Non-noble saints 700-1500AD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dranu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dranu

Guest
Someone recently made a claim that all the saints between this time period were of noble origin. Though I know a great many are, I was curious if anyone knows some that aren’t. One I found was Joan of Arc, but I can’t seem to find any others.
 
Well, I believe that St. Francis of Assisi came from a non-noble (but well to do) family.

In any case, considering the fact that often times details of their lives are often sketchy (particularly before around 1000 AD) it would be difficult to make such a blanket statement. Even after 1000 AD, it is not unusual for few reliable details to be recorded about a saint’s early life prior to conversion. In fact, there were a number of noble saints, but mainly because those willing to give up a life of privilege for a life of service were bound to attract attention.

–
Bill
 
I myself don’t realy care if they were noble or not (person who asked me might or might not though), and I agree giving up power and fortune certianly attracts attention (and that there are unknown saints to us), and being educated in this time is more likely to have you be remembered.

Another one I think I found is St. Catherine of Siena.
 
Someone recently made a claim that all the saints between this time period were of noble origin. Though I know a great many are, I was curious if anyone knows some that aren’t. One I found was Joan of Arc, but I can’t seem to find any others.

Isidore the Farmer 🙂 d. 1170. (He was one of the Spaniards canonised on the same day in 1622 as St. Philip Neri)​

Aur[e]a of Cordova (martyred at Cordova in 856) was born of Muslim parents, & became a nun.

St. Engelmer, a hermit, murdered in 1096, was the son of a Bavarian labourer.

They do exist 🙂 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top