No homily at Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter moho81
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moho81

Guest
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and when I moved here, I thought that the Catholic churches would be free of many of the liturgical abuses I’ve noted elsewhere. Alas, this is not the case. The one that’s really been bugging me lately is the supplanting of the homily with “commercials” or special speakers. I understand that there are certain times when this may be needed, but it’s gotten to be quite annoying as of late. This whole Advent season, I think I’ve heard MAYBE one real homily. I’m seriously considering changing parishes because of this, but I don’t know where I could go that would be any better, short of going downtown every Sunday for Mass… :confused:

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that off my chest!
 
Certainly you have a point. These forums have quoted the GIRM many times as to homilies and when and who may give them. Before church shopping, you might want to send a polite letter to the pastor and the bishop with your concerns. We have fund raiser speakers and religious orders Etc that ask to speak at our church. If they are approved, it is always just before the final prayer that they make a brief pitch. Latest figures show that about 70 percent of the world’s population are not completely free to worship as they please, thank God we still can.

God bless 🙂
 
How odd you should bring this up. Are you my old school chum, Karen??

I just got back from Chgo and the surrounding burbs. The Mass in Mokena was wonderful but the Mass in Rolling Meadows/Schaumberg was different from Mass as I know it here in my little Southern town and different from Masses when I was much younger in Chgo. I was with an old school chum and she and I both remarked about it. Now with Advent it seems there is time spent with speakers.

I will tell you though that the best Mass I heard when I was in Illinois was from FR. George McKenna at Midway airport before my plane departed. His Mass was so good that I bought his book, “Wisdom From the Pulpit.”
 
@ Plato3: Somehow, I don’t feel that writing a letter to the pastor would do much good, since he’s used homily time to pitch fundraisers, and he omits “men” from the Creed… Right now, I think my husband and I won’t officially change parishes, just go to another for Mass.

@ horselvr: Haha, no, I’m not your friend Karen, but I am glad that you mentioned Rolling Meadows, because that’s the church my husband and I were going to try next, and I think it actually is our territorial parish. We chose another one in a nearby city because we liked how orthodox it seemed, but the more we go, the more we dislike it 😦 We went to Mass at Holy Name last night, and it felt so much better there…

Thanks for the replies, and may God bless you! 🙂
 
\I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and when I moved here, I thought that the Catholic churches would be free of many of the liturgical abuses I’ve noted elsewhere\

And where did you get that idea?
 
Chicago has a notoriously “tough” presbyterate. They are not known to play well with others.
 
Certainly you have a point. These forums have quoted the GIRM many times as to homilies and when and who may give them. Before church shopping, you might want to send a polite letter to the pastor and the bishop with your concerns. We have fund raiser speakers and religious orders Etc that ask to speak at our church. If they are approved, it is always just before the final prayer that they make a brief pitch. Latest figures show that about 70 percent of the world’s population are not completely free to worship as they please, thank God we still can.

God bless 🙂
Noting the use of the GIRM concerning The Homily one has to ask why the laity should have to
send a polite letter to the pastor and the bishop with your concerns
from the onset. Bishops and Priests know the laws of the Church unless there are some who wish to circumvent them on their own whims.

Thankfully in my own Archdiocese where I’ve witnessed my fair share of liberalism, it hasn’t got to this point yet. And if it did the archbishop would get a scolding reception from orthodox parishioners.

**The Homily
  1. The homily is part of the Liturgy and is strongly recommended,63 for it is necessary for the nurturing of the Christian life. It should be an exposition of some aspect of the readings from Sacred Scripture or of another text from the Ordinary or from the Proper of the Mass of the day and should take into account both the mystery being celebrated and the particular needs of the listeners.64
  2. The Homily should ordinarily be given by the priest celebrant himself. He may entrust it to a concelebrating priest or occasionally, according to circumstances, to the deacon, but never to a lay person.65 In particular cases and for a just cause, the homily may even be given by a Bishop or a priest who is present at the celebration but cannot concelebrated.
There is to be a homily on Sundays and holy days of obligation at all Masses that are celebrated with the participation of a congregation; it may not be omitted without a serious reason. It is recommended on other days, especially on the weekdays of Advent, Lent, and the Easter Season, as well as on other festive days and occasions when the people come to church in greater numbers.66

After the homily a brief period of silence is appropriately observed.**
 
We’d be happy to have you to our conservative parish in Huntley, maybe 25 minutes from where you are. Website link is below.

