need your help !

• Thread starter Thread starter Katie1723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katie1723

On a recent trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, I came across " St. Malo Retreat Center " It is a beautiful place and the church is gorgeous, however I was asked by my partner “who is St. Malo”? Dummy me had no answer, so I come to you for help. My partner make me chuckle when he said that "I thought Malo meant “bad”
Anyone have info on who St. Malo is??
~ Kathy ~

Got the following from www.newadvent.org. Looks like St. Malo is a place:

II. DIOCESE OF ST. MALOThe monk Malo (died about 600) at the end of the sixth century came from Wales at the head of a band of emigrants and founded two monasteries on the coast near the Roman post of Aleth. Two legendary biographies of him which date from the ninth century make him the first Bishop of Aleth. The biography of King Saint Judicael, written in the eleventh century, mentions as a contemporary of the king, a Saint Maelmon, Bishop of Aleth. Local breviaries of the fifteenth century, mention three bishops prior to Maelmon: Enogat, Gurval, and Coalfinit. In Mgr Duchesne’s opinion one thing only is certain that the Diocese of Aleth existed in Charlemagne’s time. The town of Aleth was destroyed by the Normans, and soon after 1141, the seat of the diocese was removed to the Isle of St. Aaron (so-called after a hermit who lived there early in the sixth century), on which stood the town afterwards known as St. Malo. This change was endorsed by Eugene III in spite of the protests of the monks of Marmoutiers who had a foundation on the island. Among the bishops of St. Malo are: Blessed John de la Grille (1144-63) under whom the see was transferred; William de Montfort (1423-32), cardinal in 1426; William Briçonnet (1493-1513); Harlay de Saucy (1632-46).

And I found the following on Catholic.org:
Feastday: November 15
Welsh bishop and missionary to Brittany, France. He is also called Machutis and Maclou. Malo was born near Llancarfan, Wales, and became a monk under St. Brendan, going with him to Brittany. He founded a center at Aleth, now called Saint-Malo. Pagan opposition forced him and his fellow monks to move to Saintes, France, where he is regarded as a bishop. Malo was recalled to Aleth but died on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back