Need quote help!

• Thread starter Thread starter godschick
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

godschick

ok, i am 17years old and have this “friend”, and we’ve been friends for the past 5 years. and it now all she talks about is how i’m going to hell etc. because i’m catholic. and in talking about this with my mom she remembered part of this quote that i could use with her. so if any one knows the first part of it i would be most appreciative. it ends with"… in all things charity." it has something to do with the WAY we should answer those who attack us for our religious beliefs. I cannot discuss anything with her regarding the how’s and why’s of catholicism due to her animosity towards the faith. This is beginning to interfere with other relationships as well.

-godschick

She may be thinking of this one. It is commonly attributed to St. Augustine, but it may or may not have another source:
“In essentials, unity; in doubtful matters, liberty; in all things, charity.”
If your so-called “friend” really thinks you are going to hell just because you are a Catholic, I doubt this quotation will sway her much. Protestants often use this saying to explain away the existence of 25,000 competing sects that all base their beliefs on the Bible alone. To some anti-Catholics it only applies to their fellow “Christians” among which they do not include Catholics.

40.png
godschick:
ok, i am 17years old and have this “friend”, and we’ve been friends for the past 5 years. and it now all she talks about is how i’m going to hell etc. because i’m catholic. and in talking about this with my mom she remembered part of this quote that i could use with her. so if any one knows the first part of it i would be most appreciative. it ends with"… in all things charity." it has something to do with the WAY we should answer those who attack us for our religious beliefs. I cannot discuss anything with her regarding the how’s and why’s of catholicism due to her animosity towards the faith. This is beginning to interfere with other relationships as well.

-godschick
I Peter 3:15

Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;

150 Reasons Why I am a Catholic by convert Dave Armstrong may help you. socrates58.blogspot.com/2005/09/150-reasons-why-i-am-catholic-revised.html

I went to work for an anti-Catholic boss 18 months ago. During the months that followed he had a lot of questions answered, and misconceptions corrected, because I had studied what non-Catholics think about Catholicism and because I was able to use Scripture to support my beliefs.

At the time he was looking for a new spiritual home (denomination). He said that when he found the one that he believed was the right one, he would do everything in his power to convert me.

He is now looking at the Catholic Church as the one true Church, containing the fullness of Faith.

The quote “In essentials, unity; in doubtful matters, liberty; in all things, charity” is important to remember. When you talk with your friend, speak with respect, gentleness and love. Let your conviction and joy for your faith and the Eucharist shine through you.

Tell her you value her friendship and appreciate how much she cares for you, if she didn’t it wouldn’t worry her that you might be going to Hell (according to what she has been taught). After all, either Jesus is truly present Body, Blood Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament or we are worshipping a piece of bread.

May I suggest you tell her that you will pray to the Holy Spirit for the Wisdom to understand God’s Law and the grace to do His Will, if she will do the same.

Hmm…here’s are some possiblilities:

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
Source: I Corinthians (ch. XIII, v. 13)

And**
And thou I bestow all my good to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
Source: I Corinthians (ch. XIII, v. 3)

**And **
In things essential, unity; in doubtful, liberty; in all things, charity. [Lat., In necessasariis, unitas; In dubiis, libertas; in omnibus, caritas.]
Author: Thomas a Kempis
Source: Imitation of Christ (bk. I, ch. III), (Dibdin’s translation)

The motto for the Independent Catholic Chruches International is:
In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, diversity; in all things, charity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back