"No one likes a whinger"

• Thread starter Thread starter Flopfoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flopfoot

That is what a priest told me once when I confessed to complaining too much. Most commonly I complain when I have to do work around the house or yard (although I still do the work). I also complain often in conversation, telling people what has annoyed me lately. They don’t always let on, but I guess they don’t really like it, with me always looking at the half empty cup. This is probably one of my oldest problems (not surprisingly - I’m sure all of us as children didn’t like doing the housework), and I wonder if it’s something that I can avoid just by a sheer matter of will, to be aware not to voice what I don’t like about the present situation (particularly when I’m asked to do work)… or is there something else I have to do / can do about it?

Have you thought about an accountability partner? A spouse or friend who can keep you on track. Someone to tell you when you are doing it again. Then you can take a moment to pray a prayer of praise for all your blessings, mentally turn your thoughts around to a forced idea of the cup being half-full, and apologize to the person you whined to. After a while, you won’t be forcing yourself. A little while more and you won’t be conciously turning your thoughts around as they will be more respectful the first time around.

Lastly, realize that stopping whining means that you will start doing the important thing: acting to stop injustice, to spread the faith, to bring your life in line with Christ’s. Your thoughts and actions (and if necessary words) all reflect this desire that should be an overiding desire in your life to bring yourself closer to God. If there is an injustice needing righting, go do something about it. If there is a drug dealer next door, call the cops. Or start packing. If you were on the receiving end of a lack of charity, use the opportunity to grow in faith. If your boss is a jerk, maybe you should look for a new job. Whining gets you no where. And it makes the people around you hate your voice. If you can do something about it, do it. If you can’t do anything about, then pray. And if you just need to vent, make it clear that you are just frustrated and want to talk through something instead of whining in a pity party type of way.

If your whining is directed at a spouse, I recommend working on good communication skills that will foster his love for you and make him desire to show that love. His Needs, Her Needs by Harley is my book of choice for that.

You might try the power of positive thinking. I believe there is a book of the same name by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, a best-seller, and one that would not endanger the faith of a Catholic. It teaches another way of viewing things in a more favorable, trusting light. As St. Paul exclaimed, ALL things work together for good for those who love God.

Whenever you become aware of negativity or complaining (which is usually born of our dislike for something) … ask God to show you His mind, and ask Him if there is another way of looking at it. Try to observe what opposite thoughts or remedies come to mind. It often helps to try and see if there is another meaning in somebody’s words, or a good intention which is often hidden from our judgment.

Carole

Dear friend

Pray this prayer adaptation hymn of St Therese of Liseux; note the emphasised lines (my emphasis):

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs I do not pray;
Keep me, my God, from stain of sin just for today.
Help me to labor earnestly and duly pray;
Let me be kind in word and deed, Father, today.

Let me no wrong or idle word unthinking say;
Set Thou a seal upon my lips through all today.

Let me in season, Lord, be grave, in season gay;
Let me be faithful to Thy grace, dear Lord, today.

And if, today, this life of mine should ebb away,
Give me Thy sacrament divine, Father, today.
So for tomorrow and its needs I do not pray;
Still keep me, guide me, love me, Lord, through each day.

Everything is grace.

You might like to remember to offer all these things that get under your skin to the Lord as penance or offering for an intention in accordance with God’s will, after all if you don’t like something it is a form of suffering to you and a form of suffering that is not complained about to others is a pure offering to the Lord. Having said all of that confine everything to Jesus and tell Him how much you dislike doing something and how it makes you feel, He will help you with that, Jesus desires us to tell Him even the smallest of things about ourselves. By the way I have a particular chore that is a real bug bear to me and whenever I do that chore I pray my way through it by making it an offering of suffering 🙂 . This way, in the light of the little way of St Therese, all chores, all actions are sanctified by offering them to the Lord Jesus. Remember any work we do, we are working for God. To pick up a piece of paper from the floor for love of God and love of others is a holy action when offered to God.

