Need help with Hymns and Music

• Thread starter Thread starter Jermosh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jermosh

Hiyas,

I am a still a neophyte. So I still find my self lost on certain things and traditions of my newly found lost home. But I am lost on Hymns, I have never enjoyed music, and never related to music in my Life. I enjoy music as a backdrop noise but thats it.

But for the honesty of me I cannot get into signing of hymns at all. I understand that they are not for entertainment and are infact a prayer, but I would just rather say the prayer for that matter then.

I did enjoy the signing of my youth which was a charismatic denomination. But Catholic hymsn have little or no beat to them at all.

Any help?? Or am I just helpless.

Peace with you 🙂
Jermosh

I’ve been told that predominately African-American parishes have very upbeat music, since music is often a very big part of their culture.

Have you tried going to weekday Masses in addition to Sunday Mass? Generally there is no music at weekday Masses, and some of the songs (like the responsorial Psalms) are spoken.

Peace

The singin of hymns, or worship through song (usually Psalms) is an ancient practice that can be found in the writings of the early Church fathers. It evolved in the 600’s into the Gregorian Chants (which personally I find to be the most beautiful form of musical worship), and has further evolved into what you hear today. I guess the Catholic Church has a little different view of the use of sacred music than the various Protestant denominations. I definitely prefer the Catholic “view” (if I had it my way, I’d reinstitute the chants). I guess I just prefer music in Church to be different from music on the radio.

Not that “praise” music in the more modern formats (including gospel music) doesn’t have it’s place, personally, I just don’t think it is in the Church. I don’t dislike it, I just like to have my total focus on God in Church, and I think some music distracts me from doing so. I find the simpler (solemn) music enhances my attention and edifies me more.

Sometimes the earliest Mass on Sunday is quiet - no music. Check your bulletin and see if there’s one at 7:30 or 8:00.

Betsy

it would be the exception rather than the rule to find hymns that truly are prayers in most Catholic churches today. My sister is catholic married to a baptist, she is wanting to come back to the church but the awfulness of the music is a huge problem for her, since she sings professionally (operatic). She has sung for years in the choir of a large church in Chicago, I think lutheran or methodist, that is nationally known, and says they sing a huge body of traditionally “Catholic” hymns including lots of Latin. their organist is a nationally known musician as well. Large protestant congregations understand the importance of music in worship and are willing to pay for it. She has found an early Mass where there is no music, which to her is better than ghastly music, but she feels there is a huge chunk of true worship missing. According to the liturgical documents she is right, but I am hoping the impoverishment of the music will lead her to greater appreciation of and longing for the Eucharist. She says it is her link with Catholic theology expressed in the old hymns that has kept her Catholic in mentality and it will be hard to give it all up.

Music is meant to be unifying and prayerful, but one can make every parishioner happy.

With that said, I would say that attentively reading the lyrics and not singing is acceptable. Those who are tone deaf or uncomfortable singing are members of the Body of Christ, too.

My only gripe when I am standing up there song leading and sincerely striving to make a Mass more beautiful are those who stand or sit like teenager who wants the world to know he/she isn’t being affected by any of this. When an adult does that I don’t like it, but since they don’t throw fruit at me, I don’t spit at them.

Try to find a way to be attentive even if you don’t want to sing. Sometimes the great difference in the music is lessened as you get used to it.

40.png
puzzleannie:
it would be the exception rather than the rule to find hymns that truly are prayers in most Catholic churches today. My sister is catholic married to a baptist, she is wanting to come back to the church but the awfulness of the music is a huge problem for her, since she sings professionally (operatic). She has sung for years in the choir of a large church in Chicago, I think lutheran or methodist, that is nationally known, and says they sing a huge body of traditionally “Catholic” hymns including lots of Latin. their organist is a nationally known musician as well. Large protestant congregations understand the importance of music in worship and are willing to pay for it. She has found an early Mass where there is no music, which to her is better than ghastly music, but she feels there is a huge chunk of true worship missing. According to the liturgical documents she is right, but I am hoping the impoverishment of the music will lead her to greater appreciation of and longing for the Eucharist. She says it is her link with Catholic theology expressed in the old hymns that has kept her Catholic in mentality and it will be hard to give it all up.
There is a parish here in Phoenix that employs top notch composers and musicians. The flavor is very contemporary. Tom Booth is one of the music leaders and is recognized throughout the US. The director, Tim Smith has written for Broadway and is extremely talented. My point is that the music is way too close to the focus for me. But as a music leader myself I envy their music program simply because of its professionalism. Each week there is standing room only at all the masses. They pack 'em in. Drums, woodwinds, strings, guitars all playing incredible music is what draws them. I doubt that their pastor would give up the revenues generated by their efforts.
It must be rewarding for them to see all the loving followers of their music each week.

Perhaps it would be wonderful if we could, just once in a while, revert to St. Gregory’s vision of soft, prayerful, music but I’m afraid that the bottom line would suffer if we did away with contemporary music liturgy. And besides, I don’t think I could find 20 men (all baritones) that could pull it off. ;0)

I wonder if our music will be longed for 500 years from now…

peace,
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back