Merry Christmas.

stmaryhuntley.org/
 
I suppose I was under the impression that Chicagoland would be more orthodox because my husband grew up in the south suburbs, and I’ve been to his old parish, which is absolutely beautiful, and the Mass was wonderful (although one time, there was a “commercial…” grrrr). I also thought that, with some exceptions, the Midwest tends to be a more conservative, traditional place, as compared to southern California, where I was born and raised. Go figure! 🤷

I’ll talk to my fella and see what he thinks about going to Mass in Huntley, and if anyone else has suggestions, please post them!

God bless you all! 🙂
 
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and when I moved here, I thought that the Catholic churches would be free of many of the liturgical abuses I’ve noted elsewhere. Alas, this is not the case. The one that’s really been bugging me lately is the supplanting of the homily with “commercials” or special speakers. I understand that there are certain times when this may be needed, but it’s gotten to be quite annoying as of late. This whole Advent season, I think I’ve heard MAYBE one real homily. I’m seriously considering changing parishes because of this, but I don’t know where I could go that would be any better, short of going downtown every Sunday for Mass… :confused:

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that off my chest!
The most egregious “abuse” I am subject to is when we have to view a video during (and instead of) the homily of our bishop talking about the Bishop’s appeal. This seems pretty common, from my experience. Don’t the bishops and diocesan staff understand the GIRM?
 
moho81, do you remember some of the points of the last homily you heard?

Would you like to share them with us?

As far as a video from the Bishop instead of the homily, is there any real difference between that and a pastoral letter the Bishop might require to be read for the homily in churches in his diocese?
 
moho81, do you remember some of the points of the last homily you heard?

Would you like to share them with us?

As far as a video from the Bishop instead of the homily, is there any real difference between that and a pastoral letter the Bishop might require to be read for the homily in churches in his diocese?
Yes. It may likely have no bearing on the Scripture proclaimed nor the liturgical feast/season.
 
I honestly can’t remember much of the last real homily I heard at my parish, as it was about a month ago 😛 If the little bits that are coming back to me are accurate, it was essentially a run-of-the-mill talk about Advent and preparing for the birth of Christ. Not to say that His birth isn’t extraordinary and wonderful, just that the homily sounded like those that I’ve heard so many times before. That’s another thing that’s been bugging me: the homilies seem to lack a lot of depth… Perhaps I’m being too harsh, but I think because of the churches I was going to before I moved here (I was in Denver before), I was “spoiled,” for lack of a better term, with good homilies and liturgies. What a sad state of affairs we have when one thinks of him or herself as spoiled when used to things being done the right way…
 
moho81, do you remember some of the points of the last homily you heard?

Would you like to share them with us?

As far as a video from the Bishop instead of the homily, is there any real difference between that and a pastoral letter the Bishop might require to be read for the homily in churches in his diocese?
As I understand it, recorded music and recorded messages are forbidden at Mass - everything is supposed to be done by live human beings, because it is supposed to be “worship.” (This is one reason why the Church debated for many years over the use of musical instruments in Church, as well - because they are “machines that make sound” and not people - but they ultimately got a pass, because the human beings using them could be said to be causing them to make the sounds, and they can’t operate by themselves.)
 
As I understand it, recorded music and recorded messages are forbidden at Mass - everything is supposed to be done by live human beings, because it is supposed to be “worship.” (This is one reason why the Church debated for many years over the use of musical instruments in Church, as well - because they are “machines that make sound” and not people - but they ultimately got a pass, because the human beings using them could be said to be causing them to make the sounds, and they can’t operate by themselves.)
And yet many churches use recorded accompaniments for the choir–and even hymns sung by the congregation.
 
As I understand it, recorded music and recorded messages are forbidden at Mass - everything is supposed to be done by live human beings, because it is supposed to be “worship.”
You may be remembering De Musica Sacra, which specifically exempts recorded messages from the ordinary:
  1. The use of automatic instruments and machines, such as the automatic organ, phonograph, radio, tape or wire recorders, and other similar machines, is absolutely forbidden in liturgical functions and private devotions, whether they are held inside or outside the church, even if these machines be used only to transmit sermons or sacred music, or to substitute for the singing of the choir or faithful, or even just to support it.
    However, such machines may be used, even inside the church, but not during services of any kind, whether liturgical or private, in order to give the people a chance to listen to the voice of the Supreme Pontiff or the local Ordinary, or the sermons of others. These mechanical devices may be also be used to instruct the faithful in Christian doctrine or in the sacred chant or hymn singing; finally they may be used in processions which take place outside the church, as a means of directing, and supporting the singing of the people.
However, as to videotapes of the bishop, that would probably fall within this paragraph:
  1. The use of any kind of projector, and particularly movie projectors, with or without sound track, is strictly forbidden in church for any reason, even if it be for a pious, religious, or charitable cause.
It’s not clear to me whether this is still fully binding today, or if it has since been superseded in whole or in part.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top