Non-Catholic funeral services

• Thread starter Thread starter Weathergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Weathergirl

An acquaintance of mine was recently killed in an automobile accident. There is going a memorial service at the funeral home later this week. There are no plans for a formal church funeral. My friend was not Catholic, and I don’t think she attended any other type of church, either.

At the time of her death, my friend was living an active homosexual life and her “partner” was also killed in the accident. The memorial service at the funeral home is going to be held jointly for both women, and will likely be conducted by a gay minister from a gay-friendly church of some sort. There will probably be many actively homosexual persons in attendance as well. Here is my question. As a devout, practicing Catholic, should I attend this service? I would like to be there out of concern and respect for my departed friend, but at the same time I don’t feel it appropriate to participate in activities that might celebrate or affirm my friend or her deceased partner (or others in attendance) in their homosexual “lifestyles.” Does the Church have any teaching or advice on such situations?

Hi, Weathergirl, I didn’t know the answer to your question, so I looked in the Catechism. It says, among other things: “They should be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity.” CCC 2358 if you want to read the whole paragraph in context. Does that help?

This is a duplicate thread, and will now be closed.

Thanks!

(See other thread HERE.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back