Need advice to help my daughter

• Thread starter Thread starter theresa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theresa

My 7 yr. old daughter has a physical disability that makes it very difficult for her to take part in lots of activities. I won’t go into lots of details. But she has become angry about how this disability affects her and has said she’s angry at God. I know this is her frustration coming out but I do not want this to become a habit…blaming God for her problems. Any ideas of how to deal with this? Thanks, Theresa

I know your daughter is young, but have you tried teaching her about redemptive suffering? I wonder if anyone could recommend a book about this directed at children?

I’m going to go to our priest with this problem. Maybe he has some ideas of books for her. She is shy and I can’t quite imagine her being very open to talking with the priest. Thank you, Catholic Sam, for your concern. This has been a difficult situation and I don’t want my daughter to begin a life long decision to blame God for her difficulties.

At her age she is just realizing how limited her life is. Anger is the first stage of acceptance and is probably necessary to a degree. Even adults who develop disabilities get angry and angry at God. I’m sure God understands. I think that with prayer and open discussions she will be fine.

Can you find activities that she Can participate in? Refocus her attitude from what she CAN"T do, to what she CAN do. 🙂

She did it again to me tonight…".God did this to me. Why does he hate me so much? " I told her, for the thousandth time, that God loves her, lots of people have physical and mental disabilities, she is not being punished for something she or I did. She does have a lot of anger, especially when she’s tired. She just had surgery a few weeks ago and it’s been very hard on her. I guess I shouldn’t worry too much about her spiritual difficulties right now. She is young. But I want to nip this in the bud early. There are many things she can do and participate in , and we do emphasize the positive constantly with her. Thank you for the (name removed by moderator)ut. It helps to get an objective opinion. God bless, Theresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back