Need encouragement today

• Thread starter Thread starter jrabs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrabs

Hi - I have come here to seek your encouragement to get this spirit of heaviness and I guess jealousy off my soul.

It appears my good friends around me are having some real breakthrough’s in their lives within the past few weeks. I have been praying hard for them and some awesome things have been happening to those around me. I am happy that such great things have happened to my friends.

Now I am very steadfast in my praying, daily mass, daily Adoration - but God’s hand seems to be getting further and further away leaving me in the desert to gain strength. It is just hard to stay positive out here in the desert.

Oh - one side note - a few months ago, I felt the Holy Spirit guide me to stop spending so much of my prayer time on myself and focus only on others. So, I am trying to be obedient and let all go as God wishes. So I do not feel obedient in praying for myself.

Now I do realize the devil is playing with my head and thoughts - I am going to a healing ceremony at church tonight.
Thanks for your thoughts.

While reading your post, the story of the Prodigal Son came to mind… here’s how: (I’m a little groggy today, so I hope this makes sense…)

…not trying to take too much liberty with the story… don’t have a bible available, so I’m giving it a go from my memory…

Ok, so the one son is good and does what he should and is the father’s kind of ‘favorite’, right? And the other son is kind of the screw-up, right? Everyone is hoping that the ‘black-sheep’ son will come back…and when he does, there’s a HUGE party for him!! Hooray!!! …But the ‘good son’ is upset…‘hey, I’ve been here doing what I should all along, and no one throws ME a party!! I’m confused, and a little upset!’…ah, but remember, he’s already where he should be, getting what he needs…

It’s easy to be almost jealous when everyone around you seems to be experiencing great JOYS and you’re in the day to day grind…but it sounds like you are where you need to be, and God celebrates that, only quieter. Keep on truckin’!! When you are in need, God will be there for you (with help through the prayers of those you’ve been a great friend and example for!)

Dry times test the faith.

Uncle Screwtape says that’s the best time for De Debbil’s minions to attack, mislead, confuse, and hide the truth from believers.

Best thing is to keep on doing what you’re doing. Rejoice in your dry time, knowing that your prayers are going to help others through crises worse than your own. .

The desert is a very sacred place. Keep your eye out for the pillars of cloud and fire.

Give some thought to making a personal retreat. (Do your homework and look into it first, of course! We have enneagrams and so forth in some “retreats” in this area.)

Thank you for your responses. They did bring a smile to my face. I do know I am where I am supposed to be and working hard.

I cannot make retreats these days being a single mom, however I am able to take advantage of a few speakers and such at my church. Fr. Corapi is coming this weekend and I will see him. And I am going to see a speaker tonight, healing service, holy hour, and nice people. Those are my mini retreats.

I just gotta work hard at offering this blah/jealousy/self pity feeling up.
Thanks again.

Dear jrabs

God the Father chastises his sons and daughter’s, He is harder on those closest to Him, the closer we are to God, the harder the road is, this is a huge consolation when walking the hard road…holiness is hard won and force is needed, we need to force ourselves to pray in these times and force our hearts to love even more…

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Hey Jen: You are a very wonderful person and I know what you mean about dry times in the desert. Keep pumping out those prayers for others. You will be rewarded! Sometimes when I feel down I listen to Josh Groben or I read the following:

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it’s a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heriosm. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I will be praying:gopray: for you today as mass.

Puppy

Read Psalm 103 😃

Rest your head on the Sacred Heart of Jesus…
Consider His perfect smile
and the Holy Laughter
that expresses His joy in you–
His child.

God Bless!

40.png
jrabs:
Now I do realize the devil is playing with my head and thoughts - I am going to a healing ceremony at church tonight.
Aha! There you go…be open tonight…something profound may be in store for you…My prayers are with you. Annunciata:)
p.s. take heart…many I know, including myself are or have recently gone through an"Oppression" .😉

40.png
jrabs:
Hi - I have come here to seek your encouragement to get this spirit of heaviness and I guess jealousy off my soul.

It appears my good friends around me are having some real breakthrough’s in their lives within the past few weeks. I have been praying hard for them and some awesome things have been happening to those around me. I am happy that such great things have happened to my friends.

Now I am very steadfast in my praying, daily mass, daily Adoration - but God’s hand seems to be getting further and further away leaving me in the desert to gain strength. It is just hard to stay positive out here in the desert.

