Need some advice concerning vocation

• Thread starter Thread starter callador
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

callador

I am currently considering a vocation to the priesthood. I wanted to use this forum as a sounding board to possibly receive some advice.

A couple of years ago, I considered a vocation to the priesthood as a Jesuit. I spent a year out on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation teaching High School. I loved what I was doing, and I am not sure why I didn’t decide to enter the Novitiate. I am a convert, and my family was dead-set against it. I decided instead to pursue my Commercial Pilot’s License, with family approval.

I spent time working and basically ignoring the call. I managed to get my Multi-engine Commercial Pilot’s License (w/ Instrument). Now I feel I am back in the same place. I often find myself wondering where the service aspect is in the flight industry. I know that I can still be a good Catholic and a Pilot. Essentially I could be active in my church. However, that does not feel right to me.

So anyways, about 4 months ago I started spiritual direction again. I even eventually mustered up enough courage to check out my local seminary. The seminarians seem great, and I think I would like the diocesan ministry. I can also see myself in a religious order, although I am still searching. My seminary had to shut down its academic program, so the seminarians stay at the local facility, but drive across town to another seminary for classes.

I have not been to the academic facilites, but a recently read a book called “The Collar” by Jonathan Englert that did scare me a bit. I liked the book, but some of the seminarians conduct was a bit scary. E.G. One guy would randomly defecate in sinks around the place. That just seems strange. Also, some of the classes seemed to over-emphasies the historical aspects of scripture study. I like studing history, but it seemed to move beyond that realm when the one professor mentioned that most of Jesus’ miracles did not happen.

I also read another book called “The Joy of Priesthood” by Fr. Stephen Rossetti. I liked this book as well, but again, it scared me a bit reading about how the pressures of the priesthood really made many priest just totally break down. This author was a counselor at an institution, dealing with priests that broke down. Many were pedophiles, alcoholics, etc (a host of other vices). He made some good points on how to live a healthy celibate life, and I do believe that he had great intentions while writing this. But both of these as vocational material were eye openers. I appreciate the honesty, so it is not like my diocese is painting a pretty picture for me. It makes you think.

Has anyone else read these books? If so, is there any advice you can give me concerning their interpretation? Are there any other “more positive” or other materials that I should read?

As for my diocese, I like the Bishop, and many of the men seem great. I was concerned about the academic portion of the training, since I consider myself a bit more conservative. Are there other seminaries that one can attend? Are there any diocese that you would recommend?

I recently wrote a greeting e-mail to the Pope and asked him to pray for me. I ask all of you to pray for me as well during this time of discernment. Thanks in advance.

I am currently considering a vocation to the priesthood. I wanted to use this forum as a sounding board to possibly receive some advice.

A couple of years ago, I considered a vocation to the priesthood as a Jesuit. I spent a year out on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation teaching High School. I loved what I was doing, and I am not sure why I didn’t decide to enter the Novitiate. I am a convert, and my family was dead-set against it. I decided instead to pursue my Commercial Pilot’s License, with family approval.

This happens to many converts as well as cradle Catholics.

I spent time working and basically ignoring the call. I managed to get my Multi-engine Commercial Pilot’s License (w/ Instrument). Now I feel I am back in the same place. I often find myself wondering where the service aspect is in the flight industry. I know that I can still be a good Catholic and a Pilot. Essentially I could be active in my church. However, that does not feel right to me.

That is a possible sign of a calling.

So anyways, about 4 months ago I started spiritual direction again. I even eventually mustered up enough courage to check out my local seminary. The seminarians seem great, and I think I would like the diocesan ministry. I can also see myself in a religious order, although I am still searching. My seminary had to shut down its academic program, so the seminarians stay at the local facility, but drive across town to another seminary for classes.

I have not been to the academic facilites, but a recently read a book called “The Collar” by Jonathan Englert that did scare me a bit. I liked the book, but some of the seminarians conduct was a bit scary. E.G. One guy would randomly defecate in sinks around the place. That just seems strange. Also, some of the classes seemed to over-emphasies the historical aspects of scripture study. I like studing history, but it seemed to move beyond that realm when the one professor mentioned that most of Jesus’ miracles did not happen.

I never read this book. What you need to do is make sure you’re going to an orthodox seminary.

I also read another book called “The Joy of Priesthood” by Fr. Stephen Rossetti. I liked this book as well, but again, it scared me a bit reading about how the pressures of the priesthood really made many priest just totally break down. This author was a counselor at an institution, dealing with priests that broke down. Many were pedophiles, alcoholics, etc (a host of other vices). He made some good points on how to live a healthy celibate life, and I do believe that he had great intentions while writing this. But both of these as vocational material were eye openers. I appreciate the honesty, so it is not like my diocese is painting a pretty picture for me. It makes you think.

Break downs and stress are part of any occupation. It is not unique to the priesthood. You should consider how many men are quite happy being priests. I doubt most priests ever regret their decision to follow God’s call. Try finding books with a more positive view.

As for my diocese, I like the Bishop, and many of the men seem great. I was concerned about the academic portion of the training, since I consider myself a bit more conservative. Are there other seminaries that one can attend? Are there any diocese that you would recommend?

The Diocese of Lincoln is fairly conservative. Since you’re willing to relocate, I suggest you consider FSSP, a religious order. There are plenty of other conservative dioceses out there as well. Other members here can tell you which ones to consider. I strongly suggest you steer clear of liberal and even “moderate” dioceses.

I recently wrote a greeting e-mail to the Pope and asked him to pray for me. I ask all of you to pray for me as well during this time of discernment. Thanks in advance.

Will do.