I’ll keep you in my prayers for your journey and growth in holiness and when you remember say a little prayer for me from time to time, believe me I need them!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I remember one day in junior high school realizing that all the “cool kids” complained constantly. Shortly thereafter, in order to become more accepted, I started to do that, too. Sadly, I must report that I did feel more included once I started complaining.

It wasn’t until I matured some more and began to look deeply into my faith that I grew out of the complaining thing. What I find helpful now is to realize that what I deserve in return for my sins is so much worse than whatever happens to me. I try to cultivate an attitude of thankfulness for everything, even the negative things. If I bang my foot and it’s very painful, I have trained myself to thank God for letting me share in the Cross in this small way. It’s as simple as saying “thank you” instead of “@#$%&?!.”

The other thing is simply to put a guard on the mouth. Think before speaking, and it’s easier to break the habit of complaining. Hope this helps.

Betsy

40.png
Flopfoot:
That is what a priest told me once when I confessed to complaining too much. Most commonly I complain when I have to do work around the house or yard (although I still do the work). I also complain often in conversation, telling people what has annoyed me lately. They don’t always let on, but I guess they don’t really like it, with me always looking at the half empty cup. This is probably one of my oldest problems (not surprisingly - I’m sure all of us as children didn’t like doing the housework), and I wonder if it’s something that I can avoid just by a sheer matter of will, to be aware not to voice what I don’t like about the present situation (particularly when I’m asked to do work)… or is there something else I have to do / can do about it?
I used to complain a great deal. ( when I was younger ) Not when
I had to do work, but when I was cranky, or didn’t like my exe’s
friends. Or, when I didn’t get my way. I thought to myself after
it was kindly pointed out to me by my dad, and my husband: "
see how awful you sound? " “Why not put on a happy face, and
do things even if you don’t want to?” Handle things you are given
with a humble atittude, and with a mild personality. Alot of us
have to do things, work or otherwise that we don’t like doing.
When Iam cranky, it is usually because my back is sore, and
my hip hurts, or Iam plain tired out. I want to complain, but then
I think of how hard my husband works after a long day, and I put on my happy face and am quiet when he comes home.If we all
decided to not do things we didn’t want to, then nothing would
get done would it? We can’t expect others to not be irritated when we complain about things. The best thing to do is to talk out your
feelings, or write them down in a journal. A journal is a good idea.
I keep one myself. You can do this, if your a journal type person.
Write down exactly what your wanting to complain about. Keep
track of your moods, and so on. Tell yourself, you’ll adopt a less
complaining type personality, and as you practice it, and go over your journal in 6 months, you can look back on it, and say, “wow,
I have come along way!” It does help! Also, note peoples reactions
to your changing, it helps because it gives you an indepth look
into your own personality. You can also ask family members to
help you out, or a loved one. or even a friend. When they see you
wanting to complain about something, ask them to direct you onto
something else that gets your mind off it. Get a good self help book. Here is something to help you out as well when you feel like
complaining, and I try to remember it as much as possible because it stops me from wanting to complain. Think how Christ never complained when He carrried the cross, bleeding and scourged! Think also how He never complained when they were driving the nails into His hands and feet. This will help humble any
attitude. Believe me. It works for me! Keep a positive attitude, and
best wishes to you!

No one likes someone who complains all the time. Hmm… that sounds like… a complaint. :hmmm:

When my kids came to me with a complaint, usually about something a sibling had done, and were using a whiney tone, I would ask them if they wanted sympathy or respect. They knew from experience that I didn’t give both at the same time. They would then take a deep breath and start again, detailing what had happened in a factual manner.

I encouraged them to look for solutions to things they didn’t like, rather than just complain because that didn’t solve anything. I wanted my kids to be problem solvers, not victims.

Dear friend

To complain is to complain about what God has allowed to happen to you for the benefit of your soul and for your salvation, then we can see there is no wisdom in complaining!

Instead of complaining start helping those worse off than yourself.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

It would seem that to stop complaining would be an act of charity.

Eileen T:
When my kids came to me with a complaint, usually about something a sibling had done, and were using a whiney tone, I would ask them if they wanted sympathy or respect. They knew from experience that I didn’t give both at the same time.
Eileen, I love this! What a wise mother you are!

Betsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back