Need help with this question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rosie11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don’t know the priest it was on the news, but she was trying to say you can’t acknowledge what he did was wrong, Only God can, don’t get me wrong I have never met a bad priest always lovely and Godly and upright and I’ve never had anything bad to say about a single one, but it’s the wolves in sheeps clothing the ones you see on the news, I don’t want to gossip about them, but I don’t feel like it’s a sin to acknowledge what they did was wrong.
 
Be careful about what you accept as truth from the news about a person who is still on trial. In my experience the news has absolutely no qualms with ruining people’s lives over unsubstantiated claims. The priest could be guilty of horrible things or he could be innocent.
 
In general you shouldn’t be talking about anyone’s problems. You aren’t supposed to reveal a persons problems to a third party unless they have some need to know. It is the sin of calumny.
 
How in the world would it violate the Church to shed light on anyone. One must not slander, one must not spread untruths or gossip. However, I certainly can say that the local priest telling people false and sinful things should be avoided. If it weren’t for news people law enforcement and the laity talking about priests my diocese would still have 3 abusers and a potential murderer walking around. Not to mention the local priests encouraging artificial birth control etc…
 
Ok I don’t think that’s right, someone told me we can’t talk about a bad priest no matter what he does you can’t talk about them? Is that right because I think bad priests are like wolves, and they give the good priests the true men of god a bad name they ruin the Catholic Church and cause people to leave it that’s my opinion on bad priest or evil priests but what does the bible say about this? Am I wrong?
Justice may be sought, but there are three things to avoid: rash judgement, detraction, and slander.

Catechism
2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:
  • of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;
  • of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;279
  • of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.
2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one’s neighbor . Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.
 
Last edited:
I don’t want to spread anything and besides it’s public knowledge, I don’t want to gossip, I just don’t think it’s wrong to acknowledge when a priest is wrong, not gossip or spread rumours just acknowledge
 
How in the world would it violate the Church to shed light on anyone. One must not slander, one must not spread untruths or gossip. However, I certainly can say that the local priest telling people false and sinful things should be avoided. If it weren’t for news people law enforcement and the laity talking about priests my diocese would still have 3 abusers and a potential murderer walking around. Not to mention the local priests encouraging artificial birth control etc…
you need to look at what the catechism says about detraction, which is telling the truth about someone in order to lower their reputation.
 
you need to look at what the catechism says about detraction, which is telling the truth about someone in order to lower their reputation.
This would seem to be relevant information from what he provided.
 
because in my opinion a man who does that isn’t a man of God ,
Whoah. Men and women of God commit sins, sometimes really huge sins. It is never, ever, our place to judge the soul of another.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others. This accused man, everyone involved in this heartbreaking thing, needs your prayers, not your condemnation.
am I aloud to acknowledge what he did was wrong
“So and So is accused and on trial for crimes. Until there is a verdict, I will assume he is innocent.”

If a guilty verdict is issued, it is not a sin to say “so and so was found guilty of the crime of blah blah. I think this is a tragedy and I pray for everyone involved, that they will find healing in Christ.”
u should never ever talk about it to matter what the priest did even if proven guilty
Chances are in the Bishop in has already issued statements to the faithful, and will continue to do so after the verdict. It can be very healing for the parish to offer some times for discussion and prayer, so people can give voice to their feelings of anger and fear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top