New Rosary Mysteries (not counting the Mysteries of Light!)

• Thread starter Thread starter blackfish152
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blackfish152

Hi,I have been trying to develop a kind of scriptural way of praying the rosary,with gospel, OT, psalms,etc…before each of the Our Fathers and Hail Mary.

I want to take this to a new level and move outside the traditional 4 sets of CORE mysteries.

In the history of the development of Rosary many mysteries were prayed and mediated upon. It in no way conflicts with the church to do this even today as a supplement to the other 4 sets of mysteries.

**I was hoping someone might know of a website to get me started, in discovering some other sets of mysteries? **

Perhaps even the Eastern Orthodox pray a form of the rosary that might be able to be adapted to this method?

**any thoughts are much appreciated. **

m.

I was playing with the idea of some church history ones after and jewish history ones before.

A while back in *Our Sunday Visitor, *there was a long article about the Rosary. In the article, it mentioned a Seven-Part Chaplet Mystery. It has seven sets of meditation mysteries. They are as follows:

I. The Primeval Mysteries
— The creation of man
— The sin of Adam and Eve
— The brothers Cain and Abel
— Noah and the flood
— The Tower of Babel.

II. The Hebrew Mysteries
— Abraham and the Patriarchs
— Moses and the Nation
— Joshua and the Judes
— David and the Monarchy
— Elijah and the prophets

III. The Immaculate Mysteries
— The Immaculate Conception
— The Bith of Mary
— The presentation of Mary
— The Holy Virginity of Mary
— The Espousal of Mary and Joseph

IV. The Joyful Mysteries
— The Annunciation
— The Visitation
— The Birth of Jesus
— The Presentation of Jesus
— The finding of Jesus in the temple

V. The Luminous Mysteries
— The Baptism of Jesus
— The Miracle at Cana
— The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God
— The Transfiguration
— The Last Supper

VI. The Sorrowful Mysteries
— The Agony in the Garden
— The Scourging
— The Crowing with thorns
— The carrying of the cross
— The Crucifixion and Death

VII. The Glorious Mysteries
— The Resurrection
— The Ascension
— Decent of The Holy Spirit
— Assumption of Mary
— The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven.

How about trying one of the following:

The Crown of Seven Joys
  • Joy of the Annunciation
  • Joy of the Visitation
  • Joy of the Nativity & Magi
  • Joy of the Presentation
  • Joy of the Finding in the Temple
  • Joy of the Resurection
  • Joy of the Assumption
The Seven Sorrows of Mary:
  • The Prophecy of Simeon
  • The Flight to Egypt
  • The Loss of Jesus
  • The Way of the Cross
  • The Death of Jesus
  • The Receiving of the Body
  • The Burial of Jesus
If I’m not wrong, these are the ones which are used ny the Franciscans, and the ones which we normally use are those which are used by the Dominicans. (Correct me if I’m wrong though… )

sum pulvis

“Recordabor: tui pulvis est, et in pulverum reverteris!”

Some years ago I experimented with seven sets of mysteries to be prayed one day each throughout the week, the three traditional sets (this was before the Luminous Mysteries had been promulgated), plus four sets I made up to fill in the gaps. I don’t have my notebook with me where I wrote down the details, but they went more or less like this.

Monday: Mysteries of the Old Testament.
  1. The Creation.
  2. God’s Covenant with Abraham.
  3. The Exodus and the Ten Commandments.
  4. The Old Testament Prophets.
  5. St John the Baptist. I know he is technically not in the Old Testament, but he is a most fitting conclusion to a meditation on the Old Testament, transitioning to meditations about Jesus.
Tuesday: The Joyful Mysteries.

I know Tuesday is not a traditional day to pray these, but this was necessary to place these after the Old Testament Mysteries.

Wednesday: the Words of Jesus.

This set of Mysteries never had a set final form. I changed it around a lot, but it consisted mainly of selections from Jesus teaching and preaching ministry. An example of one way I might pray these is:
  1. The Prologue of St John. The Word became Flesh and dwelt among us…
  2. The Parables of Jesus. If a parable had been read in a recent Gospel reading at Mass I would generally use that, otherwise just choose one or more to meditate about.
  3. The Beatitudes.
  4. The Bread of Life Discourses.
  5. Jesus teaches the Lord’s Prayer.
Sometimes I would do all parables and choose five or more different ones, or all Beatitudes and choose five or more of those. Other meditations I sometimes used included Jesus’ words with the woman at the well, Jesus" words with Simon, renaming him Peter and giving him the keys, and Jesus’ words before Caiphas and Pilate.

Thursday: The Miracles of Jesus
  1. The Marriage at Cana.
  2. Jesus feeds the multitude.
  3. Jesus gives sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, heals the sick and lame, frees those posessed by evil spirits, and forvives sins.
  4. Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead.
  5. The institution of the Eucharist.
Friday: The Sorrowful Mysteries.

Saturday: The Glorious Mysteries

Sunday: Mysteries of the Church in the World

1. Jesus gives Peter authority as the first Pope.
  2. Paul and the the Apostles preach the Good News to the Jews andd Gentiles, and spread the Church throughout the known world.
  3. The Church throughout History. For this mystery, I would meditate about one or more Saints whose Feasts had been celebrated this week.
  4. The Church Today. For this I would pray for my own Pastor, Bishop, and our Holy Father today, and think about issues affecting the Church today.
  5. Christ will come again in Glory.
It’s interesting to note that except for the Transfiguration, the Luminous Mysteries tended to be included spread through here as well. I still sometimes use these mysteries when praying alone, but have found that the commonly known mysteries generally work better with group prayer.

These are very beautiful, thanks for sharing them! I have saved them for my prayers…

These are nice, but I personally like the traditional rosary and especially with the Luminous Mysteries.

40.png
awalt:
These are very beautiful, thanks for sharing them! I have saved them for my prayers…
I agree, thanks alot.

I chanced upon this website which contains many more rosaries. [Apparently it has an Eastern Catholic flavour to it which is perfectly fine by me :o), but some people may be slightly wary on the minor emphasis on Centering Prayer, which tends to be a controversial topic at times].

Thus, we the people of the same faith will continue to pray for greater unity amongst ourselves!!
livingrosaries.org/index.htm

pulvis sum

*Sunday: Mysteries of the Church in the World
  1. Jesus gives Peter authority as the first Pope.
  2. Paul and the the Apostles preach the Good News to the Jews andd Gentiles, and spread the Church throughout the known world.
  3. The Church throughout History. For this mystery, I would meditate about one or more Saints whose Feasts had been celebrated this week.
  4. The Church Today. For this I would pray for my own Pastor, Bishop, and our Holy Father today, and think about issues affecting the Church today.
  5. Christ will come again in Glory.*
These are great!

Here is a Rosary using Byzantine Catholic Prayers
The beginning prayers of this rosary are much longer than the traditioal rosary, but use the usual opening Byzantine prayers that you would expect in any of our services.

This rosary also uses the OLDEST version of the ‘Hail Mary’, which is a few words shorter. I tend to like this version of the Hail Mary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back