Just so you know something about me: I’m a sophomore in seminary right now, this is my first year since i transferred in.

ok, i was definately in your position too, so i know how your feeling about all of this. The best advice that anyone is going to give you is:

MAKE THE LEAP OF FAITH.

thats what i had to do, eventually i ended up just finally surrenduring to God and just saying “alright, You have bugged me about it enough, I give up.”

Its the best advice because if you don’t go, you will spend your future wondering if you should have gone.

Dont be spooked by the horror stories, everything has horror stories. You’ll find your fair share of odd stuff that happens at the seminary, but far less than you would find anywhere else. Its a pretty normal place. The environment is fantastic, there is no better place to deepen your spiritual life. The education is faaar better than any that I received at the big university that i went to before I came here.

Just go for it man, there is nothing to lose. Either way that it turns out, its the best thing that a guy can do for his future.

A
recently one of the priests who has served the Alaskan missions for years died. His missions can be reached only by flying, and I am always receiving appeals from that mission organization. This is an example of a crying need in the church for just such a skill, and just such a priest.

Yes many seminary formation programs have had problems. Work through the vocations director of your diocese, or of the Jesuit order, to find a good seminary. Because other persons pursuing this vocation had problems is no reason to ignore your own vocation. Get not only spiritual direction, but accept psychological direction (and advice on maintaining physical health) for such a demanding job, but don’t make an excuse to ignore a call from God.

Many people make the same mistake about the marriage vocation. Because their parents failed, were unfaithful, divorced or whatever, they fear to make that commitment themselves. Very foolish, very misguided, and very disdainful of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

My husband was stationed at a remote site in Alaska and their priest was also a bush pilot. He flew all over Alaska. One of the Jesuit priests I worked with also had his pilot’s license. You can be a priest and a pilot for sure.

Find a priest who is well-balanced and loves being a priest for the flip side.

Also, ask God what He wants you to do. Ask Him to keep you balanced, because that’s His will.

We need good priests - go for it!

“The Fifth Week” by Fr. William O’malley SJ is a good read regarding vocational discernment. 👍

I have not been to the academic facilites, but a recently read a book called “The Collar” by Englert that did scare me a bit. I liked the book, but some of the seminarians conduct was a bit scary. E.G. One guy would randomly defecate in sinks around the place. That just seems strange. Also, some of the classes seemed to over-emphasies the historical aspects of scripture study. I like studing history, but it seemed to move beyond that realm when the one professor mentioned that most of Jesus’ miracles did not happen.

Has anyone else read these books? If so, is there any advice you can give me concerning their interpretation? Are there any other “more positive” or other materials that I should read?
I’ve read the Collar. I like it. Do understand that the particular seminary which was in this book is probably a little left leaning (as the book itself tells straight out). But I think it presents a realistic view of things, too. Seminary isn’t a removal from real life where everything is fine and everybody wonderfully holy. Rather it is a deeper entry into real life where everybody is a wonderful mess seeking to become whole. The difference between this environment and what you might find “out there” is that things can be more intense since you’re living basically in a sort of community and can see clearly everyone’s faults. OTOH, you’re all basically working towards something whereby you do recognize the problems and are trying to deal with them… wheras in the secular world we too often just get deeper and deeper in the dung, running far far away from facing the truth and realities of life. You think you won’t see some pretty bad things in the secular world as a pilot or whatever, also? Wrong! So don’t be too afriad. It might not be a house of horrors to try seminary. But just have realistic expectations and don’t expect everything to be ideal, either. It’s a human environment and will be terribly human, for better or worse.

Thanks for the insight everyone, it is much appreciated. After reading through some of the posts, I had some additional questions / remarks.

How does one go about looking for a diocese that is willing to send there students to more conservative seminaries? I know many diocese send their students to a variety of places. Is there any semi-comprehensive list that is out there?

I was also interested in looking at organizations that need pilot’s / priests. While I have a lot of grass-field experience, I am not too familiar with mountain flying. I am assuming most priest-pilots fly non-pressurized light twins or singles, so knowing the tricks of mountain flying is a must. I am also interested in other world missions that require pilots as well.

I am not completely set on that however, since I do enjoy teaching as well. I am still searching for answers, and again - I find all the information being posted very fruitful.

When I mentioned some of the negative aspects of the books presented in my first post, I was merely accentuating the negative. I do realize that no one person or organization is perfect. I did like both of the books, but it seems that the mild aversion was more of a “gut” reaction. I know better, but something in side me was saying, “Wow! Some of these guys are pretty messed up.” I was just posting how I felt, I apologize if a came off as condeseding or “holier than thou”. That was not my intention.

I do feel called to be a priest, but I am also wrestling with the best way to do it. To add a little to the last thread. I studied Classical Languages in college and enjoyed teaching out in South Dakota. I like flying too, although at times I wonder if I would have went as far as I did without my family urging me along. I am orthodox and like both TLM and NO masses.

Thanks again

I dont know anything about your doicese, but I dont recommend “shopping for a diocese” as it is called around here. **Talk to your vocations director. ** he should be your best friend in the future. He can answer all of those questions. Just ask him about all of the seminaries that they send to, and tell him that you are conservative and all that stuff. They know what they are doin. Just ask him about it, he is going to give you far better advice than any of us on here will.

Homebrew, you make a good point. I did visit the seminary and met the vocation’s director. I had a very positive experience. I hadn’t been to the other seminary where academic classes are administered. That is where the whole book thing came in.

You were also correct in accessing what should be done. Afterall, one can only discern so much before action is taken 🙂

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Since you have a spiritual director you should be using him as your first and primary sounding board for your discernment.

Don’t have anything to add. Just wanted to say good luck and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back