Need help with forming a Rosary Group

• Thread starter Thread starter compactdiss
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compactdiss

My local Parish has no current Rosary group, it has disbanded over the years.
I may have the opportunity to begin a new one. I am worried about this due to never having done anything like this before.
The most I have done is sit in church and recite with everyone. I used to go to a friends house on Friday nights but that was a small group and not church related.

Any ideas about how your group runs or negatives?

I think this may be a great opportunity for me to deepen my faith and become closer to Jesus. I have been looking for a good volunteer opportunity to help people and this may be it.

What do you think? How does your group run? How many people involved? How much time out of your week does it take?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank You,
God Bless!

Our church has a Novena Group that says the rosary at every meeting and prays for the intentions of those present and those who have asked members to pray. They use the standard “Our Lady of Perpetual Help” novena. They meet each Wednesday night. Sometimes only a few attend but it has lasted through the years. The group has a free permanent Ad in our parish bulletin.

Hope you will start a group. May God bless you and may the Holy Spirit guide you.

please if you are successful, urge your members to pray the rosary according to the guidelines given by Pope John Paul II when he gave is the Luminous Mysteries. they were published in an encyclical during the Year of the Rosary a couple of years ago. Basically it is immersing oneself in the scripture before beginning the recitation of the prayers and brings us back to the true purpose of the rosary, meditation on the mysteries of Christ’s life, death and resurrection. Pray the prayers contemplatively, slowly, with purpose and intention. Make an effort to find out the intercesions and intentions requested by parishioners during the week and lift them up at this time.

discourage the rapid staccato unthinking rattling off the prayers in order to finish with a new world record for shortest rosary which makes this such an unpleasant experience for Catholics of my generation used to thoughtless public recitations of the rosary.

All I can say is this…do not expect to measure your success by numbers of people who come out to join you. Instead, remember the words of Mother Theresa…God did not ask me to be successful, he just asked me to be faithful! Pray and Pray some more!

40.png
puzzleannie:
please if you are successful, urge your members to pray the rosary according to the guidelines given by Pope John Paul II when he gave is the Luminous Mysteries. they were published in an encyclical during the Year of the Rosary a couple of years ago. Basically it is immersing oneself in the scripture before beginning the recitation of the prayers and brings us back to the true purpose of the rosary, meditation on the mysteries of Christ’s life, death and resurrection. Pray the prayers contemplatively, slowly, with purpose and intention. Make an effort to find out the intercesions and intentions requested by parishioners during the week and lift them up at this time.

discourage the rapid staccato unthinking rattling off the prayers in order to finish with a new world record for shortest rosary which makes this such an unpleasant experience for Catholics of my generation used to thoughtless public recitations of the rosary.
I’ve never been a member of a regular Rosary group, but I’d echo the advice above since the reason I’ve never joined is for the factors cited above. The Rosary Group meetings I have attended have suffered from these defects and others – people rushing through just to get it done and leave, the piling on of numerous archaic (tons of thees, thous, deigns, etc) and monotonically recited extraneous prayers, no time given for voicing personal intentions, etc, etc. The best home group recitations I’ve been exposed to were very relaxed with the anouncement of the mysteries and the recitation of the prayers understandable and in a prayerful (not necessarily slow) manner. A short time for fellowship afterwards is also nice. It is especially gratifying (and heartwarming) if you can involve families with children who can pitch in with a decade or so. Also, people like meeting in one place or in a small number of regular places so they don’t need a map everytime they go. Others here may disagree with my observations but, like I said, I’m only speaking from my limited experience with Rosary groups.

I have organized other kinds of groups (Men’s groups, Bible studies and apologetics classes) and the hardest thing seems to be getting the item in the bulletin and finding a suitable place. Flyers placed in the Church are helpful because not everyone reads the bulletin (I’ve never understood that, but it’s true). Just send out the invitation and the rest, with prayer and trust in God’s will, takes care of itself.

Hopefully others can give you some advice on format and organization. God bless you for considering this ministry.

Check out Rosary for Life, “a voluntary association of Christian Faithful. Its purpose is to promote reverence and respect for the God-given gift of life - especially the life of the unborn - by means of praying the Most Holy Rosary.”

Even if you do not choose to use this theme, there are some great instructions at the site on how to begin a rosary prayer group at your parish.

I participated in a rosary prayer group during a frustrating time in my life, when the local parish was opposing the Catholic Church’s teachings. Sometimes I think it was my lifeline - the only thing that kept me going through it all.

God bless you.
Lily628

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back