Oh - one side note - a few months ago, I felt the Holy Spirit guide me to stop spending so much of my prayer time on myself and focus only on others. So, I am trying to be obedient and let all go as God wishes. So I do not feel obedient in praying for myself.

I’m glad you recognize the devil’s hand in the feelings that you’re having! You know that, even during the dry times, when you don’t feel God, He’s there. This spiritually difficult time is serving a deeper purpose. It will pass.

I read about Mother Theresa that the entire time she was doing her missionary work in India that she did not feel God’s presence. She was going entirely on faith, not at all on feelings. Perhaps she’d be a good one to pray to during this time.

I put you in my prayer journal and will pray for this need every day until you tell me I can move it to my “answered prayers” page! 🙂

In Christ,
Nancy 🙂

40.png
jrabs:

What did Jesus do? After healing and performing many of his miracles Jesus would go to the Father in prayer. We are to do the same. Its okay for you to ask for yourself so that the Lord will give you renewed strength.Come draw from the living waters of Jesus Christ. 👍

40.png
jrabs:
I cannot make retreats these days being a single mom.
Sure you can. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Many retreats will work out child care; there have to be people in your parish who could help out; and many retreats will find a way to deal with costs. Don’t let that type of negative thinking set you up. Don’t predetermine what is possible and not possible. that’s God’s job…

Please read Lamentations
Chapter 3

17 My soul is deprived of peace, I have forgotten what happiness is; 18 I tell myself my future is lost, all that I hoped for from the LORD. 19 The thought of my homeless poverty is wormwood and gall; 20 Remembering it over and over leaves my soul downcast within me. 21 But I will call this to mind, as my reason to have hope: 22 The favors of the LORD are not exhausted, his mercies are not spent; 23 They are renewed each morning, so great is his faithfulness. 24 My portion is the LORD, says my soul; therefore will I hope in him. 25 Good is the LORD to one who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him; 26 It is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the LORD.

40.png
otm:
Sure you can. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Many retreats will work out child care; there have to be people in your parish who could help out; and many retreats will find a way to deal with costs. Don’t let that type of negative thinking set you up. Don’t predetermine what is possible and not possible. that’s God’s job…
You are right. I need to dig a bit. I am working on getting over being too proud to ask for help in the child care end of things. I am sure someone out there would want to watch my darlin’ little dumplin’s.

YOU GUYS ALL are so awesome in your advice. I did not think about psalm 103. I’ll look it up now.

I cannot imagine being Mother T. in the desert for most of her life. - here I’m whining over a few weeks. What an amazing woman. I just asked for her intercession.

You folks here just bring tears to my eyes in your kindness. Thanks

Dear jrabs,

I don’t know if I have this story right…but here goes. At mass one Sunday a priest told a story of a craftsman who refines gold or silver. (Don’t remember that part!) Anyways, the craftsman said that when you put the item in fire you cannot take your eye off it…that too much heat ruins the piece and is burned up…too little heat and the dross or junk (ha!) in it will not be purified out. So the craftsman must hold the tool in his hand and keep his eye on it until that moment when it is perfected. This story hit me like a ton of bricks. I know I’m not getting it right…but basically, we are held in Gods hands and when he burns off the dross, or purifies us, we feel the heat, or sometimes wonder where he is during these hard times. But know that His eye is on us every second, and his loving hands will take us out the very moment neccesary. Sometimes those dry moments are more difficult than when something is happening. It leaves us wondering. But I’m sure our faithfulness in these times speaks loudly to the Lord. It’s easy to say we’re faithful when the good times are a rollin’. Not so easy in the dry season. I will keep you in prayer.

I have been in the most difficult trial of my life for near a year now. And it is slowly getting easier to handle. But I have been feeling like something is about to give “soon” - as in a Godly soon.

Maybe I am being discouraged so that I quit just before my wonderful , terrific breakthrough.

Sorry, not gonna quit.

some beautiful words from some beautiful people, all of whom care about you. Your post illustrates a trap we all fall into, and it is what protestants are warning us about with the “faith vs works” debate. We think somehow because we are doing everything right that God “owes” us peace, prosperity, comfort, consolation, good feelings, happiness and a trouble-free life. It just ain’t that way. We do everything solely for love of Him, not for any benefit that may accrue to ourselves. Love is all you need, da dah da da dah . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back