s day. One, I loaned to a stay at home mom so I don’t have the title. That book is great for stay at home moms. I’m sure someone on the forum knows the title. It was a special on Catholic Answers back in May. The other book that came in the packet is “Holiness for Housewives” by van Zeller. The book talks about bringing prayer into the daily routine. It has prayers for housewives at the end.
I’m not a Mom, but I’m married to one who takes her role as a Catholic mother and wife quite seriously. I’m only guessing, but perhaps the other book you are thinking about is A Mother’s Rule of Life, by Holly Pierlot:
aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/store.ItemDetails/SKU/18799/ImageSize/Lg/Category/0/

I understand it is a very popular book among Catholic (as well as many Protestant) homeschooling mothers. My wife picked up a seven (?) week talk by Kimberly Hahn on this at the Catholic Family Conference in August in California. I don’t think the talk by Kimberly is widely available yet (though you can check www.saintjoe.com)), but the book can easily be found at most Catholic bookstores or online.

(There used to be a thread in this forum about this book, but I’m not sure it’s still there. You may want to do a search)

More than a book – but a real study and growth group for moms can be found through FAMILIA – a program developed and based upon the Theology of the Body, Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

www.familiausa.net is their website.

year one, we discussed Familiaris Consortio
year two was dignatus mulieribus (The Dignity of Motherhood)

I am just starting year three and I am amazed at the growth I experienced more understanding and joy in my role of wife and mother. My husband and I were going through some tough financial times and the program led us to being so much kinder to each other.

Just a thought. The friendships are great and the women one meets there are usually quite dedicated to their families and faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back