S
sanctamaria17
Guest
I attend a liberal, Protestant university. In addition, my major is International Studies (minor in Economics), with a focus on International Development and an interest in both the environment and women’s rights.
On top of that, I am a practicing Catholic, striving to holiness and extremely pro-life (for ALL human life, from womb to tomb). I also am against artificial contraception. People often look at these two paragraphs and think, “So, how do all of these things mesh together?”
From what I’ve studied about NFP, it all makes more sense than the contraceptive mentality of our culture. From an environmental standpoint, it means less toxic chemicals entering our water supply (all the estrogens, synthetic materials of condoms, not to mention biological waste). From the standpoint of population, serious scholars do not even count it as a factor and realize that other factors, such as women’s education, malnutrition, women’s standing within society, and a survival instinct (knowing children die young, thus having more) are more important. Even from larger families I’ve known and had experience with, they tend to live a simpler lifestyle, with less material things that other families tend to throw away. Finally, there’s the point of discernment-knowing that NFP does not guarantee a larger family, but that families themselves have to ask, “Is it God’s will for me to have a child or another child?” Sometimes, God calls families to be smaller, sometimes not. The environmental impact comes from how we use the earth and its resources, more than how many children we have.
As for women’s rights…the saddest answer I’ve heard from self-proclaimed feminists, in response to the assertion that NFP is effective in pregnancy prevention, is that, “My husband wouldn’t want me to abstain.” How is that equality? What kind of man, if he claims to respect his wife, would DEMAND sex at all costs? Another assertion I’ve heard is that, “If a husband rapes his wife, NFP won’t help.” Then, why aren’t we (and I’m speaking of people working in the field, in these places) promoting programs that encourage respect between spouses and aiding women who are pushing for harsher punishments toward rape, both marital and non-marital? Finally, NFP teaches women basic literacy, counting skills, and finally, knowledge of her own body. How is that disempowering?
I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Preparing for Kenya (where I will most likely be working in a women’s organization) and the viewpoints expressed by both my professors and priests, as well as a friend preparing for marriage, a theology program, and a move to Africa herself, have made me think.
On top of that, I am a practicing Catholic, striving to holiness and extremely pro-life (for ALL human life, from womb to tomb). I also am against artificial contraception. People often look at these two paragraphs and think, “So, how do all of these things mesh together?”
From what I’ve studied about NFP, it all makes more sense than the contraceptive mentality of our culture. From an environmental standpoint, it means less toxic chemicals entering our water supply (all the estrogens, synthetic materials of condoms, not to mention biological waste). From the standpoint of population, serious scholars do not even count it as a factor and realize that other factors, such as women’s education, malnutrition, women’s standing within society, and a survival instinct (knowing children die young, thus having more) are more important. Even from larger families I’ve known and had experience with, they tend to live a simpler lifestyle, with less material things that other families tend to throw away. Finally, there’s the point of discernment-knowing that NFP does not guarantee a larger family, but that families themselves have to ask, “Is it God’s will for me to have a child or another child?” Sometimes, God calls families to be smaller, sometimes not. The environmental impact comes from how we use the earth and its resources, more than how many children we have.
As for women’s rights…the saddest answer I’ve heard from self-proclaimed feminists, in response to the assertion that NFP is effective in pregnancy prevention, is that, “My husband wouldn’t want me to abstain.” How is that equality? What kind of man, if he claims to respect his wife, would DEMAND sex at all costs? Another assertion I’ve heard is that, “If a husband rapes his wife, NFP won’t help.” Then, why aren’t we (and I’m speaking of people working in the field, in these places) promoting programs that encourage respect between spouses and aiding women who are pushing for harsher punishments toward rape, both marital and non-marital? Finally, NFP teaches women basic literacy, counting skills, and finally, knowledge of her own body. How is that disempowering?
I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Preparing for Kenya (where I will most likely be working in a women’s organization) and the viewpoints expressed by both my professors and priests, as well as a friend preparing for marriage, a theology program, and a move to Africa herself, have made me think.