New, with a Spirituality question

• Thread starter Thread starter Ahbuzzy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ahbuzzy

I am not sure if this is where I should post this question but I will give it a shot. I am 27 years old and went to a catholic school until I was in ninth grade. I was raised catholic and my parents are very religious. I have not been to church in years. At a time I felt like I was not given the choice to be catholic and I was unsure if I too believed what my parents did. Now I am at a point in my life, I want to decide. However, I rememer very little from my childhood religious education. Is there a class that is offered through catholic churches that can help learn more about the catholic faith and help me “decide” by information??? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut!

:confused: 👍

Ahbuzzy

40.png
Ahbuzzy:
Is there a class that is offered through catholic churches that can help learn more about the catholic faith and help me “decide” by information??? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut!
There are RCIA classes in most parishes.

Also, try this:

Catholic Home Study Service
amm.org/chss.htm

hurst

Yes. Look into their RCIA classes. This stands for Right of Christian Initiation for Adults. People interested in the Catholic Faith are taught the faith. Classes typically begin in the Fall and end at Easter when the new members come into the fullness of their faith on Holy Saturday.

You can attend the RCIA classes without any obligation whatsoever.

Also, your local parish might have adult education classes in addition to RCIA - you might check in to that.

Also, check out this Catholic Answers sight for information, as well as ewtn.com and, above all,

PRAY! 🙂

:blessyou:

your first step is to attend Mass as often as you can, at least every Sunday. Pray every day in the prayers you remember from childhood, or in your own words.

as you are already Catholic you will not participate in RCIA, which is the way in which non-Catholics prepare to enter the Catholic Church. your first step is to visit the pastor and with his guidance make a general confession of the sins of your past life, receive absolution, and return to reception of Christ in holy communion. You can begin right now to return to Sunday Mass in preparation for this.

Then the priest can tell you how to prepare for Confirmation, the sacrament which completes your Baptism, releases the gifts of the Holy Spirit within you, strengthens your faith, and in which you profess your faith by reciting the Creed. As you prepare for Confirmation you also enter into parish life through service and participation in parish activities and ministries. This begins life-long faith formation and learning, either through formal bible studies, classes, seminars and retreats in your parish or diocese, or on your own.
welcome home

I read my way back into the church. One book that helped me early on was Mother Angelica’s Answers not Promises. I had no idea at that point that Mother Angelica was a public figure. Also, helpful was Rome Sweet Home by the Hahns. Also, get a Catechism and read that in use it for reference. It is difficult to read straight through, but it is essential for reference. One book sort of leads to another. Catholic radio and audio tapes are very helpful. You can browse at www.stjoe.com

Of course, it is very important to pray and to participate in the sacraments. And, unless you are afraid of too much pressure, I’m sure your parents would be helpful with literature and questions. I was 26 when I returned to the church. It was Divine Mercy Sunday. I have had a slow baby step kind of spiritual life. There are good RCIA programs, and unfortunately, there are so not so hot ones. In any case, be sure to do a lot of reading/exploration on your own.

Welcome Home!! I hope you stay.

40.png
puzzleannie:
as you are already Catholic you will not participate in RCIA, which is the way in which non-Catholics prepare to enter the Catholic Church. your first step is to visit the pastor and with his guidance make a general confession of the sins of your past life, receive absolution, and return to reception of Christ in holy communion. You can begin right now to return to Sunday Mass in preparation for this.
puzzleannie had some great suggestions, especially about attending Mass regularly.

However, you are more than welcome to attend RCIA classes if you wish. Please don’t take her post to mean that you should not be there or that you would not be welcome. That is not true. They are extremely informative (if conducted properly). You may have some of the same questions that some of the other RCIA members have. You will learn a lot. I (a crade Catholic) learned a great deal when I attended them with my husband.

Puzzle Annie

Our parish encourages Catholics who want to refresh their knowledge or learn more to come to RCIA meetings. When I went through RCIA several parish residents attended meetings although they were active Catholics.

hilde the dog:
Puzzle Annie

Our parish encourages Catholics who want to refresh their knowledge or learn more to come to RCIA meetings. When I went through RCIA several parish residents attended meetings although they were active Catholics.
Same here. What’s more, it provides a very “concrete” (if you will) way to see and hear what the Faith is all about. You are face to face with not only instructors, but also with people who are (sort of) in the same spot in their spiritual journey as you are.

actually there should be a number of adult Catholics participating in RCIA at any given times, either to learn more themselves, or as sponsors for “newbies”, but the first two posts seemed to suggest some already baptized Catholic MUST participate in RCIA in order to return to the Church. Also there is an idea that adult Confirmation class for Catholics is the same as RCIA, it is not, although they may share some classes and other activities with RCIA candidates.
hilde the dog:
Puzzle Annie

There is a parish in our diocese that runs special classes for those Catholics returning home. Check out your diocese for this may be common, I am not sure. I will pray for your journey. Read some of Jeff Cavins books, for he made the same Journey Home and he is a good writer.

40.png
Ahbuzzy:
I am not sure if this is where I should post this question but I will give it a shot. I am 27 years old and went to a catholic school until I was in ninth grade. I was raised catholic and my parents are very religious. I have not been to church in years. At a time I felt like I was not given the choice to be catholic and I was unsure if I too believed what my parents did. Now I am at a point in my life, I want to decide. However, I rememer very little from my childhood religious education. Is there a class that is offered through catholic churches that can help learn more about the catholic faith and help me “decide” by information??? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut!

:confused: 👍

Ahbuzzy
Blessings in your search…if you are seeking The Lord, much more is he seeking you. Some pretty good starting points I thought in these posts…and above all pray about it and ask The Lord to guide and guard you … He will not delay!

Peace and many blessings…Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back